soldAnyone interested? Estimated value?

• Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

30+ years ago when I wanted to learn more about the many ways and places to catch the often-elusive walleye I started to collect and organize articles related to the various techniques and locations. It’s amassed to an estimated 378 articles from – In-Fisherman writers, RCL/FLW writers and many, many others.

Bonus items: Paperback books: Daryl Christensen’s “Journal of a Walleye Pro,” In-Fisherman’s “Walleye Wisdom”, DVD’s: In-Fisherman 21st century walleye strategies, 2005 FLW Walleye tour (complete season), US Army Corps of Engineers Upper Mississippi River Navigation Charts 2001 edition

I have no idea the value of this collection of information but thought I’d throw it out there to see what the IDO anglers had in mind. (We have one avid catfish angler in the family and the others enjoy fishing but would never be interested in this level of learning to upgrade their walleye knowledge.)

Are their anglers interested in this type of media or is everything obtained via electronic media, FB, etc? I’m not completely confident I’m willing to part with this collection, yet but now that I have them better organized thought, I’d put it out there for others to comment. Appreciate your input.

{Little history for those interested as to why I might have been interested in learning more techniques.}
    I grew up fishing LOW with one of my best friends known to me as “Gramps.” Somewhere around 1963 as a little 3-year-old he’d drag me along to his cabin (mobile home) located one lot down river of today’s ever popular Sportsman’s Lodge on the Rainy river. Back then Jones’s Resort and Sportsman’s Lodge flanked Gramps little ~70 foot by 10 foot “cabin.” (Last time I was up there the “cabin” was still there and has been kept up nicely.) Jones’s resort and Gearhart Oak Island flight service is no longer there as Sportsman’s continues to expand business. Gramps was a one trick pony but wow had he ever mastered how to catch walleyes. His rig went something like this. Prescott spinner rig (4” stainless rod with blade attached. My perceived advantage? Blade spun at very low speeds) spinner blade was silver or gold hammered #3 Colorado), 2-ounce inline sinker (rarely did that weight change), a 1/0 long shank gaff, I mean hook with a fat head minnow impaled on the gaff. Rarely we’d use this fat little stubby hooked thing called jigs (learned this many years later) but 99 times out of 100 it was the spinner rig. If I only had a penny for the walleyes. of all sizes, that we’d bring over the side of his 18-foot Larson powered by a 135 Johnson (smoky biotch early mornings). Gramps always carried a compact Coleman cook stove so each of us grandkids could pick the fish we wanted to eat for lunch on the shores of Pine Island (prior to the bird loving ban). I had 3 older sibs who were more than enough help on the farm so I was often free to go fishing to help with the net and those other tough tasks. We lost Gramps in 1975 and I walked away from fishing as I had no interest in chasing them with anyone else. Fast forward 20 years and I was once again inflicted with a passion to go fishing for old marble eyes. Now relocated to SE MN it was time to learn how to catch them in different locations using a variety of techniques. Education has always been my key to moving forward in a healthy manner. Hence the reason I started to read and work to apply that learning. Some days it works other days those darn finnicky walleyes win. Thanks for reading.}

[File name], [# of articles]

Techniques
    Weights (In-line), 1
    Rigging, 5
    Bottom bouncing, 2
    Drop shot, 2
    Spoons, 5
    Bobber, 5
    Spinners, 14
    Deadstick, 2
    Plastics, 8
    Rattle Baits (Noise), 2
    Snap weights, 3
    Jigs, 8
    Pitching, 3
    Blades, 4
    Artificial, 1
    Bait, 1
    Handlining, 5
    Contour trolling, 5
    Counter current trolling, 1
    Speed, 3
    Structure, 1
    Planer boards, 4
    Suspended, 3
    Leadcore, 4
    Three ways, 5
    Cranking depths, 5
    Trolling fast, 1
    Lipless cranks, 1
    Wingdams, 5
    Big cranks, 1
    Stick baits, 1
    Miscellaneous, 16

