Air fryer amperage needs

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’m looking at an air fryer that has 1700 watt output. Online calculator says this equals 14.1666 amps. I have a 15 amp service. The outlet that I prefer to use the air fryer on is the same line that has the refrigerator/freezer (adjacent outlets). Will this be OK or will I trip the breaker often?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

My moneys on it’s going to trip the breaker.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Cant help you on if it will trip your breaker or not but you will love the Air Fryer if you get it.

Some great recipes out there for it but makes frozen food taste way better than out of an oven.

CaptainMusky

I am pretty sure where I have mine plugged in its a 15 amp and we havent blown anything yet. My panel is labeled poorly so I can figure out which one it is but nearly everything is 15 amp. SOrry I didnt see the part where you wanted to use the same circuit as the fridge. That will be a bad idea. Mine are on separate circuits and my fridge is dedicated.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s gonna trip the breaker. Same setup. If you’re running the air fryer and the fridge runs…boom.

Find a different outlet cuz the air fryer is worth the price of admission.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I put my fridge on a dedicated circuit when I remodeled the kitchen 20 years ago. My air fryer is built into my gas range. I really like the air fryer, it is much more efficient burning chicken than my pellet grill

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

It will trip if the fridge kicks on. If you have access to that area and can get a new circuit up and have space in your panel, I would put the fridge on the new circuit and cap the wires coming from the outlet that you want to use the air fryer at, or if it comes from the other way than wire nut the current wires there now and tuck in the back of the box. If you go the new circuit route by code it should be on an arc fault breaker, on a countertop area or within 6ft of water Gfci protection as well, but that’s up to you if you want to get it inspected or not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have to plug in across kitchen other wise I blow my breaker. But that short walk is so worth it

Deuces

I can’t take it anymore, I need a freakin air fryer.

Wheres a guy go for a mid level one, I stay away from city Walmarts as much as I can. The people in spandex who shouldn’t be in spandex makes me loose my appetite. On that note, I don’t need an air fryer anymore.

Whew, glad we talked thru that impulse buy.

Coletrain27

I can’t take it anymore, I need a freakin air fryer.

Wheres a guy go for a mid level one, I stay away from city Walmarts as much as I can. The people in spandex who shouldn’t be in spandex makes me loose my appetite. On that note, I don’t need an air fryer anymore.

Whew, glad we talked thru that impulse buy.

Haha. We got one for Xmas and I didn’t even really want one but we have used it ALOT and we have grown to like it for certain things. Especially good with kids and making quick meals.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m looking at an air fryer that has 1700 watt output. Online calculator says this equals 14.1666 amps. I have a 15 amp service. The outlet that I prefer to use the air fryer on is the same line that has the refrigerator/freezer (adjacent outlets). Will this be OK or will I trip the breaker often?

What was your outcome? I think that you need to fish a #12awg wire and back it with a 20 amp breaker for the fridge but better yet is to fish a separate wire up with the breaker and leave the existing alone?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The air fryer I am looking at is a CruxGG at Target. Both the single and double bin pull 1700 watts. Both on sale right now. I’ll check out all the outlets in the kitchen to identify their circuits. Can you ever trust the diagram in the fuse box? Yes, I said breaker in my original post but I have fuses (mid 60s house). I also have the toaster and microwave to deal with too, but those can be selectively not used when the air fryer is in use. Not so with the fridge. I’ll post the outcome. Thanks for the input.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

If you have a shop-vac, or something obnoxiously loud, plug it into the outlet you want to check and start un-screwing fuses. When the noise stops, you found it,,,

HRG

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

You most likely have a 12/3 going to the outlet then if it is fused. They ran a 12/3 and shared the neutral and have the black and red on 2 separate fuses giving you the 2 dedicated kitchen curcuits that was required back then. Check and see if it is and you could put a 20a fuse in, and possibly change the circuit where the air fryer will be, say if it is on the red and so is the fridge change it to the black at the air fryer spot.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn
    Coletrain27

We have the same one bearcat. The first one only lasted 2 months and the fan started getting really loud. Returned it to kohls and got a replacement no questions asked. And yea chicken wings are awesome!

CaptainMusky

And yea chicken wings are awesome!

IMO its probably the best way to make them. Man do they come out perfect. Those $1 banquet pot pies are fantastic in there too!

Alagnak1

Chicken wings are great in there. All 5 half wing pcs that fit, or 3 corn dogs hahaha. I guess the boss bought the smallest one they make but it’s still the size of a small cooler (not small). Pretty worthless if cooking a snack for more than one person. If you get one get a bigger one.

CaptainMusky

Chicken wings are great in there. All 5 half wing pcs that fit, or 3 corn dogs hahaha. I guess the boss bought the smallest one they make but it’s still the size of a small cooler (not small). Pretty worthless if cooking a snack for more than one person. If you get one get a bigger one.

Our air fryer is pretty big (Instapot Vortex). I think I have done at least a pound of bone in wings in it. Ours has two racks. You wont get as many in there as a traditional fryer but you dont have the mess either.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Thank you for all the replies. My son and I checked which fuses control which outlets in the kitchen. The top outlets are on one fuse and the bottom outlets are on another. I just need to run on the upper since the fridge is on the lower. But I changed my mind on the air fryer. I don’t need speed per se being retired and also saw some negative reviews regarding the type of plastic (BPA), the non-stick coating durability and noise. So I’m getting a Hamilton Beach toaster oven, model 31243. It has a convection oven setting and also an air fry setting. Can also hold a 12″ pizza and a 9 X 13 baking pan, plus its 1500 watts. It will be more versatile than an air fryer and quicker preheating than the big oven.

Ryan Wilson

My rule of thumb has always been 1 amp per 100watts so anything above 1500w gets its own appropriate circuit.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’m looking at an air fryer that has 1700 watt output.

If the output is 1700 watts the fryer is drawing more that 1700 watts. No appliance is 100% efficient. Years ago I was hoping to power an 800 watt microwave with a 1000 watt generator. When I read the spec plates on the microwaves I learned that depending on the brand they used 1100 to 1250 watt input to produce their 800 watt output.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.