Adjustable receiver hitch

• Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I bought the one in the picture so I could leave my rock guard on but change trailer balls quickly for switching from fishing boat to duck boat and back. The part marked in red is not long enough so I can attach the rock guard. I need 5 1/2″ of the 2″ draw bar behind the hole before any support/gussets.
    Anyone out there have one of these that can accept a rock guard? If yes, please post the brand.
    I know there are receiver hitch extensions, but I’m trying to avoid that.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6354.jpg

Reef W
    Participant

Convert-a-ball you can use any regular bar if you don’t need the hight adjustment. There’s at least one long shank adjustable one though on etrailer but I don’t know if it’s as much space as you want or not.

Nodakk
    Participant

I bought a Hyper Hitch last year for the same reason you are running into. Bought it from M&G trailer in Ramsey. It has two different pin holes on the shank to move the hitch further from the bumper. Not cheap but includes stainless steel locking pins that are freeze resistant (held true last winter). Overall would buy again.

Coletrain27
    Participant

B&M. Made in USA and will last forever.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Mine also has the 2 holes for moving it in or out further

Attachments:
    1. 6548B6CD-A0A3-4865-A914-F17FA2EF80AD-scaled.jpeg

2. 327D93D2-7C0A-460B-84E9-68E147D49E6E-scaled.jpeg

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

I bought that same aluminum hitch from FF in april. Its a POS.
    The tolerances are so poor, it sags in my reciever bad and has worn/gouged horribly becoming even more sloppy.
    Return it and buy another brand.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I run a Trimax brand aluminum. I like it, not sure it would allow enough room for a rock tamer or not.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Mine also has the 2 holes for moving it in or out further

No offence Coletrain but it looks like its already rusting.

Coletrain27
    Participant

No offence Coletrain but it looks like its already rusting.

The hitch on the truck is what’s rusting. Even if it did rust it’s so thick that it would never cause a problem. And it’s like 3 years old whistling

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Ok just curious, I looked at B&W before I bought my aluminum they look nice.

Jason
    Participant

I have run WeighSafe aluminum hitches for the last 5 years and made a custom aluminum tubular mud flap extension assembly for it.

isu22andy
    Participant

I have a B & W thats about 5 years old . Pins rust tight all the time if you leave it in and drive with it . Kind a pain the ass taking a 30 lb hitch off and on all the time. Have to carry a hammer and punch to change the pins around . Tons of slop in it now too .

Red Reno
    Participant

I have one of these that I keep my Rockstar Rock guard on all year. I have the 2 inch and 2 5/16 ball and there is plenty of clearance for it(use to have a rock tamer on it prior to that). I am on year 10 of it and holds up to my Ranger 621 and other enclosed trailers I pull. Other thing you can do to help with this is to change out the hitch coupler on the trailer. I have changed 3 of mine over from the 1 7/8ths to all 2 inch so I don’t have to worry about having the wrong size.

Attachments:
    1. andersen-3410.jpg

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have changed 3 of mine over from the 1 7/8ths to all 2 inch so I don’t have to worry about having the wrong size.

I did this years ago too. Nothing more irritating than having a 1 – 7/8ths. The larger ones are sometimes unavoidable with big campers and such, but I want everything else to be 2″

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

I am in the Red Reno camp. I had a few trailers that were still 1 7/8″ inch and those were converted to 2″ now. I have and extended length 2″ receiver with a 2″ ball that I leave my rock tamers on for hauling boats and then another receiver for pulling utility trailers. All in I maybe have $50 of $60 into the two receivers that meet all of my needs.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

X3 on the making everything you tow a 2 inch. Unless of course you have something with a 2 5/16. It makes life much easier.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

The B&W didn’t work. The shank is not long enough. I don’t want to go with a receiver extension so I may just continue to switch out the hitches like I do currently. Will look into changing the duck boat trailer coupler to a 2″ ball. That’s a great idea I hadn’t thought of.

Nodakk
    Participant

Stop by M&G trailer in Ramsey. They will let you install the in stock hitches to see if one works. As I posted earlier, HyperHitch should work.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I changed my duck boat trailer to a 2″ coupler and hooked it up the the 2″ receiver hitch I haul the fishing boat with. Although 4″ higher off the ground (it’s actually level now), it tracked well at 65 mph. I’ll go with this for now but will keep HyperHitch at M&G in mind.
    Thanks for all the info.

Timmy
    Participant

Deleted…….. i didnt read all replies before tossing in my $.02

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.