Aluminum or steel dump trailer?

• haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

I’ve decided I need a dump trailer.
    Anyone have any experience with the Alum models? Just wondering how the bed would hold up when the gravel pit dumps a load of rock in it from a front end loader, that kind of stuff.
    I know the advantages of aluminum not rusting like the steel trailers would but are they tough enough for a dump trailer having things “dropped” in the bed?
    Look like they about $500-$800 more than the same size steel model.

Oh yeah, no Ford vs. Chev., alum vs. steel box comments please. There’s at least 3 or 4 of those topics already.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Maybe galvanized steel?

deertracker
    Participant

Will you be putting a skid steer in it? A few of my friends have steel. It came with something similar to under coating on them. They don’t get used much in the winter though.
    DT

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Looking at a dump trailer also. I have never seen an aluminum dump trailer advertised. Which companies make them?

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

Steel. Something like that is gonna take some shots. I say steel just for the sheer strength of the welds. Ive had problems with every aluminum trailer that Ive ever owned. Paint it as needed to protect. JMHO.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

No Skid Steer but a side by side Ranger.
    Aluminum made by CargoPro…and now that I looked again, it’s 10′ long which I don’t think is long enough for what I want.
    I might just stick with steel and repaint as needed like robby suggests.
    I could probably have it under coated a few times for the extra $ on Aluminum.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Steel, I can’t see an aluminum being strong enough.
    I shopped a lot of dump trailers before buying a Midsota.
    Thicker steel bed, better hydraulic jack system.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I’d love to get one myself, but I would be very leary about getting aluminum. Just thinking of how I would use it, aluminum would get beat up awful fast.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I put a studded snowmobile in my aluminum trailer ONE time. Need I say more…

Hauling ATV/SXS’s, trees/brush, lawn mowers and general use…Aluminum

Rock, Concrete, even dirt to an extent or anything heavier I would go steel. More maintenance in the paint department, but it will hold up to heavy hits and impacts so much better. Plus the welds are generally stronger and finding someone to weld steel is easier than aluminum if a repair is ever needed.

jake47
    Participant
    WI

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a place that sells used dump trailers? Looking for a 12-14′ with twin 7k axles so I can haul a skidloader on down. It will double as a livestock trailer for now too..

deertracker
    Participant

I should add that I’m pretty sure my friends have Felling made in Sauk Center, MN. Not sure if they still sell the hand pumped hydraulic lift but male sure it has the battery powered hydraulic lift. I think my buddy had a manual for less than a week before he switched. doah
    DT

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a place that sells used dump trailers? Looking for a 12-14′ with twin 7k axles so I can haul a skidloader on down. It will double as a livestock trailer for now too..

I would check CL.
    There’s a few of them on there usually.

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

I use an aluminum 12′ dump box on f450 dually. Dropped boulders(occasionally) gravel all the time. Its a great box holds up just as good as steel if not better with added benefit no rust and no paint to bother with.
    The f450 is the second truck its been on.

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

What brand is it?
    I like the less maintenance with Alum so it’s nice hear a good report about them.

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

Not sure of the top of my head, I’ll give a call to find out.Fellow contractor I do a lot of work with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.