Anyone else here own a home in the Fort Myers area?

• bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Ours was under 12ft of water and guessing a total loss, will find out when we drive down next week.

Attachments:
    1. fort-myers.jpg

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Sorry to hear that! Property can be replaced (as hard as it is to deal with). Take care and be safe when you head down.

I’ve got a college friend who lives in Naples. He and his wife opted not to evacuate as they live on the third story of a new condominium complex allegedly built for hurricanes. Their shutters held up and they didn’t lose any glass or things significant related to structure. Their vehicles both are total losses though due to flooding

Brad Dimond
    Participant

BIL has a house on the river in Fort Myers. He is heading down early next week to survey the damage.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

BIL has a house on the river in Fort Myers. He is heading down early next week to survey the damage.

My sister lives in Fort Meyers, sounds ugly

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

My Father has a cousin who owns a condo in a high rise in Fort Myers that is built to with stand hurricanes up to level 4. He only uses the condo for 3 months (Jan – March). Apparently his condo is on the 8th floor and the structure held. He does not keep a car there when he isn’t there, so no damage for him. People with condos on the bottom 2 floors…there is significant damage.

stevenoak
    Participant

We rent 2 months out of the year. $10k sounds expensive, till now. Owner says the house gets it every 10 to 15 years. We HOPE our house will be ok for this winter. But a whole different set of problems for homeowners. Be interested to see how the “New Floridians” like their new home state. Snow, crime and taxes may not look as bad. Good luck to all, looks like significant death toll for those that didn’t heed the warning. Pray for first responders and essential workers that couldn’t leave.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

My Uncle is in Cape Coral, sounds like they escaped without a total loss, just a lot of damage and clean up ahead of them. Sounds like Sanibel, Captiva and Pine Island are destroyed, and were majorly swept away. Bridge to Sanibel is damaged. My uncle lived in St Peter during and barely survived the tornado, and said this was like 3x that.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Ex girlfriend lives there. My thoughts go out to the other residents

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

My cousin and her family are in Cape Coral. I heard they’re safe, but I haven’t heard anything about their home.
    My grandparents had a place in Ft. Myers when they were still around–beautiful area. It’s hard to watch some of the devastating footage.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Will be interesting to see how all those canals in Cape Coral handled the surge. I have to think they all flooded once the surge entered the Caloosahatchee River Mouth.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

My parents luckily sold their home in Apollo Beach recently. Sounds like the whole neighborhood is toast.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

My parents bought a place in Punta Gorda a month ago and drove a car down a couple weeks ago to leave. The condo is on the third floor and ok. The car, not so much.

FryDog62
    Participant

We rent 10 miles inland from the coast in Naples. We are on a 400 acre freshwater lake on the 2nd floor so should be ok.

However, my fishing kayak may not be so lucky – it’s stored at a marina where the Cocohatchee river intersects with the Gulf – right at sea level. With a 5 foot storm surge, it will be interesting if my kayak at 2 feet above sea level is still there ~

Attachments:
    1. 8A62793D-76FA-4BEE-9DAD-5165A90760F1.jpeg

MnPat1
    Participant

Bigcrappie did you have flood insurance?
    Many people don’t as they weren’t required to.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

We have rotated between Sanibel Captiva Fort Myers Beach for the last six years. Lots of great memories. Will never look the same. Have close friends at each spot thankfully all are accounted for but property loss is really bad.

mrpike1973
    Participant

crappie55369 wrote:
    My thoughts go out to the other residents

rotflol
    Snorted coffee thru my nose well done

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Not a lot of people do, we will get some insurance for the wind damage and the car is insured in Minnesota so we will get that covered. But we just did new flooring, AC and a bunch of new upgrades that we will never see back. Bet lots of people walk, might be some good land deals soon.

Bigcrappie did you have flood insurance?
    Many people don’t as they weren’t required to.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I feel sorry for the loss of lives, property and infrastructure. You couldn’t pay me to live there.
    My son showed me a staging area for the electrical utility trucks. I looked like an airplane graveyard how they were all lined up in rows.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

A while ago, someone started a thread about how they prepare in advance for a hurricane compared to how we prepare in advance for a blizzard up here.

Really, after looking at something like this, there isn’t a comparison.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

A while ago, someone started a thread about how they prepare in advance for a hurricane compared to how we prepare in advance for a blizzard up here.

Really, after looking at something like this, there isn’t a comparison.

To prepare, you don’t build close to massive water. Mother nature always wins

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

To prepare, you don’t build close to massive water.

I agree. The best way to avoid disaster is to not be there in the first place.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I feel sorry for the loss of lives, property and infrastructure. You couldn’t pay me to live there.
    My son showed me a staging area for the electrical utility trucks. I looked like an airplane graveyard how they were all lined up in rows.

I think they said it was like 40,000 linemen or something like that. Crazy.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>

I think they said it was like 40,000 linemen or something like that. Crazy.

Big money makers

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Can’t believe the destruction to ft Myers beach. It is basically gone. Going to take years to rebuild.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Can’t believe the destruction to ft Myers beach. It is basically gone. Going to take years to rebuild.

Just for it to happen again one day.

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

And again and again and again. Then we can all act surprised it happened.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Hurricanes yes just like tornados in the central United States.
    Hurricanes of this magnitude however are not that common.
    Are you suggesting people should not live in Florida because there are hurricanes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.