Anyone got advice on snaring coyotes

• mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m going to trap this fall and winter, season starts the 1st’ of November here in Iowa. After I run the river and it has iced up I’m going to try for Coyotes. I’ve never tried for them and am going to use snares so I need advice On the where and what toos and what to use for bait, Coyotes are as thick and fleas on a dog here.

The Cedar here is absolutely covered in coon tracks with many young prints with big numbers of fresh roadkills, you see 3 to 4 young ones killed in one spot. Going to go by river for coons until it freezes up and also going to try for muskrats, mink, maybe a few beaver too but the main money for is going to be coons. The wife was on the web doing searches for fur and related links and found a link that gave reports on numbers per state around the midwest. In Nebraska and Iowa the populations are supposed to be very good, maybe I’ll hit a 50% catch rate per number of sets daily for the first week. Going to run fences on gravel roads after the river freezes up After that for a few coons when it get the occasional warm spell and going for coyotes. Anyone have any advice?

jime
    Participant

I heard that the buyers in NW Iowa were telling all trappers to hold off
    trapping coon for at least …..two weeks.

Check with your buyer before you start setting.

tweed

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I run cable restraints on a few frozen creeks and trails. I use a 12×12 method – 12″ loop x 12″ off the ground to the bottom of the loop. I look for natural bottle necks and try to very lightly grass over over if possible. WI laws are pretty restrictive in the application and use. Make sure to review IA laws

Jim Katakis
    Participant
    North West Ohio

Find fence breaks and put them between there. Beware of your set though, wolf and the farmers dog can fall victim to these traps recommend checking daily with binos if possible.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jim, Its been warm here and the outlook for through mid November is above normal so maybe they want guys to hold off so the animals will get a get a thicker pelt. Took a drive yesterday to buy some traps and seen some recent roadkills and they look to be pelted out pretty fair but didn’t stop to take a look. It could be because of the pelts that are held over from last year, but the forecast on the web is that developing nations are again going to be buying garments that are trimmed in fur and few fur coats like last year, so thats good, the long term forecast for the next three years is the same, is it longterm speculation or based on fact I couldn’t find an answer.

Next week I’m going to be searching the river banks for the best densities for coon prints and making my pocket sets and putting out scent rags a few days before the traps go down.

Its all new to me Randy because the last time I trapped was 40 years ago and there wasn’t any coyotes around here, now their all over the place and its going to be a learning experience and I’ll probably be messaging you for your input. I did talk to a guy who traps coyotes and asked him about using coon carcasses for bait he said coyotes aren’t real fond of them because of the grease they have and are more fond of animals like rabbits and squirrels. He did say if you want eagles around where you can get close pictures of them to use the carcasses to bring them in, he said they really go for the fat when you shave the hide, especially during mid winter when everythings frozen up solid.

Thats what I’m going to be doing Jim is fencelines because I can drive, set and check them from the roads, no wolfs around here, I’ve heard of the occasional grey wolf in southern Iowa coming up from Missouri. Some of The smaller field creeks stay open longer and don’t ice up so quick so I’ll be setting for muskrats and mink too. Some of those little creeks have small pools before and after the culverts as the water goes under the roads and hold quite a few muskrats and mink, enough to make it worth setting a couple traps for. The chubs and mice that are in and around those little open pools makes it worth while to set for mink, mink are great swimmers and a small chub is a good meal for them, one or two of them a week and the mink do fine. Going to build a skinning shed sometime in the next week or so where I put my boat in. George the old boy whos ramp I’m using had an excavator come in last year to clean out a cut for his ramp because the high water two years ago brought in a bunch of sand so I’m going to leave my boat right there in the river. I’ve got drywall finishing jobs to do and the customers I’m going to do them for said they can wait until after ice up when I can’t trap from the river, so it should be a good winter.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Check your regs carefully. Snares tend to have a lot of rules around them if they are legal at all. Make absolutely sure that the landowner understands you are using snares and exactly where they are set. Make sure he can/will warn all others to stay away. This is very important if other hunters with dogs could be present, which in IA I’m guessing would be a strong possibility.

Grouse

river rat randy
    Participant
    Hager City WI

I did all my coyote snaring the winter months. Dec. Jan. feb. Coyotes can be come creatures of habit. There is snow that time of year. So the song dogs will tell you where to make some of your sets with there tracks. …rrr

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Randy that’s what I was going to do after the river freezes up and the coons are prone to lay up during cold dips. I knew fox were animals of habit, following tractor and ATV tracks in the snow etc. but didn’t know that about coyotes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.