Any one run run a ram 2500 6.4 tradesman

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Found a 22 I really like 4 door with 8 ft box (been a tough find ) for under the 50k mark. Seriously debating on pulling the trigger so I can buy another box camper.
    Any one run of of these trucks, looking for real world opinions on the 2500 6.4 gasser. I have no interest in the diesel. Thanks in advance.

mojogunter

I have had a 2015, and a 2018 2500 with a 6.4. I now have a 2022 3500 with a 6.4. I got rid of a 2020 3500 with a 6.7HO that I hated. I really like the 6.4. The 2015 had the higher gearing that I thought were a little too high for towing. Since then I have gotten 4:10 gearing and I like them better. Plenty of power for towing, and nice smooth power. No issues with the trucks either, but I normally run them to 100k and get a new one. My only complaint is when the oil started to get dirty between changes you get the lifter clicking. I found it annoying. That being said with my new one rather than using Mobil 1 oil I have always run for years, I am using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-40 Motor Oil they recommend. Low and behold no lifter noise. They are not very good as far as mileage goes. In the winter combo driving I get about 13-14. Highway 17-18. Pulling enclosed snowmobile trailer 10-11 pulling 70mph, but that thing catches a lot of wind. I have always had a plow on my truck and it handles plowing well too. I wouldn’t hesitate if you find a good deal.

corya
    Iowa

I’ve got a 2019 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. I’ve only got around 11,000 miles on it, don’t drive it much. Pretty much use it to pull the stock trailer and skidloader trailer. I’ve pulled the boat up to the Rainy River twice with it from northern Iowa as well. No complaints yet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks MOJO. I’m going after work to look at the truck. I want to put a plow on as well, I run a company truck so this is a weekend runner type of deal. I just need a little heavier duty for the pick up camper and the 8ft bed on this is exactly what I been looking for. My truck just hit 100k and I’m really debating trading it In. It’s 100 percent paid for so it would also make a nice back up vehicle. We will see what they offer.

Now for going from a big horn to the tradesman is there much different. I see this one has the 8.4 inch screen not the small one. And the rest of the electronics on the Laramie I am not interested in. I save alot of money going tradesman over big horn

CaptainMusky

I know you said they are hard to find, but if you hold off a bit you could save some serious cash. Used vehicle pricing is plummeting right now.

walldows

I bought a 2021 2500 with the 6.4 this fall. I have zero complaints about the truck. I use to pull a 30 foot 5th wheel camper and a 20 foot fish house. It has plenty of power to pull each down the road. I sat in the Chevys and Fords the Ram in my opinion has the nicest interior. As far as gas mileage I get 14-15 sometimes better down the interstate not pulling anything and 10-11 with the 5th and camper.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I know you said they are hard to find, but if you hold off a bit you could save some serious cash. Used vehicle pricing is plummeting right now.

That’s the thing. I’m debating on trading mine in toward it. I set up a meeting to look at it tomorrow and discuss numbers. We will see what I come up with. I’m not trying to rush, but I’ve been looking a while and this one popped up last night. And the place offers lifetime power train warranty. It’s a 22 but brand new has 300 miles I believe

mojogunter

There were several things. The hesitation on the pedal could almost dangerous. The worst was while rolling if you let off for a second maybe on a on ramp and then step on it to merge there would be a couple second delay in I think both the electronic throttle and turbo lag before it would accelerate. Several times where I thought come on truck go. The fuel filters (2) need to be replaced at 15k miles. They are in horrible spots and tend to spill stinky diesel all over me and the garage floor. The filters are $200 from Mopar. After two changes I called the dealer to see how much for them to change them and they said $600. The oil filter to access that is through the right wheel well, so you turn the tires to the left so you can reach in and stretch your arm in to remove that and replace it. The fuel filters are way worse though. The 12k for the HO diesel was also hard to justify. If I was pulling things that were over 14k lbs all the time then diesel would be the way to go. I drove my 2020 for 18 months when I traded it in I only lost $500. In the 2 years though the price for a new one went up $12k from 2020 to 2022.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>
    got rid of a 2020 3500 with a 6.7HO that I hated.

What didn’t you like about the 6.7?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

MOJO what gearing was on the 2015 you didn’t like ? The 3.73

mojogunter

Yes, not a deal breaker but I like the 4.10’s better. With the 8 speed transmission now it may not be an issue at all.

MOJO what gearing was on the 2015 you didn’t like ? The 3.73

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This truck is the 8 speed with 3.73, they told me I can bring in the dump trailer and skid loader to give it a pull. I guess we will see. I’m hoping to like it.

deertracker

Maybe I will schedule a test drive today for it…. coffee grin
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lol, you dirty dog chased .
    Luckily it’s to far away from you.
    But if you did, I have a set of brakes for that ssr I sold you.

snelson223
    Austin MN

My boss had transmission issues with his ’18 with 80,000 miles.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My boss had transmission issues with his ’18 with 80,000 miles.

Not the same tranny any more. That was a 6 speed they are now 8. The 8 in my current truck is flawless

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

Loved my 22 laramie and then this happened. Only had 3600 miles on it before it ate a tree at 58mph and 4000rpm

Attachments:
    1. 220002.jpg

2. 223-1.jpg

3. 223.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ouch. That’s a bad one. Glad you are alright.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

Ouch. That’s a bad one. Glad you are alright.

Ask my wife about that blush .
    Didnt come out too bad broken ankle, broken nose, 2 broken orbitals, 2 bruised lungs, put my bottom teeth into my shoulder top teeth through my upper lip. 3 badly chipped teeth, messed up neck(still is) and my hands throbbed for about 4-5 months and to top it off a tbi. BUT HERE I AM! toast

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Definitely not an apples to apples comparison, but my brother in law has a 2020 Power Wagon with the 6.4

Pros – It would literally go anywhere offroad with the differentials locked. It has a 12k pound winch built in that he’s put to the test and performed flawlessly. The truck itself is pretty sharp looking both inside and out. The ride is a little rough but not as bad as you’d think looking at the truck and what it’s made for. He also likes the idea of NOT dealing with diesels in the cold as he goes well into Ontario and Manitoba hunting.

