Advice on Some Gear

• Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

As I’ve gotten more into bowhunting the last few years I realize it’s something that’s here to stay and I need to add some gear. So I’m looking for some advice on the following items:

Bow case-Don’t necessarily need anything fancy, will likely go with the basic Plano ones you see at Cabelas or Scheels. I don’t plan on any travel trips with my bow, and a lot of my sits involve me walking off my own property to where I hunt, so I wouldn’t even use it that much, more if I drive somewhere to shoot with someone.

Blind chair-I’ve seen a swivel chair on the floor at Cabela’s recently, a Blackout 360 for $60. Arms would be nice for the hours sitting there but I’m thinking they’ll get in the way if I need to shoot. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what they use.

Binos-I’m thinking these need to be good but not great. I won’t be looking across ridges at elk, everything will probably be under 200 yards in the woods that I’d use these for. I think there’s a Leupold McKenzie pair on sale at Cabela’s right now that I’m thinking are probably simple and “good enough” for what I’ll need. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/leupold-mckenzie-binoculars

Range finder-I would likely use this a lot in the woods and during practice. I could see myself ranging out different reference points as I sit so I have somewhat of a mental range card in my head. I don’t really have any knowledge of range finders and I’m open to whatever. Again, under 200 yards, doesn’t have to be fancy but I’m not afraid to spend a little on these.

I’m also looking to get some more arrows as I’m trying to shoot at least a dozen every few days leading up to the season so I’m accumulating a lot of wear and tear, just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

A little background: These purchases will likely be at Cabelas because of a built-up gift card fund as well as Cabelas points I need to use at some point. So because of having a little expense/gear fund already I’m willing to spend a little more on a few items if anyone has any good idea.

Thanks a lot for reading and any help.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t help you on much other than the binoculars. I have Vortex Diamondbacks in 10 x 42 magnification. They are very nice, have a good warranty, they’re made in Wisconsin, they come with a case, and they won’t fog up. They are full size binocs. If you want a slightly smaller set the Crossfires are better for hanging around your neck and walking with. If you look hard enough, you can find these on sale at Cabela’s regularly. I got mine about 5 years ago on Black Friday for 40% off.

I pretty much just use mine for deer (firearm) and turkey hunting.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I’d get a basic hard case for the bow, when I had a soft case I was always worried about something getting bumped and the bow being off.

x2 on the Vortex Binos, if you aren’t in a huge rush and can do some shopping you should be able to find them for not much more than those Leupolds, and the Vortex can be bought w/ the chest carrying case and neck strap. I love mine, and they are good “midwest” binos, probably a little under powered for out west.

I bought a Bushnell range finder from someone on IDO, and it works fine. Nice to have in a permanent stand for marking off distances. Personally I don’t use it for bow hunting as I hunt from the ground more, and when in stand have a pretty good system for marking off distances under 50 yards. Helps on the golf course and rifle hunting tho! jester

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

I make my own swivel seats from old boat seats. I take the cold vinyl covers off and replace it with something warm and quite. They are silent swivel, fairly portable and come apart when needed.

I picked up 3 ripped ones (people were throwing away on the curb this spring) that I am doing now. I plan on incorporating a cheap heated car seat cover (12v) for my Dad to keep his back warm. He just turned 97 and said he plans to hunt this fall.

My latest version uses a 2×12, 2 closet flanges (1″) and a 11″ galvanized nipple. The first I used a plywood base and a fixed boat seat pedestal. But is kinda bulky.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN1030-scaled.jpg

2. DSCN1028-scaled.jpg

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I can’t help you on much other than the binoculars. I have Vortex Diamondbacks in 10 x 42 magnification. They are very nice, have a good warranty, they’re made in Wisconsin, they come with a case, and they won’t fog up. They are full size binocs. If you want a slightly smaller set the Crossfires are better for hanging around your neck and walking with. If you look hard enough, you can find these on sale at Cabela’s regularly. I got mine about 5 years ago on Black Friday for 40% off.

I pretty much just use mine for deer (firearm) and turkey hunting.

They may be a good value, but definitely not made in Wisconsin. Their company is based there, however.

My vote for binos is the Maven C1 series. They are a little more money than the DB’s from Vortex, but they are in the next tier of optics…comparable to the Vipers.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Their company is based there, however.

Sorry that’s what I meant. I’m sure they aren’t actually assembled in Wisconsin.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I have had Leupold binoculars for decades. I have Acadia and Mojave. Excellent quality and value.

There are a lot of good optics out there. If you want to move beyond good, I’d suggest looking at Stiner Predators. They are just that little step up for not much more.

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

I have a grumpy back and for long sits, I broke down and bought the Millennium Ground Blind chair and I bring it everywhere. Super light, adjustable, solid, and comfy for all day sits. It’s great in a turkey blind, tucked in while bow hunting, or even as a cozy sitter for squirrel hunting. I rigged two back pack straps on it and throw it on when I go anywhere outdoors. For binos, the Leupold BX-4s are great; a good 8 power has been my only pair of binos I’ve needed. I have used Nikons, Vortex, the Scheel’s brand, and stuck with Leupold. For Rangefinders, look at Sig, they have nice range finders for good prices. They have models for in the woods to across the prairie. Figure out what features are most important and get the one that meets those needs. I’m a turd, I just put my bow in the back seat of my truck and grab it when I get out of the truck, so I don’t have a recommendation for a bow case. Hope my review is somewhat helpful. coffee waytogo

Michael Best
    Participant

I agree with looking at Vortex. Great warranty and a great product. Have heard good things about the diamondbacks. If they are anything like the viper HD or Razor HD you won’t be disappointed. The vortex rangefinder is a good one but definitely a cheaper option or two out there.

As far as arrows go. I am a big fan of Easton axis (5 mm) arrows. They are a very durable arrow. Lots of options for components. The hit insert is a good insert. Just don’t let them use super glue when gluing in the inserts. Epoxy is the way to go. Just about every bow shop and all the big box stores sell axis arrows. So they are easy to come by if you are in a pinch.

Not much of a blind sitter so can’t help on the chair.

Nodakk
    Participant

I have the cheaper vortex rangefinder and think it works perfect for backyard target practice and bow hunting.

For a chair I am a big fan of the double bull tripod chairs. They are comfortable to sit in all day and the tripod design gives you full motion to make the shot.

For a case, definitely a hard sided case. I have the $250 SKB case and love it. I was willing to spend the money on a good case to protect my bow investment and make sure nothing gets knocked around that would lead to me missing a shot.

As for arrows. I would strongly recommend going to a bow shop and talking with them about your choices. Then having them cut to your draw length. Full Draw Outdoors in Stacy is by far the best bow shop I’ve been to. Bring in your bow and they will go through everything with you. There is a deep rabbit hole that you can go down on which arrows, inserts, broadheads, fletchings, etc to use. Full Draw will simplify it for you.

Robert Harris
    Participant

Never tried Plano, but had budget Bowtech and Diamond Edge – just like any other bow as long as you practice a decent amount with it – you going to be just fine.
    Blackout360 is really nice, using it myself currently D Hunting binocular – I’m using Vortex Diamondback 8×42, but if you can get a good deal on that Leupold – go for it. Might as well check out their line of rangefinder, those are pretty decent in my opinion.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.