Anyone been out in the Forest Lake/Chisago area

• bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Looking to take a kid out fishing, I know many areas that I fished in the past. But there is never any talk on here about that area. All the post lately are what TUCR? or flasher related questions and not enough lake ice talk. Its early ice fishing the best time to get out, What’s everyone been doing?

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Im ssuming you would see close to 5-6 inches in most places. That being said still be careful Spud bar, Picks, Etc. I would call mikes bait on 8. Saw in the outdoor news report that the channel between chisago and south lindstrom have been good waytogo

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I didn’t fish but there were a ton of people on Green last weekend – many on ATV’s and wheelers. I’d agree, Mike’s will give you a good heads up.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Big crappie just send me a PM when ever your looking for chisago or flake answers. The kid and I are out daily. And hop around for lake to lake through the entire area

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Saw in the outdoor news report that the channel between chisago and south lindstrom have been good waytogo[/quote]

Frankie’s bait tell the outdoor news everyspot is good in the area so he can get more business. Count your minnows there. They are natorious for 11 minnow dozens on shiners

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Saw in the outdoor news report that the channel between chisago and south lindstrom have been good waytogo

Frankie’s bait tell the outdoor news everyspot is good in the area so he can get more business. Count your minnows there. They are natorious for 11 minnow dozens on shiners
    [/quote]

I’ve noticed that the few times I’ve gone there for bait…..Didn’t know it was a normal thing with them though. Dumb. Guess I’m glad I usually go to Mike’s. Those guys are always great when I go in there.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

[/quote]

I’ve noticed that the few times I’ve gone there for bait…..Didn’t know it was a normal thing with them though. Dumb. Guess I’m glad I usually go to Mike’s. Those guys are always great when I go in there.
    [/quote]
    Mike’s is great, and if your further north fish lake bait is great.

tim hurley
    Participant

Fish Lake is great, generous scoops, good service.

Justin Schneider (Woods & Water Insurance)
    Participant
    Hugo, MN

Couldn’t agree more. Todd’s a good guy and is always generous on bait portions as well as fair on prices. He’s my go to any time I head north.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

They are natorious for 11 minnow dozens on shiners

Ahh, the bait shop dozen. As opposed to the bakers dozen.

tim hurley
    Participant

2 related pieces of advice: watch your bartender when he pours
    watch the bait dude when you get your bait.
    Only time I’ve been shorted was up by Mcgregor when we dropped the bucket off and looked at lures-got to the lake…

Dave maze
    Participant
    Isanti

I was at fish lake bait last night. My dozen shiners was more like 3 dozen. I asked todd to charge me more because I figured his helper gave me too many. He refused. waytogo

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I was at fish lake bait last night. My dozen shiners was more like 3 dozen. I asked todd to charge me more because I figured his helper gave me too many. He refused. waytogo

Stopped at fish lake today on my way to the big pond and I got 3 dozen suckers. He have me about 4 and a half.

But I live down the road and go there 2 times a week I bet

tim hurley
    Participant

They have an honor box for crappie minnows for when they are closed-very cool, I always put in a little extra

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

They have an honor box for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie minnows for when they are closed-very cool, I always put in a little extra

I use this all the time when I know I’m going real early or late. It’s a awesome deal. Even when pricks dont pay and steal all the minnows he still fills them up the next day

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not trying to thread jack this thread even more but over the weekend I went to Bald Eagle Bait in White Bear Township. If you haven’t been there it’s a decent little bait shop attached to a gas station. I usually go here because it’s the closest to me and they have good bait. Well I ask for a half dozen shiners and ask if they had any decent sized one. This 20 something year old woman is helping and doesn’t know. So I asked if she minded if I looked through them. She didn’t and I found they had good size to them. I said I’d take half a dozen. She then proceeds to tell me how it’s gross when they splash her with the water and she dumps the whole NET FULL into my Engel cooler. So for 6.99 I got about 40 shiners! Probably will be the best deal of the year for me. Perfect timing as I’m going to Mille Lacs this weekend.

Couldn’t believe it.

Rod Bent
    Participant

Hi Bearcat I sent a PM. Thanks

wormdunker
    Participant

Not trying to thread jack this thread even more but over the weekend I went to Bald Eagle Bait in White Bear Township. If you haven’t been there it’s a decent little bait shop attached to a gas station. I usually go here because it’s the closest to me and they have good bait. Well I ask for a half dozen shiners and ask if they had any decent sized one. This 20 something year old woman is helping and doesn’t know. So I asked if she minded if I looked through them. She didn’t and I found they had good size to them. I said I’d take half a dozen. She then proceeds to tell me how it’s gross when they splash her with the water and she dumps the whole NET FULL into my Engel cooler. So for 6.99 I got about 40 shiners! Probably will be the best deal of the year for me. Perfect timing as I’m going to Mille Lacs this weekend.

Couldn’t believe it.

And now this poor girl could get in trouble…..I assume a bait shop owner could have eyes on a site like this. Seriously spread the girls issue on the internet?

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Couldn’t believe it.

And now this poor girl could get in trouble…..I assume a bait shop owner could have eyes on a site like this. Seriously spread the girls issue on the internet?

Relax worm. She’s fine. Climb down off your horse. I was just happy about a bit a good fortune.

If anything it keeps a customer coming back….

wormdunker
    Participant

Tell me what to do again.

Still slaying them on Goose lake Near Scandia? Nice lake to load up on Crappies.

Off my horse.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tell me what to do again.

Still slaying them on Goose lake Near Scandia? Nice lake to load up on Crappies.

Off my horse.

HA, because it was SUCH a secret…..Glad you’re back on the ground.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

WHAT A DI*k! I have no horse in this race, but if what I think just happened happened to have just happened, what a DI*K!!!

Keep it classy, wormdunker.

bowtecmike
    Participant
    Zimmerman mn

WHAT A DI*k! I have no horse in this race, but if what I think just happened happened to have just happened, what a DI*K!!!

Agreed! Just post a guys spot over a petty discussion about a girl over scooping minnows!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AUTO_5 wrote:</div>

Agreed! Just post a guys spot over a petty discussion about a girl over scooping minnows!

Yup I thought the same thing. Pretty d bag move.

Gregg Dillenburg
    Participant

I was out on Chisago on Weds afternoon. The bite was kind of tough with a lot of sorting. They were driving in the channel and one brave sole with a pick up was out in the middle of the lake. I am sure there will be more to follow.

wormdunker
    Participant

This is a D Bag Move.

“So for 6.99 I got about 40 shiners! Probably will be the best deal of the year for me.”

In essence that is stealing, she made a mistake and you took advantage of it.

D bag for D bag. Even.

wormdunker
    Participant

Is “Classy” stealing from a store owner when one of their employees makes a mistake?

wormdunker
    Participant

I just learned a good friend of mine FOUND a valuable item on South Chisago, about 2 weeks ago. He contacted local bait shops and asked if they would post a sign, If you lost something and can IM me a description of the Item I/he would love to get it back to you.

He would like nothing more than to return this item to it rightful owner.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Chisago bite has been hit or miss. Gotta think out side the box. After the dnr did the weed killer the last 2 summers it has really changed the concept of ice fishing the bays now. Not many weeds to be found.

But we pulled out a few nice walleyes in the last couple nights and some dandy crappies with a few bigger gills. And lots of pike

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.