Another Travel Rod Post

• lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I know Mahto posted about this a year or so ago but I can’t find the post ( I did look)

I currently have a medium 4 piece Ugly Stick and works great. I want to get a 2nd travel rod, a bit heavier for salt water use. My issues are retail stores near me don’t have much (if anything) and after some searching online (cabelas, scheels, Amazon) I haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Can anyone recommend a decent, heavier travel rod and where to purchase it?

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

I don’t have any experience with these, but did some research after our Florida trip last year. These seem to get pretty good reviews. Middle of the road price-wise. Not sure of best place to purchase.
    Temple Fork Traveler

lindyrig79
    Participant

Thanks Joe, I will take a look

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Lindy I will post tonight after I get home from work with the name of the rod I bought. Can’t remember it at the moment. It’s cheap, but I’ve taken it to FL two years in a row and felt bites easily and caught sheepshead, speckled trout and bass with it. Been happy with it.

lindyrig79
    Participant

Thanks Mahto. It looks like a good option. I’d also be fine with another Ugly Stick, but it doesn’t appear like they make a Medium Heavy either

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

St croix makes a 4 piece in the triumph series. I don’t know all the weights available. I think the one I have is a medium. Might be worth a look, too.

Angler II
    Participant

I know Mahto posted about this a year or so ago but I can’t find the post ( I did look)

I currently have a medium 4 piece Ugly Stick and works great. I want to get a 2nd travel rod, a bit heavier for salt water use. My issues are retail stores near me don’t have much (if anything) and after some searching online (cabelas, scheels, Amazon) I haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Just buy a two piece. Carry it on the plane with you. I’ve done it the last two years going to Florida and they have always let me on without issue. I’ve seen tons of other people with them as well.

I actually brought two rods like this last year.

Pack the reels and tackle in your carry on.

That way if they lose your luggage you still have the important stuff with.

lindyrig79
    Participant

St croix makes a 4 piece in the triumph series. I don’t know all the weights available. I think the one I have is a medium. Might be worth a look, too.

I looked at those and even called Thorne Bros. It looks like they do make a MH but can’t find it anywhere. Even direct from St Croix it is grayed-out online and multiple other sources say out-of-stock

lindyrig79
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Just buy a two piece. Carry it on the plane with you. I’ve done it the last two years going to Florida and they have always let me on without issue. I’ve seen tons of other people with them as well.

I actually brought two rods like this last year.

Pack the reels and tackle in your carry on.

That way if they lose your luggage you still have the important stuff with.

Yeah… probably a good idea. But I just like the idea of having the rods in a soft case and strapped to my backpack so my hands are free. Already gonna be carrying an aerated bait box on the plane for live shrimp.

TH
    Participant

If you’re surf fishing, I highly recommend the St. Croix packable 10 ft surf rod. 4 pieces and a tube to carry. I have 2 and no problems just strapping them to my carry on. They don’t come cheap, but compared to a guided trip, they’re cheap. I only fish a couple hrs each day while the rest of the family is at the beach, but I can fish every day. Looks like they run $255.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I looked at those and even called Thorne Bros. It looks like they do make a MH but can’t find it anywhere. Even direct from St Croix it is grayed-out online and multiple other sources say out-of-stock

Scheels used to carry them…bought mine last year. Might be worth trying to see if they have one?

I used to bring a 2 piece but they are technically over length for a carry on. Never had a major issue but it could be.

MnPat1
    Participant

What are you fishing for and how much weight are you throwing? Lures or bait? I own the 10’ st croix 4 piece and I usually leave it at home. I bought it for $120 a few years ago. I typically bring with full length rods or two piece rods and fly delta so no problems. A 10’ rod is great for casting but sucks for fighting big fish.

lindyrig79
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Now if I could actually find any of these rods to purchase. Seems most is sold out, go figure

lindyrig79
    Participant

What are you fishing for and how much weight are you throwing? Lures or bait? I own the 10’ st croix 4 piece and I usually leave it at home. I bought it for $120 a few years ago. I typically bring with full length rods or two piece rods and fly delta so no problems. A 10’ rod is great for casting but sucks for fighting big fish.

