Any one have kids doing the youth hunt

• Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I see that’s coming up this Thursday in MN. My son did not do it last year but I am thinking about bringing him out this time. I wasn’t supportive of it but honestly I don’t know why. My son’s 11 and shot a nice buck last year. I’m hoping to get him out in the woods and try it this year.

Fowldreams55398
    Participant

I’ll have my daughter with me and my son will be with grandpa. Son took his first deer last year during the designated weekend. We will also hopefully be putting a few does down that weekend too for the early antlerless. They both coincide the same days. Oct 20-23

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

I’m taking my 12 year old grandson out for his 1st youth hunt this year.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

I’ll be out, but hunting for myself in 225. Buddy has a lot of deer around his cattle farm & wants them thinned out. Since the license for early antlerless is half the price of a bonus tag during rifle season, I’m taking advantage of it to get some meat in the freezer.

As for your post, I think anytime you have the opportunity to get kids in the woods you should take it. I know you guys get out into the “wild” quite a bit, but every time counts and is also a great time for bonding.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’ll be out, but hunting for myself in 225. Buddy has a lot of deer around his cattle farm & wants them thinned out. Since the license for early antlerless is half the price of a bonus tag during rifle season, I’m taking advantage of it to get some meat in the freezer.

As for your post, I think anytime you have the opportunity to get kids in the woods you should take it. I know you guys get out into the “wild” quite a bit, but every time counts and is also a great time for bonding.

The bonding is the best. And this year I’ll be letting him make all the big decisions on his own. Last year we new what was walking and what to take.

I’ve paid 0 attention to early antlerless, is that just a license to buy or a permit to apply for

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

@Bearcat Its in 2 weeks. 20th-23rd. waytogo

You can just buy a license. At least for 225. Got mine yesterday.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

@Bearcat Its in 2 weeks. 20th-23rd. waytogo

You can just buy a license. At least for 225. Got mine yesterday.

I’m also in 225. Heck yeah. Changes the game a little bit. Looks like dad will be taking a doe

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll be out with my oldest son who just turned 14. His first time shooting so I hope things go well.

Just to clarify for anyone who hasn’t read the full thread, the youth firearms deer season statewide is from Thursday, Oct. 20, through Sunday, Oct. 23. Which is over the MEA break when most schools are off.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I’m also in 225.

That’s where I hunt too but I won’t be going until the general firearms season in November.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Something else to keep in mind too is that full deer style blaze orange is required not just for anyone hunting deer during this time period, but also upland hunters as well. So if you intend to grouse or pheasant hunt, a standard orange hat/vest will not be sufficient. I know someone who received a warning from a CO about this a couple years ago. The only exception to that is hunting waterfowl in a stationary location.

deertracker
    Participant

We will be hunting in 264. If my son wants to sleep in one of the mornings, I will be out with my bow.
    DT

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I know when my girls are old enough we will take advantage of the youth season(s). Generally more mild weather and favorable conditions to ignite the “fire” before the weather turns to crap.

Something else to keep in mind too is that full deer style blaze orange is required not just for anyone hunting deer during this time period, but also upland hunters as well. So if you intend to grouse or pheasant hunt, a standard orange hat/vest will not be sufficient. I know someone who received a warning from a CO about this a couple years ago. The only exception to that is hunting waterfowl in a stationary location.

I’ve literally never worn more than an orange vest/hat while rifle hunting. Straight from the regs.

“All hunters and trappers in the field during the open firearms/muzzleloader deer seasons must display blaze orange or pink on the visible portion of the person’s cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves”

Nitrodog
    Participant

I will be out there with my son.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve literally never worn more than an orange vest/hat while rifle hunting. Straight from the regs.

“All hunters and trappers in the field during the open firearms/muzzleloader deer seasons must display blaze orange or pink on the visible portion of the person’s cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves”

I think you misunderstood me. Some upland hunters ONLY wear a blaze orange hat or vest (like me). That’s not good enough for this. My vest just has orange patches on the shoulder. That’s also not good enough.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I’m also in 225. Heck yeah. Changes the game a little bit. Looks like dad will be taking a doe

dad cannot shoot a deer during youth season. I’ll be taking 2 of my boys hopeful to get something. Struck out each year so far.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

dad cannot shoot a deer during youth season

225 is open to any hunter during Oct 20-23 for early antlerless season.

deertracker
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>

dad cannot shoot a deer during youth season. I’ll be taking 2 of my boys hopeful to get something. Struck out each year so far.

