Anybody going to the Game Fair

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s been several years since I’ve gone. My previous dog I entered into the dock jump competition that was fun.

Now that my kids are old enough to enjoy, thinking about bringing them this year. I see there are dog clubs in attendance, but does anyone know if they will have puppies on-site?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I haven’t gone in a few years, either. I’ve also done the dock jumps and a few other “contests” with Ripley. I don’t think I’ll go this year. My cabin time has been truncated by baseball and softball seasons, so I feel the need for some time at the lake.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Every time I went they had puppies there. I will probably skip it this year again as I don’t really need anything.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I was going to go to watch the Governors debate, but Walz will not be attending. Make of that what you will.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I was going to go to watch the Governors debate, but Walz will not be attending. Make of that what you will.[/quot

He will only attend events where they will bow and kiss the ring on his check signing hand.

He knows better than to attend gamefair.

404 ERROR
    MN

But, but, but he was one of the only NRA endorsed DFL politicians?…
    *Insert tongue into cheek*

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

I was going to go to watch the Governors debate, but Walz will not be attending. Make of that what you will.[/quot

He will only attend events where they will bow and kiss the ring on his check signing hand.

Yup, I’m well aware. Did you see how pissed he was at Farm Fest when he was getting booed? Or how quickly he ran away when someone asked, politely, why he let Minneapolis burn? He is going to have a Governor’s Pheasant Opener tho, as PF has had a lot of their initiatives funded.

lindyrig79

I’m not much of a fair guy. But my 10 yr old son is just getting into hunting and I think he’d really enjoy it. We read “Where the Red Fern Grows” together and ever since he’s been saying he wants ‘his own hunting dog’ and saving his money and so I’m sure he’d go crazy to see puppies there, LOL

queenswake
    NULL

Summer is too short for me to spend time thinking about the next season. Have to get in lake time while I still can. And I’ve had very little of it this year with other stuff going on. After the long last winter, I am no in rush to long for the next season. No way.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m not much of a fair guy. But my 10 yr old son is just getting into hunting and I think he’d really enjoy it. We read “Where the Red Fern Grows” together and ever since he’s been saying he wants ‘his own hunting dog’ and saving his money and so I’m sure he’d go crazy to see puppies there, LOL

Not to derail the thread but that book is an awesome read. The only book I ever read without having to.

lindyrig79

Not to derail the thread but that book is an awesome read. The only book I ever read without having to.

Agreed.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sorry for getting off topic there, but yeah they usually have a bunch of puppies as you walk in. Just be careful or you might be bringing one home! jester And I agree with John that’s a great book, and along with Old Yeller, two books I’ve shed some tears to.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Been thinking about going. But said that last year and never did

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Sorry for getting off topic there, but yeah they usually have a bunch of puppies as you walk in. Just be careful or you might be bringing one home! jester And I agree with John that’s a great book, and along with Old Yeller, two books I’ve shed some tears to.

I know, that is a risk!

lindyrig79

We went today. Perfect day to go after the rain blew through. Cool and cloudy for the most part.

It was fun! We brought our dog and even though she was a handful at times it was fun to do some dog events. My kids also really enjoyed the experience! My daughter did a sling shot event, my son did an air rifle. Tons of puppies, that was probably their highlight. We did see some puppies being purchased and even noticed some were already gone by end of day. It was SO tempting to get one especially with my kids begging, lol

Even though I didn’t buy anything, thought there was some really good deals on duck hunting stuff. Overall a good experience IMO

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I grew up next to the main gate and my parents still live there. I stopped by there yesterday in the morning rain and there were people walking in already. It is a great event with something for everyone. My youngest asks to pet any dog that he sees so Game Fair is like hitting the jackpot for him. My brother won the Pheasants Forever shotgun raffle once and I won a print another year. People do actually win! The Ramsey Lions run the parking at park. The Lions are a great organization that gives back to the community.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

my son did an air rifle.

My daughter shot air rifle at Game Fair the fall before her senior year in high school. The club that runs it actually recruited her. She shot air rifle with them that winter. They trained at the Legion in Coon Rapids. She won a tournament the next spring at St. Thomas Academy’s indoor range.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

We went this morning and it was a good time. Lots to look at for sure.

MX1825

Looking and playing with puppies is a great time but I’m better off staying away. They have a knack of 1 of them following me home. doah

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Looking and playing with puppies is a great time but I’m better off staying away. They have a knack of 1 of them following me home. doah

My kids were putting the pressure on pretty good yesterday. My 6 yr old daughter even more-so. She was holding a Springer pup in her lap and saying “Daddy when can I get a Springer? Please!”

Being a kid at heart I really wanted to. But with two little kids and already having a Lab and a cat (and two fish tanks) I just couldn’t do it now, lol

LabDaddy1

It was a good time! My first time attending. Dog is normally ferocious, focused and fast but she could care less about doing well in the “competitions/games” yesterday. I chalk it up to too many distractions and different smells… lol. Wow were there a lot of dogs there! Plenty of cute girls(and puppies) too redface

All in all great experience. Bought a pair of hunting ear plugs that allow you to hear conversations and whatnot, but minimize gunshot noise. Grandpa got a case of some good shot shells at a decent price too. It was a great opportunity for him to socialize and steady his young golden.

Attachments:
    1. 5770E023-50D3-4AE7-ACCA-CD08CC773FA0-scaled.jpeg

2. F5CF3D21-DDAE-4C4E-96B3-5F3F8DE9B2DB-scaled.jpeg

3. 113897B6-3BA0-4D3B-BADB-9C197D20CD80-scaled.jpeg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Bought a pair of hunting ear plugs that allow you to hear conversations and whatnot, but minimize gunshot noise.

What brand were these, LabDaddy1? Thinking of trying some this year.

Gitchi Gummi

I’ve always thought it’s borderline cruel to sell puppies at family events like this. IMO, a puppy should be a planned purchase and not an impulse buy that is egged on from children. Lots of impulse buy puppies end up in less than ideal situations on the home front.

lindyrig79

I’ve always thought it’s borderline cruel to sell puppies at family events like this. IMO, a puppy should be a planned purchase and not an impulse buy that is egged on from children. Lots of impulse buy puppies end up in less than ideal situations on the home front.

I don’t know how many “impulse buys” were going on at $1500-$3000 per pup. I’m sure the vast majority were going to good homes.

LabDaddy1

Netguy- the brand is called “wildear.” They have a few different models. We’ll see how well they work and I’ll report back

Gitchi Gummi

I don’t know how many “impulse buys” were going on at $1500-$3000 per pup. I’m sure the vast majority were going to good homes.

$$$ certainly doesn’t stop people from making decisions lacking foresight

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m pretty sure they are not allowed to sell dogs at the fair, which is why they all sit outside the gates. To me, it’s an impulse buy if you haven’t been in touch with the breeder prior to that day.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

thought there was some really good deals on duck hunting stuff.

The past few times I’ve gone, I’ve thought it’s about 90% waterfowl (I’m an upland hunter). Doesn’t stop me from going and wandering around with my dog, but I’d like to see more upland gear.

Nodakk

Netguy- the brand is called “wildear.” They have a few different models. We’ll see how well they work and I’ll report back

WildEar is a quality brand

lindyrig79

I’m pretty sure they are not allowed to sell dogs at the fair, which is why they all sit outside the gates. To me, it’s an impulse buy if you haven’t been in touch with the breeder prior to that day.

Plenty of puppies inside the gates.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.