Participant
    North branch, mn

We got the new stand set last night and we are ready

Attachments:
    1. 20221007_180559-scaled.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

No one would lend me their kid this year. So first youth hunt I’ll miss in what seems like forever

B-man
    Participant

Got the kids out last night and this morning in Wisconsin

Deer hunting with a pair of seven year olds has its caveats jester

Ben missed a 60 yard shot on a doe last night with their .243, a shot he makes easily on paper lol

“DAD! I WAS SO EXCITED AND MY HEART MADE MY WHOLE BODY SHAKE!!!”

Loved it!

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20221008_220823754.MP_-scaled.jpg

Coletrain27
    Participant

haha thats awesome bman. thats something that still happens even when you get older!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Fantastic bman! The stories I tell about my 3 boys from when they were little are hilarious. My favorite was my oldest, at the time was 6. “Dad, if you shoot a trophy deer do they mail you the trophy or do you have to go pick it up”? Me:”the deer is the trophy you don’t get an actual trophy”. Him:”that’s dumb. If you don’t get a trophy then why bother”?

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Bman I’m glad the boys are getting good use out of my old 243. That’s awesome. Tell the boy buck fever still gets me even when I shoot a doe

MNdrifter
    Participant

Nice stand Bearcat. I put up a double tripod stand in the pasture. Oldest has been down there “Brushing it in” all week. Yesterday morning he seen a couple does and fawns when he was down there. So he’s pumped. Him and one of his grandfathers will sit there. Me and youngest did a little pruning up on the ridge where my ladder stand is. That was an issue last year resulting in a beautiful 8 pointer living to see another day TWICE! Youngest has a vendetta against him. Lol. Hopefully he got a little bigger. Just found out our area is in the early antlerless season. So I will hopefully get my first kill with the new 220 Savage. After of course the youngest punches his first ever tag!

B-man
    Participant

Awesome!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Congrats ozzy that’s awesome. I know my son is excited for all parts of the hunt, from our scouting in the woods and reading trails ( I don’t believe in using game cameras) to setting his stand and being the responsible one for putting food on the table

Stanley
    Participant

I will be out with all 3 of my boys in 277 for the youth/early antlerless season. Finished stands and everything last weekend. Will be interesting to see if the kids will shoot a doe or wait for one of the 2 nice bucks we have on camera.

Attachments:
    1. D1F3B09B-D714-4AF4-A237-3D5CC8F4EB98.jpeg

2. FE9D33C7-7A5D-46BD-B6A2-20A5336F9867.jpeg

Jackfish
    Participant
    Wayzata, MN

My boys will be out for the youth hunt next week…can’t wait!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

My boys will be out for the youth hunt next week…can’t wait!

We can’t wait either. My son is maybe more excited then I am for him. These are the kind of memories that will last a life time

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

2 days and counting. I can say I’m awfully excited to sit with my son in the stand. Especially with this cold weather that’s going on.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Especially with this cold weather that’s going on.

Not sure if you saw the forecast but its going to warm up substantially by Friday. I even saw 70 by Saturday and Sunday. I’m sure it won’t stop you, I’m just sayin’.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

For those that hunt in the CWD zones (600’s) am I reading the regs correctly that all I would need to shoot an anterless deer in this early season is a $2.50 license? We havent hunted in this area for several seasons now for multiple reasons, but will be this weekend. I have sent an email to the DNR asking for clarification, but thought Id check here in case someone else had already gotten it confirmed. If we are successful this weekend we probably wont go the regular season this year.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Especially with this cold weather that’s going on.

Not sure if you saw the forecast but its going to warm up substantially by Friday. I even saw 70 by Saturday and Sunday. I’m sure it won’t stop you, I’m just sayin’.

Yeah I did see that. But Thursday and Friday mornings are cool and that’s about as long as it should take lol. Knock on wood now. Been in the woods twice this week and have does everywhere. 60s I definitely don’t like. But my son will. Means I’ll be butchering them quickly. Opens up next week back to fishing

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

For those that hunt in the CWD zones (600’s) am I reading the regs correctly that all I would need to shoot an anterless deer in this early season is a $2.50 license?

From what I understand is, you first need your regular license for the weapon your gonna be using. Then an extra tag if you dont wanna burn up the one for later.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

That is what I was thinking too, but as we all know the regs are written by lawyers and are so dang vague

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    For those that hunt in the CWD zones (600’s) am I reading the regs correctly that all I would need to shoot an anterless deer in this early season is a $2.50 license?

From what I understand is, you first need your regular license for the weapon your gonna be using. Then an extra tag if you dont wanna burn up the one for later.

This is exactly it.
    I couldn’t get my early season antlerless without my regular gun license

CaptainMusky
    Participant

This is exactly it.
    I couldn’t get my early season antlerless without my regular gun license

Cool, that is what I figured. I will get it though just in case I want to go for the regular season with my other son should my younger ones get something.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Means I’ll be butchering them quickly.

I was just going to say that. Knock one down and get to work immediately.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Means I’ll be butchering them quickly.

I was just going to say that. Knock one down and get to work immediately.

Honestly sounds awful lol.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

Congrats to everyone that participated in the WI youth hunt and good luck to everyone starting the Mn hunt tomorrow.

MNdrifter
    Participant

All smiles in this tree stand! Boys first buck/deer ever is laying 50 yards away! What’s the trick to keeping them in the stand when they are this excited? Lol. I guess we could get down a little early to go take a look, but gonna make him suffer up here another 30 minutes. Lol.

Attachments:
    1. 5BE13DC9-D707-4A75-80C4-AB85869D79BD-scaled.jpeg

2. 321833F9-E4E5-49EB-9C71-CF1FE5F66EF1-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

All smiles in this tree stand! Boys first buck/deer ever is laying 50 yards away! What’s the trick to keeping them in the stand when they are this excited? Lol. I guess we could get down a little early to go take a look, but gonna make him suffer up here another 30 minutes. Lol.

Heck yeah. Congrats. I got shafted in to working today. So I’m hoping tonight or I’m off tomorrow

MNdrifter
    Participant

Thanks BC! My phone rang this morning also. Guess they didn’t look at the schedule. See those suckers Tuesday!

Attachments:
    1. 145CD00C-2F41-4D0B-8273-787226A0981F-scaled.jpeg

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

Congrats on the first kill!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.