Anyone been out lately?

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Just curious what are some of the best accesses to use this time of year? After perch and walleye. Thanks!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m hoping this Friday the answer is the Red Door. wink

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

was out of both south and east. anchor and hunters both were perfect. didn’t do great hope it gets better for the red door weekend

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m hoping this Friday the answer is the Red Door. wink

You’ll find out…once you “open the door” smirk

was out of both south and east. anchor and hunters both were perfect. didn’t do great hope it gets better for the red door weekend

Are you coming to “The Door” this weekend Scratcher? Heard rumor you were jamin at KJ’s Ice Jam. Are you afraid of what might be behind the door? shock

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

andy yes was at ice jam! and how did you know this? lol was also up there last weekend, but no cannot make it mother in law is about to pass so need to stay back I sure was looking forward to red door and yes the door scares the heck out of me lol

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Sorry, I thought I posted on the big stone thread.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Sorry, I thought I posted on the big stone thread.

Don’t be sorry Dustin, I am sorry. On the phone it doesn’t display the forum category like it does on computer display and I did not see that the thread was for Big Stone. I was fooled…thought it was another Mille Lacs thread.
    And you other guy’s should be ashamed of yourselves too. redface

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dustin, I apologize I’m just a little excited about the GTG.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Dustin, I apologize I’m just a little excited about the GTG.

Get back in your corner… jester

Dustin, I wish I could give info on Big Stone…just haven’t tried it yet but it is definitely on my list to try someday.

Funny story from 2014 though…

When the open water season opened that year (Big Stone opens earlier than the rest of the state) it was still completely ice covered. So folks were out there for the “open water opener” ice fishing. A CO approached a group fishing and asked if they had their PFD’s? They all looked around…shocked. The CO was just messing with them…they truly thought he was serious. lol

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

No problem fellas, good luck at the gtg!

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

The herd of people has thinned out. It has been a pretty tough bite. You can find them and no matter what you try they won’t bite except for the magical hour around sunset. All of NE SD has been a struggle the last few weeks. Some guys are finding them but this has been one of the toughest winters in recent memory IMO.

zooks

The herd of people has thinned out. It has been a pretty tough bite. You can find them and no matter what you try they won’t bite except for the magical hour around sunset. All of NE SD has been a struggle the last few weeks. Some guys are finding them but this has been one of the toughest winters in recent memory IMO.

I’ll be out there with this weekend with my family and this is what I’ve heard too, since the last cold snap 3 weeks ago it’s been tough and I’m hoping the weather change will pick things up. Gonna move my dad’s house on Friday afternoon to try to find something for my kids to catch Sat/Sun.

Most public accesses are usable, they’ve been light on snow this year and I’m not aware of any heaves/cracks that you should avoid. Lots of people use Ben Hines, Meadowbrook, Mallard Point, or Bonanza on MN side accesses; rearing ponds site or Kassuke on SD side. Hope this helps, good luck.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks so much guys I might end up somewhere between Alexandria and Hutchinson. Can’t decide. Good luck!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thanks so much guys I might end up somewhere between Alexandria and Hutchinson. Can’t decide. Good luck!

You might try PM’ing Joe Scegura @pieeyed. He fishes mostly around Alex and sounds like he stays on fish and does pretty well.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I was thinking about messaging him, we will see if it comes to that, I always appreciate his input. Thanks Andy.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Hey Dustin, the panfish bite has been great and the walleye bite is still pretty good. I was out Sunday eve and picked up 5 nice walleye (17″-19″) in about 20min at dusk. The sunfish are biting all day long and the crappie are biting all night long. There are plenty of fish here for you to catch! Let me know if you need anything else.

Pics are from guide trips this week.

Attachments:
    1. Sunfish-Everywhere.jpg

2. 2-11-18.jpg

3. 2-11-18.jpeg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Oh and we got these guys that go over a pound pretty frequently…

Attachments:
    1. Pounder-1.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The one file I don’t check is flipped… dang.

Attachments:
    1. Pounder-3.jpg

2. Pounder-2.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Strike three I’m out!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks a lot Joe, I think I will start out south west of Alexandria and see where I end up from there.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

No problem. I almost forgot, the panfish were in 15-20′ and the walleye were all pretty deep. The bottom edge of the structure has been best. Good luck.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Perfect, thanks again Joe!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.