They can if they are in an early antlerless area.
    DT

Fowldreams55398
    Participant

[/quote]

Dad CAN shoot does in any early antlerless zones even with youth in stand.

super_do
    Participant
    St Michael, MN

Cut and pasted from the regs. It appears a vest and cap/hat are sufficient.

All hunters and trappers in the field during the open firearms/muzzleloader deer seasons must display blaze orange or blaze pink on the visible portion of the person’s cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

All hunters and trappers in the field during the open firearms/muzzleloader deer seasons must display blaze orange or blaze pink on the visible portion of the person’s cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves.

Good god already. You’re still misunderstanding me. A hat OR a vest is not sufficient. You need both. And the vest needs to be full blaze orange. Not just patches on the shoulder like mine. You guys wear what you want though. I learned my lesson when someone I know got warned by a CO a couple years ago.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>super_do wrote:</div>

Good god already. You’re still misunderstanding me. A hat OR a vest is not sufficient. You need both. And the vest needs to be full blaze orange. Not just patches on the shoulder like mine. You guys wear what you want though. I learned my lesson when someone I know got warned by a CO a couple years ago.

I know what you mean. You have to have orange vest and hat. Just like normal rifle season.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>

Dad can shoot a doe while hunting with youth is what I read this morning in my zone.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I know what you mean. You have to have orange vest and hat. Just like normal rifle season.

Thank you.

I was only trying to remind people who might be pheasant or grouse hunting during Oct 20-23 that their normal blaze orange cap OR vest would not be sufficient. My normal upland hunting attire would not be acceptable during this time period.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Dad can shoot a doe while hunting with youth is what I read this morning in my zone.

Interesting. I will have to read up on that because it was never the case before at least where we hunt.

deertracker
    Participant

Interesting. I will have to read up on that because it was never the case before at least where we hunt.

From the regs,

Participation
    • Youth ages 10 to 17 may participate. Youth ages 10 to 13 must be accompanied by an
    adult parent/guardian/mentor 18 or older. The adult does not need to be licensed.
    • The accompanying adult cannot hunt in most areas and party hunting is not allowed
    (youth must tag their own deer). Adults may hunt in areas where the early antlerless
    season is open with the correct license.
    More about the early antlerless season is on
    page 84.
    • Participation does not affect eligibility for the regular deer season; however, deer
    harvested during the youth season count toward the youth’s annual statewide
    bag limit.
    Requirements

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

I think you misunderstood me. Some upland hunters ONLY wear a blaze orange hat or vest (like me). That’s not good enough for this. My vest just has orange patches on the shoulder. That’s also not good enough.

Yep, to me at least your original post read that you needed to have the “full” (pants, vest, everything) orange like some people do. we’re on the same page.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

From the regs,

Participation
    • Youth ages 10 to 17 may participate. Youth ages 10 to 13 must be accompanied by an
    adult parent/guardian/mentor 18 or older. The adult does not need to be licensed.
    • The accompanying adult cannot hunt in most areas and party hunting is not allowed
    (youth must tag their own deer). Adults may hunt in areas where the early antlerless
    season is open with the correct license.
    More about the early antlerless season is on
    page 84.
    • Participation does not affect eligibility for the regular deer season; however, deer
    harvested during the youth season count toward the youth’s annual statewide
    bag limit.
    Requirements

Thanks! I looked it up right after I commented that and that might change where we go. We have been hunting in 604 for many years, but stopped going there because of the CWD thing with not being able to remove the carcass and then covid since we stayed with my parents. Its much closer if we hunt there so I think we might do it and then the chance I could shoot a doe too pays off. We always had good luck in that area, but since we left we havent shot a deer which has been like 3 years now. I dont enjoy cutting up a deer in order to move it out of the area, but at least it should be much nicer out than the last time I did it.

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

Wow I’m in 225 also. Just across the road from the Krone lake WMA.
    Last year we had to hunt over standing corn. Coming home Labor Day weekend, I stopped to check on things. I was bummed to see no crops were planted this year. Went back up last weekend to mow and work on my stand. To my amazement the fields were all green. Apon further investigation I found the farmer had planted a cover crop. The whole farm is covered with white radish’s. Deer were all over the place. It sure turned my frown upside down. Except my stand blew down this summer. Still have to go back and fix that.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20221001_171651800-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20221001_171645190-scaled.jpg

pass0047
    Participant
    Pool4

Did the youth hunt with my daughter all the years she could. Was a blast for both of us.

Now looking forward to doing the youth hunt with my son starting next year when he turns 10. This year he will have to watch me hunt.
    Enjoy the time they grow out of it quickly

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.