An idea I had

• 3Rivers
    Participant

For the past few years I had an idea in my head to drive out on the ice and find some interesting or unique shelters and ask the owners for a quick tour and interview. These houses are getting bigger and more elaborate and unique every year. I’ve always wondered what some of them look like inside or who own’s them.
    This year I decided to take some time and just go for it, so I grabbed my GoPro and started knocking on doors. It has been a fun activity for my wife and I and have already met some great and interesting people and their amazing “Shantys”.

The first half a dozen videos have been all wheelhouses, but I’d love to mix in some cool perms or even portables.

Here’s the current playlist Episode 1-6 of “Show us your Shanty” More videos on the way. I have a video of a jaw dropping 36fter coming soon…

Joe Dirty
    Participant
    Big Lake

That’s awesome! Very cool idea

stevenoak
    Participant

“Ice Cribs” Now get the He<< out!!

Doug M
    Participant
    SE SD

The one guys favorite thing about his ice castle was a hot shower every morning. Would this be a specific package? Arctic package or heated tanks or something?

love the vids. Watched them all!

3Rivers
    Participant

Thanks for watching. In regards to the hot water tank, yeah I’m not sure how that exactly works. I imagine just like a camper. Water tank/Hot water heater/shower/drains to gray tank. I’m sure there are some specific things you need to do to keep things from freezing up.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

thats cool stuff. the guy mentioned ultimate sports…..i’ve been there!!!! waytogo

brandmoney
    Participant

Good stuff. Always enjoy unique videos like this one. Original content is hard to come by

usmarine0352
    Participant

This is a really cool idea.

Do some more.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Good videos watched them all. Check out some of those skid houses on Mille Lacs lots of character in the shacks and the folks that use them.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

It’s good to tour different models and see them full of stuff and also hear the pros and cons from the people who actually use them. See the lines down and figure out which one has the best hole placement for your style of fishing.

I also would like to see tours of the homemade shacks. So many are a trip from the outside and I’m are even more interesting inside.

3Rivers
    Participant

I could easily live in this one. What a shanty!!

phishingruven
    Participant
    tip of the mitten

fantastic idea and great videos! very interesting. thanks for posting.

3Rivers
    Participant

fantastic idea and great videos! very interesting. thanks for posting.

Thanks for watching!

Doug M
    Participant
    SE SD

That is going to be a tough one to top! Love it.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

Wow. It looks so comfortable with the leather seats, dark trim. Just a relaxing place to be. You’d need to be out almost every weekend during the short period you had enough ice in order to make that feel worth it. I also feel like the nicer the house, the less it’s about fishing. In normal houses, guys have a rod in their hands at all times staring at the flasher.

Do people still using the flush toilets in these RV houses? Are the tanks and lines heated so they don’t freeze? Or do they switch to using a cassette type during the winter?

3Rivers
    Participant

Newest episode of “Show us your Shanty”

Doug M
    Participant
    SE SD

You bring them a case and the Mrs says “hey can you get in the fridge and grab me a Busch light? (husband) yeah get me one too”.

Look forward to more new vids!

3Rivers
    Participant

I hit the St Croix for the final episode of the season. I look forward to doing a few more next year:

tim hurley
    Participant

I knocked on a door because this shanty was parked right where I marked a spot the previous year, just wanted to make sure it was ok with them If i drilled by them, they were fine and then asked me how deep it was-they had no depth finder, nice house probably worth 3k, but no 100 buck fl8. People in those shacks tend to be very friendly. I bet if you found snarky folk inside you would know the bite was very good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.