Albino Squirrel – WTH is wrong with people?

• bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Sorry for the rant and long winded post. I live in the city of Hudson. We’ve had an Albino Squirrel in our neighborhood most of the year. He lives behind our house in a small patch of woods. It was fun to watch it. I took a picture of him on Tuesday afternoon at 2:02 pm as he was outside the back window taunting my cats (indoor house cats). He disappeared shortly after and I assume he ran into our front yard. I had the window open and was working from home. Within an half hour, I thought I heard an air rifle shot. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. I finished work at 4:30 and let the cats out in the back yard (fenced in). One of my cats (sneaky monkeybutt) bolted for the fence towards the front yard and got through a small hole. I ran around through the garage to go try and catch him. He normally just tries to hide under our big pine tree in the front yard. Sure enough, he was by the big pine tree but so was the dead albino squirrel. It was laying between the pine tree and my daughters bedroom window. Probably 5 feet from each. What a bummer was my first thought. My first thought was a dog or other animal got him. After I caught my cat and threw him in the house, I looked at the squirrel. It wasn’t chewed on or tore up at all. It had a small hole on one side and another on his other side. It looked like a BB or pellet. It also looked like it probably dropped it dead in its tracks. The only way you could see it where it died was from my front door or garage door or my neighbors front door or windows. You couldn’t see it from the street. I get along with that neighbor. He does have a son that graduated HS last year. My only guess was his kid did something stupid. I’ve seen him get home between 2 and 3 quite often but I didn’t see him on Tuesday. I saw his wife in the drive right after I found it but she was on the phone so I didn’t talk to her. I also didn’t think I should make any accusations either. They have been great neighbors. I should have probably called the Hudson Police but called the DNR tip line. I asked them what I should do to report it. They gave me the number of the Game Warden outside of Hudson. I covered the squirrel with a bucket where I found it and had to leave for my daughters swim meet. The Warden arrived within a half hour and talked to my wife and the neighbor lady. I also talked to my neighbor later that night and told him what happened. He said his wife had worked from home that day too. He didn’t say anything about his son being home. I just spoke to the warden again today and got an update. He confirmed he thought it was shot too. He said the neighbor said she was the only one home. He didn’t think there was much else he could do. I had already asked other neighbors if they saw anything between 2 and 4:30. One neighbor checked their security camera and no cars came in our cul-de-sac during that time other than me leaving to pick up my daughter from school and then bringing her to swimming. I’m still at a loss to explain who could have shot it. If anyone were to walk around our cul-de-sac with a BB/Pellet gun, someone would see them with so many people working from home. I like to shoot stuff as much as anyone and am not very fond of squirrels, but WTH would anyone feel the need to kill something that is so rare and then let it lay? -( Fortunately, I took alot of pictures of him this summer.

Attachments:
    1. albino-squirrel-scaled.jpg

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Not sure why this didn’t attach to post. I guess it did.

Attachments:
    1. albino-squirrel-1-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

WSM!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Sad that anyone would waste it. I get it if it’s problem critters in the overhand or doing damage. Many people in city settings treat them like pets. Brings a little nature into the yard.

I had about a dozen albino squirrels in one valley at my farm. Unfortunately they all hung out by the road. Few got hit, but the rest were shot off. Trees block the road from the house and yard, so by the time we reacted to a shot, vehicle was long gone

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I know you’re mad and understand that but call the law on a squirrel? Who among us wasnt a blood thirsty beast when we were young? I would have taken out my frustrations on the neighbors then maybe the law if they pissed me off. Either way its your call. Good luck.

