Any bear tales?

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The grandson had a friend out at the cabin and the friend got a cinnamon colored bear. No pics as yet. I know the grandson was videoing the shot and I guess its a nice little clip.

I haven’t heard of any other bears being taken. Anyone with a story?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I had 4 buddies tag out this weekend. Biggest one went 250#’s field dressed, and all taken with bow and arrow I believe. A buddy that guides the NW Angle had his 2 clients tag out also, so seems to be a good start from what I’ve seen!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

here’s one for ya boys… 716#’s

Attachments:
    1. 14316922_660675950757582_8745556122724696096_n.jpg

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

That beast was harvested about 5 miles from where we run. A real tank! 716 was live. Around 660 dressed. Found in the corn. All we have hitting our baits are small bears and sows with cubs.

AKG

Greetings bear hunters,
    Oh yes, I was a licensed hunting and fishing guide in Alaska for many years. I harvested 2 brown bears while hunting in AK. I helped a Client harvest a black bear in AK, that would not stay down. My first brown bear was harvested near a place called Amber Bay, way out on the Aleutian chain, via air taxi out of King Salmon Alaska. This spring hunt was the most difficult hunt of my life. This old boar was 9 1/2 feet nose to tail. He was beach combing and walked by my position at 35 yards. The two most challenging aspects of the hunt were, the weather, and carrying/packing the hide, back to camp. Hunting bear in Alaska is a very special experience. I call it, the real deal. It is one thing to punch wholes through paper, it is quite a different thing, to hunt an animal than can kill ya.
    Good hunting,
    Salute,
    AKG

catmando
    wis

Never shot one , did crawl in a den took a pic.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180825_1621512.jpg

Iowaboy1

a couple of years ago when on vacation near Bemidji I was out for a walk in the forest near our resort when I heard a bear snort not very far from me.
    I lost my senses and instead of staying still I took off on a dead run.
    that bear was right on my heels and I was sweating like Marilyn Manson at a Baptist revival

It let out a huge growl right in my ear and I knew I was going to die while on vacation,the funny thing was I was starting to get cold.
    I didnt know if I was that exhausted and near death from running so hard for an old fat man or if it was the fact that bear had chased me from June clean into December.

I kept running and ran smack dab into a tree with a loud thump.
    when I came to I realized that the FW had been snoring in my ear all that time and I had fallen out of bed and was cold from not having any blankets on me.

so there you have it,an Iowaboy bear tale.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

rotflol rotflol rotflol

AKG

Greetings catmando,

I took great pleasure in learning everything I could about them, long before I ever learned to live in harmony with them. These days I still prefer Alaska fishing over hunting, as I am old. As with all AK bear behavior, I have studied them a great deal, to include up close and personal, and lived to tell about it. Bears are over rated mostly, and did not seem to mind me fishing in many AK rivers with them.

For me AKs five different bears species, represent true freedom and wilderness.

I hold them all, in very high regard,
    Cheers,
    AKG

AKG

Great bear tail Iowaboy1,

I was false charged twice by AK brown bear and griz, Glad we had no contact. Good to know when to give ground. AK brown bear and griz did destroy quite a bit of my gear, and of course, they did take fish, caribou, and moose away from me. Oh well, bears gotta eat too. You can watch live brown bear cams at the link below. Be aware that the chat community below the live cams, do not treat hunters, fishers, and guides, in a very friendly manner. Talking about hunting and or fishing in an anti hunting and fishing bear chat forum, just below the cams carries with it, certain risks. I avoid the chat, like the plague. I enjoy the live bear cams very much.

Explore live bear cams link below.

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Cheers,
    AKG

basseyes

I was sweating like Marilyn Manson at a Baptist revival

Lmbo!

Wives can be scary.

AKG

Greetings basseyes,

I have no idea what iowaboy1 meant in his post. It does appear that for some reason, iowaboy1 was sweating a great deal. I have no idea why. I can say for certain, that it is no fun to be in a chat room full of anti-hunter, anti-fishing, anti-guiding people. Kinda like hell on earth actually.

My wife is my best friend. We have never ever had a fight, nor cross words, as we live by a simple code of mutual respect at all times. She is a pretty darn good fisher, and a great travel companion as we have traveled all over this good earth. After living with AK bears for nearly 3 decades, I am not easily frightened. Too old for that s>%t.

At any rate thanks, peace and joy to you and yours,
    AKG

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

Kodiak 2018

Attachments:
    1. BA1B7C54-47E0-47D5-B0AD-599A63C4BF97.jpeg

2. 4F65938E-13EA-43D8-9623-E47E999542DB.jpeg

3. 0A7A14C9-F97F-4FDF-96A3-90C0EFA998EB.jpeg

4. DD7E365D-DF89-428E-8E0F-C533816930BE.jpeg

AKG

Greetings Doug,
    Kodiak bears are very special and even unique. While I never hunted Ursis Arctos on Kodiak, I was a fishing guide on the Karluk River, Kodiak AK. Our Client’s were fishing for kings. It was common for brown bear to walk right through our camps. In fact, we had around 20 brown bears per day come through, even walking in between our tents. Bear patrol and hazing were common activities for the guides. King salmon fishing with fly rods, was the best I have ever seen, in the world. There are five bear species in AK. Brown, griz, black, polar, and blue bear. Please see link below for more info.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=home.main
    Cheers,
    AKG

glenn57
    cold spring mn

a couple of years ago when on vacation near Bemidji I was out for a walk in the forest near our resort when I heard a bear snort not very far from me.
    I lost my senses and instead of staying still I took off on a dead run.
    that bear was right on my heels and I was sweating like Marilyn Manson at a Baptist revival

It let out a huge growl right in my ear and I knew I was going to die while on vacation,the funny thing was I was starting to get cold.
    I didnt know if I was that exhausted and near death from running so hard for an old fat man or if it was the fact that bear had chased me from June clean into December.

I kept running and ran smack dab into a tree with a loud thump.
    when I came to I realized that the FW had been snoring in my ear all that time and I had fallen out of bed and was cold from not having any blankets on me.

so there you have it,an Iowaboy bear tale.

rotflol rotflol rotflol only an iowa guy could tell a story like that!! Can’t wait to hear what them iowa pheasants do to ya!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.