I’m just kinda getting started on the saltwater. So far I’ve used my Ulgy Stick 4 piece to catch mangrove snapper from shore. We use light tackle and live shrimp for this technique, no problem.

Now, my last trip I saw some bigger Jacks swimming near shore. So I put a pin fish on a bare hook and casted out. One of the Jacks tagged it and started peeling drag like crazy. The rod was bent over pretty good. He eventually came unhooked and so I am not sure if I could have landed him or not with that rod. Either way, would like a 2nd rod with heavier line and bigger reel for stuff like that. The guys next to us while I was fighting the Jack landed a 3-4 ft nurse shark. He had a very heavy rod. So basically I don’t need to cast very far or need a long surf rod, just looking for something stout to either cast live bait out or maybe put a heavy weight and let it soak.

lindyrig79
    Participant

If I could find an Ugly stick 4 piece in a medium-heavy or heavy, it would be problem solved.

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

Would a telescopic rod work for you? I remember seeing them at Cabelas a few years ago.

MnPat1
    Participant

The tsunami tsawss 802 mh is a nice 2 piece rod that is featherlite and can handle some big fish. I caught over a hundred jacks on it up to 30 lbs without a problem. I put a saragosa 6000 on it with 300 yards of 30lb.
    The daiwa bg is a good reel for the price if your looking for an inexpensive reel.
    This tarpon took about ten minutes to land on that rod and reel.
    Learn to tie good knots!!

Attachments:
    1. E29D227F-E868-441A-9C65-1C5B12CE2E3B.jpeg

lindyrig79
    Participant

Nice Pat!

I may have to bite the bullet and start carrying two piece rods on the plane. That is a sweet set up.

I have so many rods and reels at home it’s almost crazy to start buying more for saltwater. The addiction continues I guess!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nice Pat!

I may have to bite the bullet and start carrying two piece rods on the plane. That is a sweet set up.

I have so many rods and reels at home it’s almost crazy to start buying more for saltwater. The addiction continues I guess!

I never had any want to do much saltwater angling. Then I started going to FL yearly and I just wanted to fish while I was down there. The cool thing I learned was you can catch fish anywhere from shore there in the salt. It’s crazy. That and saltwater fish fight ten times harder than freshwater fish.

Chris Norlock
    Participant

13 Fishing Quest Travel rods are 4pc and decent quality

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I know this is an older thread, but probably going to order a St croix avid trek for a Florida trip in the next couple weeks. Have never even seen an ocean so no clue what I’m getting into.

Anyone have a 3 piece avid trek? What pound line do I spool up? Fluoro or braid?

Will be flying delta and would like to not check a bag. Can I put a tackle tray and reel in my carry on without issue? Or should I just check a bag?

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to Orlando the end of April and won’t get to saltwater fish but found out the ponds around the Disney and Epcot areas have giant bass in them. One guy I talked to said he stayed at the resort my family will be staying at and he caught two 8 lbers! So now I’m thinking my Fiblink travel rod I listed in this thread won’t be heavy enough. Might have to go the way Angler II mentioned and just bring a two piece and carry it on the plane.

stevenoak
    Participant

Out of stock through the companies web site. But if you could find one. They are sold in several retail stores in Florida. A growing name in Florida is “Toad Fish”. They make a 5-piece travel rod, with a tube. With mixing the 2 tips and 2 midsections, you can create 4 different actions. All the reviews I’ve read have all been positive. The package runs about $200.I was going to buy a few of their rods for in-shore fishing but went with Bulls Bay. For the fact they are made in the USA. {Florida}. Salt Strong, {they do a Consumer Report type reviews} did a review on Toad fish travel rod you can watch on YouTube. Also, a video about the guy that started the company. They also donate a percentage of their profits to oyster restoration. Also check out the unique no tip drinkware they sell.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.