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Understand your frustration but if our neighbors would of called every time we shot something with our bb guns we would probably be in prison by now.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I live in Hudson and was on a walk up by Prospect Park and saw an Albino Squirrel just this Monday. I sure hope it wasnt this one because it was cool to see an Albino Squirrel even though I hate all squirrels when hunting.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Oh man we have a white squirrel, and a black squirrel in the yard all the time. I always wanted to get a mount of them together. But I never can get a clean shot. Especially if I were to waste the money on mou ting them it would have to be a 1 shot 2 kills story. And that won’t ever happen. Maybe 1 day.
    White squirrels are not as uncommon as one may think. But I would be concerned if it was killed in your yard. Not so much if it ran in your yard to die.
    As a kid we used to kill dozens of squirrels and my best friends mom would clean them and cook them. Delicious 😋

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

I live in Hudson and was on a walk up by Prospect Park and saw an Albino Squirrel just this Monday. I sure hope it wasnt this one because it was cool to see an Albino Squirrel even though I hate all squirrels when hunting.

KP, I live by the Middle School so it wasn’t the one by Prospect Park. I’m with you. Not a fan of squirrels in general. You just don’t see albino ones very often. Was surprised they are not protected in WI. But it is also illegal to shoot anything in the city. The warden indicated there wasn’t anything he would be able to do, it would be the Hudson Police.

To those surprised I would call the law.. I call BS. The lots on our culdesac are about a 1/4 acre. We are a block from an elementary and middle school. If someone came and shot something 5 feet from your daughters bedroom window and let it lay there, you would be a moron for not calling the law. And yeah, I did shoot alot of stuff growing up that I shouldn’t have. And we would go out in the woods to shoot our guns, not in someone’s front yard in town.

Deuces
    Participant

TBH, w my 2 cents, go and apologize.

And let’s be honest, you grew some attachment to the Lil fella. That’s all good, I don’t judge, but you did. And whatever law/regulation you want to pull up won’t help your future cause of keeping ol fluffy around if there ever comes around another albino. Go to the houses of suspected shooters, apologize for calling in the feds and army on them over a rodent, and ask politely if another white one ever comes around the neighborhood you ask it to be left alone bc you enjoy them.

Reality is they are not going to start pulling fingerprints off pellets, or give biopsies, or give squirrel protection patrols to get justice for Mr.Gringo tree rat. Do what you can for the future and calling in swat teams isn’t it.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

We have a Mr Gringo tree rat that frequents our yard. He seems to do pretty well with the lady tree rats. I’m assuming we’ll have a whole brood of baby gringo tree rats soon.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

If someone came and shot something 5 feet from your daughters bedroom window and let it lay there, you would be a moron for not calling the law. And yeah, I did shoot alot of stuff growing up that I shouldn’t have. And we would go out in the woods to shoot our guns, not in someone’s front yard in town

I think you have a point here, with the emphasis on how close it occurred to your residence. Sounds like the officer did about all he could on the subject and did his follow up duty.

Is it possible it could have been shot a distance from where you found it dead? I know in your original post you stated the viewing angle would have been very limited.

I occasionally see black squirrels but a white or albino one is pretty rare.

B-man
    Participant

If there was an albino squirrel in our yard it would be at the taxidermist by now jester

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210906_184853134-scaled.jpg

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

TBH, w my 2 cents, go and apologize.

And let’s be honest, you grew some attachment to the Lil fella. That’s all good, I don’t judge, but you did. And whatever law/regulation you want to pull up won’t help your future cause of keeping ol fluffy around if there ever comes around another albino. Go to the houses of suspected shooters, apologize for calling in the feds and army on them over a rodent, and ask politely if another white one ever comes around the neighborhood you ask it to be left alone bc you enjoy them.

Reality is they are not going to start pulling fingerprints off pellets, or give biopsies, or give squirrel protection patrols to get justice for Mr.Gringo tree rat. Do what you can for the future and calling in swat teams isn’t it.

Nick,
    Do you prefer I do this before or after you KMA?

