Anybody hunt from a layout boat?

• jetdriver
    Participant
    Hudson WI

Thinking about buying a layout to hunt Lake Pepin. I see big rafts of divers sitting out in the middle all fall. Wanting to get out to them.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I do to an extent, just can’t justify an open water layout boat for it being the success has been low. Just a heads up, the VAST majority of birds you see in large rafts out in the middle are mergansers. They fill that lake up by the tens of thousands. Wait another couple weeks and you will see what I mean. Are there other birds out there? Sure. But be careful on where you sit, be sure you’re fully on one side of the lake or the other.

Bring your big boat out, anchor it, toss out your long lines, lay inside the boat, below the sides. You will have divers come in.

jetdriver
    Participant
    Hudson WI

That’s sounds like the plan I have! Merganser aren’t to bad around Bay City but I know they get thick farther south.
    Found a homemade boat that’s cheap I think I going to look at next weekend.
    Just looking for a different way to hunt more than anything😜

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Just be careful! Open water waterfowl hunting has got to be the most dangerous method of taking waterfowl. Be sure you’re with a buddy and if you do end up using a kayak or layout boat, please ensure there is someone in the tender keeping an eye on you. It only takes one wave 1/4 mile from shore to take your life.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I havent hunted waterfowl in years, probably over 20, but they must have changed the law because I thought you couldnt hunt waterfowl unless you were in cover?

tornadochaser
    Participant

I havent hunted waterfowl in years, probably over 20, but they must have changed the law because I thought you couldnt hunt waterfowl unless you were in cover?

Open water hunting is now legal on a handful of water bodies in MN.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Cool!

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I did not know this. Do you have a link to which bodies of water?

Born
    Participant

I read in MN Outdoor News recently that the DNR may propose to make it legal statewide with some other waterfowl changes as well.

just noticed gimruis posted a link in another thread

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Only allowed on Lake of the Woods, Mille Lacs, Lake Pepin and Lake Superior. In all other places, hunters must be in concealing vegetation. They are considering changing this however.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.