Access to plowed lakes how does it work?

• mrpike1973
    Participant

OK So I’m one of those terrible new wheel house owners that ruins the lake by my presence devil I have a very small house 4×4 truck. When you go to pay accesses and use the road are there places to park your house? Meaning somewhat plowed enough not to get stuck. I only have been on Mille Lacs 2 times with a hub we just walked over the plowed ridge and fished. I don’t want to get stuck on a plowed ridge not sure how this works can anyone enlighten me? It will be a while before many can get up north and they can plow out the lakes but by me doubt I could even get out at all. Thanks Thinking Leech lake possible or from there south.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Most likely need someone to plow you a spot or follow a beaten path.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

You won’t be able to go through any dnow banks pulling a house with the snow we have. You will have to pay access fees and then pay for a plowed spot unless one is open. Don’t be the guy who trys to set up on the plowed road.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

It’s find a spot someone else has abandoned, clear an area yourself, make a deal with another fisherman that has a plow or offer a few bucks to the resort plow guys if they are out.

mrpike1973
    Participant

OK got it if you have them plow a spot we talking under $100 bucks to have a spot plowed?

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

OK So I’m one of those terrible new wheel house owners that ruins the lake by my presence

That’s good humor right there jester

Smellson
    Participant

Different lakes and resorts vary greatly. Some resorts plow individual spots ahead of time for wheelhouses. Others will put the majority of the snow bank on one side of the road allowing you to get off one side of the road with your house. Fwiw I have never paid someone to plow me a spot and I’ve had a wheelhouse since 2008. Granted I have a “smaller” house (8×17). Just a word of advice, always back your house off of the road instead of driving forward off the road….1. that way if you get stuck you can pull straight ahead and get out and 2. If you really get stuck its easy for someone to pull up and hook up a tow strap up.

Nodakk
    Participant

Different lakes and resorts vary greatly. Some resorts plow individual spots ahead of time for wheelhouses. Others will put the majority of the snow bank on one side of the road allowing you to get off one side of the road with your house. Fwiw I have never paid someone to plow me a spot and I’ve had a wheelhouse since 2008. Granted I have a “smaller” house (8×17). Just a word of advice, always back your house off of the road instead of driving forward off the road….1. that way if you get stuck you can pull straight ahead and get out and 2. If you really get stuck its easy for someone to pull up and hook up a tow strap up.

Very good advice and would also second that every resort is different. Plenty of places are now plowing wheelhouse spots and then charging for “custom” spots

Coletrain27
    Participant

Pick a resort and stop in and pay them for using their road. They normally have maps they will give you a copy of for the roads. Usually there are 100’s of spots already plowed off the main roads to set up on. Just find an open spot and start fishing.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

OK got it if you have them plow a spot we talking under $100 bucks to have a spot plowed?

I’ve given a plow driver a $50 a couple times and if I left the house in the same spot for a few weeks they re-plowed the trail to the house whenever it snowed.

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

If your just going for the day or a weekend, a $20 should do.
    For one spot…

mrpike1973
    Participant

Thanks guys Dan your welcome! I found humor in it as well.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Smellson great advice thanks

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

FYI, some resorts on Mille Lacs will not allow trucks with plows on their roads.

-J.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

see what you do is start off the access point with a good running start, make sure your doing no less then 100 mph by the time you hit the lake. The rest will explain itself toast

blackbay
    Participant
    mn

Make sure you fire up your strobe light on your 30 foot tall flag pole before hitting the ice. jester

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.