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bzzsaw wrote:</div>
    If someone came and shot something 5 feet from your daughters bedroom window and let it lay there, you would be a moron for not calling the law. And yeah, I did shoot alot of stuff growing up that I shouldn’t have. And we would go out in the woods to shoot our guns, not in someone’s front yard in town

I think you have a point here, with the emphasis on how close it occurred to your residence. Sounds like the officer did about all he could on the subject and did his follow up duty.

Is it possible it could have been shot a distance from where you found it dead? I know in your original post you stated the viewing angle would have been very limited.

I occasionally see black squirrels but a white or albino one is pretty rare.

I don’t think it ran anywhere. You couldn’t have made a better shot.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

If there were an albino squirrel in our yard it would be at the taxidermist by now jester

Bman,
    That is awesome. applause But difference being the background in your picture doesn’t look like my front yard. I will take a picture tomorrow morning and post for reference.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

are they not considered a game animal??? and not taking it considered wanton waste?? i know some people dont have much love for them, but they are good table fare. i think i would take offense to someone shooting a critter in my yard that close to my house, in town also!!!!!

personally i’d love to have a black and white squirrel mounted.

Coletrain27
    Participant

So regular squirrels are ok to shoot in town but not white ones?
    Asking for a friend

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

So regular squirrels are ok to shoot in town but not white ones?
    Asking for a friend

imo……..NO squirrels are OK to shoot in town.

is it legal to discharge a firearm in town>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Brittman
    Participant

Had a corner neighbor that like to shoot squirrels … guess he did not want them at their feeder.

One day I found a little red squirrel laying under our pine tree. Shot in the head. Obviously shot him out of my tree … path from his yard past my tree is my house … windows, us, etc…

I told my back neighbor I had enough and now had trail cams set up facing the corner neighbor’s yard. If he aims at our yard the cops will arrive.

Case closed.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Coletrain- do you ever have any constructive input? Or do you prefer to just stir the pot on every post? You know, kind of like what you accuse people of… roll

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Bzzsaw— I agree squirrels are not bad to shoot(have killed too many to count, not always the most appropriate circumstances either, admittedly) but leave the damn albinos and black ones alone unless they’re a nuisance and won’t learn from BB guns or firecrackers. I can see wanting to mount or take the fur of one, though, and that’s fine. Like mentioned, neither black nor albino squirrels are all that rare. But they also aren’t super common. Being shot right next to your window is a whole different story, especially depending on the angle. Either way it’s not right and def not legal

Beast
    Participant

question, are BB guns, pellet guns, air guns considered a firearm? I always thought you had to have a powder charge to fall into the firearm category.

Deuces
    Participant

Do you prefer I do this before or after you KMA?

I meant it with sincerity, didn’t mean to offend. For myself it’s better to create a path of positivity rather than negative with your neighbors. You want to go to war over a rodent go for it man. toast

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

question, are BB guns, pellet guns, air guns considered a firearm?

Yes, they are. Discharging them within city limits is in fact illegal. Discharging a paintball gun in city limits is illegal too. I know because I was verbally warned once by an officer growing up.

Beast
    Participant

glad I live out in the sticks.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Coletrain- do you ever have any constructive input? Or do you prefer to just stir the pot on every post? You know, kind of like what you accuse people of… roll

I’m asking because there has been a number of people on here talking about shooting them in their yard at their bird feeders. So it’s ok then but everybody is getting mad now because it was a white squirrel?

LabDaddy1
    Participant

^yep. I had the cops called on me a few times growing up for walking around with a BB gun in the field behind my house. Report was always a “man walking around with a rifle.” I was 8 and it was a daisy BB gun… lol.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Where Bzzsaw lives no one should be shooting any kind of gun at all. There are many kids running around. Its not the city but a neighborhood where many houses are right next to schools.

Its called common sense and who ever shot that was a Dumba$$!

Beast
    Participant

My son was sighting his AR in behind his house a few years ago, s city women heading to her cabin called the cops telling them a man with a machine gun was shooting, cops just laugh and said they would have a talk with her.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.