Movements
    Summer, 4
    Spring, 9
    Fall, 12
    Pre-spawn, 3
    Match the forage, 2
    Post spawn, 3
    Basics for success, 10
    Wind, 2
    Breakline/Structure, 5
    Reservoirs, 2
    Weeds, 3
    No wind, 1
    Migration study, 1
    High water/Flooding, 3
    Wing dams, 7
    Dam fishing, 4
    Trolling the river, 4
    Shallow, 3
    Shallow Spring nights, 1
    Night, 5
    Miscellaneous, 17
    Ice eyes, 8
    Tough bite, 2

Locations
    Mississippi, 4
    Fox Chain of Lakes, IL, 2
    Illinois river, 2
    Erie
    Cleveland, 1
    Port Clinton, 6
    Dunkirk, 2
    General, 12
    Michigan
    Detroit river, 10
    Saginaw Bay, 6
    Bays De Noc, 3
    Keeweenaw waterway, 3
    St. Mary’s river, 3
    Minnesota
    Leech, 2
    Cass, 2
    Mississippi, 8
    LOW, 4
    Mille Lacs, 2
    North Dakota
    Devils lake, 12
    Missouri river, 1
    Sakakawea, 1
    South Dakota
    Oahe, 7
    Francis Case, 6
    Sharpe, 2
    Wisconsin
    Madison chain of lakes, 1
    Winnebago, 6
    Green Bay, 3
    Southern lakes
    Bull Shoals, Ark, 6
    Lake Cumberland (Russell Springs, KY), 1
    General info, 3
    West
    Western rivers, 1
    Kansas
    Milford Lake, 2

Miscellaneous
    Amateur info, 2
    Sponsorship, 1
    Organization ideas, 1
    Pro tips, 9
    Saugers, 3

Attachments:
    1. Miss-Nav-Charts.jpg

2. Ringworm-article.jpg

3. File-pic.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Knowledge is king!

Great job organizing things. So all the articles are copies? Put into the files or are they the actual piece clipped out of the magazine or newspaper?

I think fishing with Grandpa is something most of us can remember even if we can’t remember our wives birthday. grin

I think the collection has some value, likely not what a person would hope after doing all the work but none the less it should have some value. The real question is if you sold it would you break it up? I might be interested but only if it sold as a complete package.

Pretty cool no matter what you decide.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Morning, Dutch! Appreciate your feedback.

1 – I would NOT split this up.
    2 – 98% of the articles are actual clippings from the magazines. Very few photo copies
    3 – Not looking to get rich here. Would really like to get these in the hands of someone who truly desires to improve their ability to catch walleyes when the conditions make it challenging. After all, who can’t catch ’em when it’s a suicide bite. It’s when the conditions call for an angler to leave their comfort zone and then connect with the knowledge they learned. Nothing more gratifying when it comes to angling. Combine that with making some of your own gear then applying the knowledge? Consuming a few of those walleyes with family, friends and fellow walleye geeks is closest I’ll ever get to heaven on earth… But that’s just me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think your target would be a young tournament angler just getting started. The information there should help the learning curve although I don’t know if anybody reads anymore unless they are our age. doah

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d love to buy this for my own nerdy selfish collection…but don’t think I would ever put it to as good of use as someone else may.

Thanks for sharing!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Kurt,

I’d take them.

I have a collection that big already, but none of which from magazines. All from the net, printed. If I’m not your target recipient that’s fine too!

I even have every single post worth reading, printed, dated, and location, from IDO for P2,P3,P4,StCroix.

I prefer reading to videos, absolutely.
    Will be down through Rochester the 16th probably.

If you want them to go to a good home and get read, I wouldn’t disappoint ya.
    I’m still learning how to catch em )

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

FBRM – can’t say I really have a particular target audience in mind. My 1st thought with you buying them FBRM? That angler has forgot more about river fishing than I’ll ever know, LOL!

Let me give this post a few days to understand what type of interest exists in today’s electronic world.

I’ll be back in touch before a few days prior to the 16th.

Appreciate your interest!

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

IDO fans – what is a fair price for this set of info? $50?

Not looking to get rich here and would like to pass these along to another avid walleye fan.

Thank you

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I could be wrong but my opinion is that nobody is really going to be and to give you a price. They are worth what you think they are and what someone will pay. It’s a really nice collection but it’s also a niche product so it would be really tough to put a value on it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone interested? Estimated value?’ is closed to new replies.