Cons – Gas mileage. I think he averages 11mpg with the wind at his back with the 6.4 on the heavy truck and 4.10 gears.. In the winter if he lets it idle + makes short trips with it towing anything, he can average 8 mpg on an entire tank.

I know truck people (myself included) say gas mileage doesn’t matter…but man sub 10mpg would get costly – and he’s not a hot rod driver by any means. If you have a specific use that makes sense for it then go for it. His has been reliable. The second you start driving it to the store, around town, or anywhere casually you could start to regret it in my opinion.

He flips trucks pretty regularly and has openly said he will be going a different route shortly, but not because he doesn’t like this truck…he just needs the latest and greatest or something different and has the pockets to do so

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My personal truck now gets used for hunting and fishing. If I buy this truck I’ll also be buying a pickup camper for it. So camper and boat all summer is my main usage. Makes more sense for me to have the bigger truck over this half ton because I don’t drive it often. With the company truck being my daily driver I don’t put many miles on my personal vehicle. Mpg does obviously matter to a point, I don’t want 8 mpgs but 12 to 15 is just fine with me. I imagine a tuner could help with that.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I also have a tradesman, 2016 2500 gasser which has been a great truck. I had 4.10 gears in a past GMC to 3.73 in this one and you sure can tell, this on kicks down pretty easy on hills. Makes me wonder how much squatting your going to notice with the long bed with a camper. But if you don’t need all the extra trims the tradesmen will do just fine. The kid has a new Rebel, good lord for the options.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For squatting I put air bags in everything I own. Very cheap and easy. And for the camper itself, it won’t be a giant spendy one. Probably another light weight palomino. And I’m guessing the new 8 speed will help with the kick down and shifting.
    As for power, the 6.4 does just fine id guess

B-man

Hey Bearcat, I have a 2018 Tradesmen crew long box diesel.

It’s been a great truck so far. 65,000 miles and only been in the shop once (a handful of hundred dollar bills for a def pump).

Obviously the truck you’re looking at has a completely different drivetrain, but you’ll love the body style with a long box.

I always joke that my Tradesman is a work truck with carpet, but it does everything I need and could pull my house off the foundation.

I didn’t need (or want) to pay for all the bells and whistles. Creature comforts aren’t worth another $20,000+ of depreciating dollars to me.

My last truck was a 2015 Bighorn 1500 Eco-diesel. It was a great truck too and had some fancier options like heated seats/steering wheel, digital/manual climate control, remote start etc, etc.

Of all the options that truck had, truly the only one I was disappointed I lost was steering wheel controls for the radio (I listen to the radio all the time when driving, and like to flip through stations). If you’re 2022 doesn’t have them and you’re an XM or Bluetooth guy most of the time it probably wouldn’t bug you.

As for mileage, you’re going to get 11.X mpg with that truck, less with the camper. That’s just a fact of those snorty big gassers. It’s not the end of the world, and easy to calculate your annual fuel costs compared to what you get now.

Example: 12,000 miles a year @ 11 mpg @ $3.00 a gallon is $3,272 dollars a year (hundreds of thousands of real world miles tracked)

Your current truck costs $2,337 a year with 12,000 miles @ 15.4 mpg @ $3.00 a gallon (millions of real world miles tracked)

So an extra thousand bucks or so in fuel a year, which isn’t too bad.

Not sure what you put on for miles a year, but used 12,000.

I too have a company truck as a daily commuter, but still average 15,000 miles a year on my personal truck (lots of fishing trips and trips to the land in Wisconsin). If your annual mileage is similar to mine obviously it’d be more than a $1,000 increase compared to what you’re used too. But again, what’s an extra hundred bucks a month these days lol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230124-173954.png

2. Screenshot_20230124-174708.png

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks b man. Yeah 20k extra for bells and whistles doesn’t do it for me. This is the tradesman ii, so has power rear windows and I think full radio controls on the wheel. I hope lol, otherwise the big difference between my bighorn and this one is dual exhaust ports out the rear. But I’ll know more tomorrow. Looking at it at 4. If the offer on my truck is fair then I’ll be a fool not to trade. I average 10 to 15k a year and 99 percent of it is pulling a boat, wheelers or ice house. I don’t have the house any more. The around town vehicle will be the Tahoe. I do alot of side work and my 1500 can’t handle our dump trailer. That’s another big deal for me.

Thanks for all the input. I’ll report back

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Remember…pictures or it didn’t happen!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m reading through this and have no idea of what y’all talking about.
    All these decimal points on this motor this, gear ratios that, my head is spinning.
    I just like mine shiny with comfy seats. tongue

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’m reading through this and have no idea of what y’all talking about.
    All these decimal points on this motor this, gear ratios that, my head is spinning.
    I just like mine shiny with comfy seats. tongue

One word eelpoutguy… Ridgeline jester

dbright
    Cambridge

If you plan on a truck camper step up to a 3500. It leaves alot more options for campers. If you do some searching online about people running newer ram 2500’s with a tc you won’t see many happy with the driving experience loaded.

B-man

If you plan on a truck camper step up to a 3500. It leaves alot more options for campers. If you do some searching online about people running newer ram 2500’s with a tc you won’t see many happy with the driving experience loaded.

Not to mention your tabs aren’t $900 for the first 3 years of ownership like with a 1500 or 2500.

When you step up to a 3500 they are dramatically less money (Minnesota Math)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.