Anchor advice

• mr. pike
    Participant

I have a 18lb. river anchor in front and a 10lb. in rear of boat. Boat still seams to spin around a lot. Any advice to get it to sit still?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Some people fish sideways using the two anchors.

fargotridad
    Participant

Do you have 6 foot of chain between the anchor and the rope?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Drift sock out the back when in current.

I will run a 30# in front and a 30# in back when there is not enough current for a drift sock.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

30 pounds? Ah to be young again. LOL!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Might be the boat. I had a Sylvan Backtroller that just wouldn’t hold still no matter how much effort I put into anchoring it. Frustrated the heck outta me.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Sounds like some pretty light anchors to me, mine is 35 pounds.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Sorry it’s 30 pounds it sure helped but it’s a lot of work.

Nick Matti
    Participant

I run two 25lb richters. After I set the back anchor I run a caribeaner off the front I and run the front anchor rope off of it. Then I pull up as much of the front rope I can to tighten up my ropes and then cleat it off. If you get the bow pointed directly into the current you can eliminate almost all boat sway.

joshkral
    Participant

minnkota talon!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

30 pounds? Ah to be young again. LOL!

Anytime i bring friends, i tell them the trip is on me, leave all rods, tackle, bait, etc at home…But you have to be the anchor B%$ch ) I tend to move more often when someone else is yanking those things in!!

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

I use a Water Spike with 6 feet of chain light about 6lbs and holds in all conditions except pure rock. If I need a back anchor I use a 12lb anchor similar to a Water Spike in current a drift sock.

If you set the Water Spike correctly God will not move you unless you want him to.

gimp
    Participant

good advice when it comes to anchors is 6ft of chain and use about 3ft of rope for every foot of water depth, when in swift water you might have to go to 7ft of rope per ft of depth or more.
    I have a 16ft lund and have fished the Rainy for sturgeon and my anchor is only about 12 or 15 lbs and have not had any problem with it holding because I use plenty of rope and chain.

monticatgeek
    Participant
    Monticello, MN

the best anchor on the market is the Cat River Anchor. it sets fast and doesn’t let go until you pull it up. they come in 10, 16, or 20 pound models. I run the 20 pound in the rivers and the 10 pound on the lakes I fish.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

good advice when it comes to anchors is 6ft of chain and use about 3ft of rope for every foot of water depth, when in swift water you might have to go to 7ft of rope per ft of depth or more.
    I have a 16ft lund and have fished the Rainy for sturgeon and my anchor is only about 12 or 15 lbs and have not had any problem with it holding because I use plenty of rope and chain.

Only problem that comes with lots of rope can be lots of boat sway if not in steady current. Drift socks help, but shifty winds and lots of rope means slack line.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.