Anyone else here own a home in the Fort Myers area?

• CaptainMusky

Hurricanes yes just like tornados in the central United States.
    Hurricanes of this magnitude however are not that common.
    Are you suggesting people should not live in Florida because there are hurricanes.

I wouldnt suggest people not live in those areas, but perhaps some different thinking about how close to the coast they build perhaps. I mean, you go to Galveston (among many other cities) and all of the homes are up on stilts yet you dont see much of that in Florida. I wonder why?

Ripjiggen

Just about all the new builds on Ft Myers Beach are elevated.
    There are building there built along time ago that are gone. Wouldn’t exactly say it this type of Hurricane happens again and again.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are you suggesting people should not live in Florida because there are hurricanes.
    [/quote]

I never suggested not living in Florida, I mean I wouldn’t suggest it, but not to live ocean side, just like not living in tornado alley. I hope the best for everyone including my sister who lives on the ocean. But I guess I don’t feel as bad knowing every one knows it happens. Just like the people with no water in the desert.

Ripjiggen

Sure I guess. Not everyone wants to live in rural Minnesota.
    I mean Orlando got 2 feet of rain and that’s not exactly ocean side. I guess if everyone didn’t live ocean side they would be living in North Branch and it wouldn’t exactly be the same.

Deuces

Nature does it thing, always does, but we do our human thing and build right back, y, bc we can. If folks got the money who gives a F? Insurance as mentioned protects themselves and the rest of their customers from huge price hikes from these types.

Looks like a big opportunity for a bunch of blue collar people to make some money from my viewpoint. Sat on ft.myers Beach last January enjoyed the cocktails and bikinis, maybe this next year it’ll be a bit cheaper!

Ripjiggen

Good chance it won’t be bikini clad and cocktails by next year but yeah going to take a lot of folks to build it back up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I mean Orlando got 2 feet of rain and that’s not exactly ocean side. I guess if everyone didn’t live ocean side they would be living in North Branch and it wouldn’t exactly be the same.

I guess that’s one way to take it out of context lol

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Can’t believe the destruction to ft Myers beach. It is basically gone. Going to take years to rebuild.

Just for it to happen again one day.

Job security for the construction industry down there!

stevenoak

I wouldnt suggest people not live in those areas, but perhaps some different thinking about how close to the coast they build perhaps. I mean, you go to Galveston (among many other cities) and all of the homes are up on stilts yet you dont see much of that in Florida. I wonder why?

New code for costal Florida new builds where we stay is the ground floor is 13′ or 14′ above sea level. Deep bored pilings with poles or sonic tubes and concrete. Hurricane tie downs and high wind rated materials. Even the 50’s slab homes with block walls and tile floors get pressure washed, 4′ of new sheet rock and new texture paint. Builder grade cabinets, reuse the granite counter tops every 10 or 15 years. Guy we rent from has a storage unit inland he takes the furniture and appliances to before the storm hits. Kind of the cost of living there. A lot of folks have even abandoned home insurance with $10k deductibles and thousands of dollars a year premium.

Ripjiggen

I guess that’s one way to take it out of context lol

Ok
    toast

David Bollig

Feel bad for Sanibel and Captiva folks with bridge out. No birthday end of January week at West Wind on Sanibel for me this year, I hope they can survive the economic toll on top of any damage sustained at resort. 2021 hurricane hitting the panhandle damaged rental condo on Perdido Key, closed it for a year. The previous bad hurricane there shut it down for two years. Brothers home on Big Pine Key was totaled by hurricane a few years back, was on piers but wind twisted it. Florida is always in path at somewhere, with everyone wanting a piece of shoreline must be willing to pay the insurance(if available) or roll the dice and self insure.

munchy
    NULL

My dad has a home on one of the canals in Cape Coral, about a mile in from the Caloosahatchee in the evacuation zone. The water got to his doorstep but stopped, he left the plug out of the boat and lifted it as high as the lift would go. The inside got flooded but it stayed on the lift, and the cover got a couple foot rip in it. Also a piece of metal siding punctured the tire on his Jeep. That’s about the extent of the damage he got. Some of his friends lost everything, one posted a video where they were walking in foot deep water on the SECOND floor of their home and the roof was gone.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

This would be my parents place in Fort Myers Beach. Fortunately, they were still in Minnesota.

Attachments:
    1. 23890.jpeg

stevenoak

The one thing about the area it hit. The dollar amounts will be huge. But the hardest hit areas Sanibel, Pine, Ft. Meyers waterfront. Of the 15 or so people I know that have homes in the area. All but a couple own 1 to 4 homes elsewhere in the country. So, they aren’t necessarily homeless. Most that have the ability to live there. Have insurance or the ability to rebuild. Every time it happens, things are rebuilt better. As for the mobile home parks. Newer modular homes with proper tiedowns replace 1960s mobile homes with scabbed on room additions and carports. Kind of an architectural cycle of life when you live in a volatile area like that. Hard for some to understand living with that risk is worth it. But I read an article one business site yesterday. It may cost half, or considerably less to buy there after this. Till people forget again in 5 or 10 years. There will be people put in a bad spot over this. But watching folks there wear coats and hooded sweatshirts on a 70-degree day. They wouldn’t trade it for a February in Minnesota

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Traveling down tomorrow with a trailer to collect what’s left that is not soaked in salt water and mold. Pretty much walking away from what was paradise.

Walleye Hungry

Not to take away from how sad and serious the situation is for the people that live there, but I have vacation plans to visit FT Meyers first week of December. I assume even if the Airbnb is okay that the things normal tourists go to see in FT Meyers area are gone/destroyed?

I have never been there so not sure how or what normal tourists things were affected. Would you look to travel somewhere else?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Not to take away from how sad and serious the situation is for the people that live there, but I have vacation plans to visit FT Meyers first week of December. I assume even if the Airbnb is okay that the things normal tourists go to see in FT Meyers area are gone/destroyed?

I have never been there so not sure how or what normal tourists things were affected. Would you look to travel somewhere else?

We are supposed to go second week in November, and we are scratching it. It’s gonna be a mess in that area from Naples on up. I would plan to go somewhere else this year. Just my opinion.

blackbay
    mn

If you haven’t see it, you should do yourself a favor and check out the Youtube videos from some of the storm chasers. Fort Myers Beach is basically gone. The city of Fort Myers was flooded and some parts remain flooded. I honestly don’t think anyone is going for a beach vacation there for a few years at least. It’s beyond BAD.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Ft Myers Beach and Sanibel Island have been basically destroyed. Ft Myers has had significant damage. Tourism in the area will not be the same for years to come.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.