pop up cleats

• Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

I know it’s been discussed before that the standard anchor cleats on at least the 04-05 Navigator models like to “eat” rods from time to time . After reading a post from Mike W. I called Bay City Hardware and ordered a pair of the fold over cleats and hope to have those installed in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I was thinking about where to start with the pair – front, back, starboard, or port side. I believe the angle of the rods set down are more affected by the bow cleats so I thought I would start there but then had another thought.

I had originally picked up a pair of these pop-up cleats but did not want to drill holes this big through the relatively small gunnel. My thought now would be to mount these in the front bow deck area. I don’t think the holes would affect anything structurally here and you would not see them protruding through as you would with the gunnel. I don’t think this would significantly affect my anchoring by being this far forward but who knows until you actually try it.

Here are a couple of pics of where they might end up on the bow. I would most likely use a heavier plate of some sort on the under side just to provide more support since this is just aluminum up here.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,
    Dave

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I do have a cleat up front in that area. Use it for anchoring. Not tieing off to the dock. It is one of those that you just zig zag the rope threw. Works fantastic. Would never have a boat that didnt have a front cleat for anchoring.

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

When I moved mine around on the 185 Tourney Sport, I used a 3/16th aluminum backing plate, can’t hurt and it does add some strength.

Al

wisdavis
    Participant

Al, I have been thinking about moving my front cleats on my 185 tourney. What did you do with the holes after you moved yours?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.