A New Season, A New Adventure

• Tony Capecchi

They often say how opening day in Major League Baseball brings so much potential, excitement and unknown opportunity for baseball lovers. How far will your team go, what storylines will develop and what unexpected moments will you witness over the course of 162 games?

For me, the start of fishing season holds the same thrill. Memorial Day is an annual fishing holiday in my household, signaling the start of summer and the beginning of unknown adventures. I love trying at least one or two new trips each year––targeting a new species, trying my hand at fly-fishing, doing a bucket-list road trip to a fishery I’ve always wanted to experience.

This summer, I’m taking my dad to Manitoba on just such an adventure. We’ll do a combo trip, experiencing fly-in fishing at legendary Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge some 90 minutes north of Winnipeg, then tacking on a day or two afterward to tangle with giant channel cats on the Red River or doing a multi-species day at Whiteshell Provincial Park in the southeast corner of the province.

Much as baseball fanatics love statistics, I love researching fishing opportunities. Planning trips, researching details and putting together game plans for fishing vacations is part of the fun.

Here are some trip ideas I’ve investigated for a variety of species as I consider Manitoba options for Dad and me. Any recommendations? Our fly-in will be walleye-focused so I’d love to complement it with other species for the couple days we tack onto the trip––please let me know if you have any suggestions!

And good fishing to you on your new adventures this summer. Play ball!

MANITOBA FISHING OPTIONS BY REGION, SPECIES

PARKLAND REGION
    Lake of the Prairies – Walleye

Early season walleye fishing doesn’t get much better than at this huge reservoir in the Parkland Region. The ’eyes on this lake school up big time and can be located throughout the entire 56km stretch of water. A wide range of size classes can be readily caught from juvenile eaters to Master Angler sized hawgs and everything else in between. Leeches are the bait of choice, but a variety of artificials and lures will also get the job done here.

Patterson Lake – Brown Trout/Rainbow Trout

Master Angler hunters for browns or rainbows need go no further than this stocked trout lake in the spring. These fish are accessible on open water quite literally as soon as most of the ice cover has melted away. No natural bait can be used here but cast out an in-line spinner or go with a fly rod and indicator and get ready for a fight.

EASTERN REGION
    Falcon Lake – Smallmouth Bass

Action can be phenomenal for early season tank smallmouth fishing on Falcon. The bass will generally be in their pre-spawn stage, so anglers should target specific depths and areas where they will most likely be at this time of year. Master Angler smallies over 20” (4lbs) are weighed in every year at the annual opening day bass tournament held on this lake.

Lac Du Bonnet (Winnipeg River) – Northern Pike

Whether you are looking for tons of hookups or hunting for that one monster, Lac Du Bonnet or anywhere along the Winnipeg River system has plenty of prime areas to hit for awesome summer pike action. Back bays, creek mouths, and shallow flats abound here where tossing a spoon or bucktail will entice a violent strike from these toothy predators. Or wait one out with a big game float/frozen bait combo for a shot at a northern of a lifetime.

INTERLAKE REGION
    Red River – Channel Catfish

Early season water levels can vary from year to year, but our world-renowned Manitoba cats are always raring to go regardless by the time most anglers are able to wet a line. On boat or from shore, soaking some cut bait can result in hooking up with a trophy channel catfish at any given moment.

Riverton (Icelandic River) – White Bass

All tributaries, big or small, that directly feed into the south basin of Lake Winnipeg such as the Icelandic River at Riverton, will have a population of white bass migrating into it to spawn at this time of year. These feisty slabs school up by the thousands during this short window in the spring and can be caught using almost any freshwater presentation you can think of.

PEMBINA VALLEY CENTRAL PLAINS REGION
    Whitemud River – Freshwater Drum

One of the best times to hammer a Master Angler sized drum on the Whitemud, is during early season. Famed for huge numbers and enormous sizes of these underappreciated bruisers, this river that feeds directly into Lake Manitoba can be phenomenal for arm breaking action on rod and reel.

Portage Spillway – Goldeye/Rock Bass

The Assiniboine River below the Portage Spillway is fantastic fishing for multiple species throughout the open water season. Opening week can be easy pickings for schools of goldeye in the fast water using a float and worm combo. This is also a place where you can specifically target rock bass and actually catch some. Focus on shoreline pockets and back eddies with panfish tackle and plastic grubs.

WESTERN REGION
    Oak Lake – Walleye/Perch

The largest fishable body of water in this region, Oak Lake boasts phenomenal numbers of eater-sized walleye that can be readily caught throughout the lake. Perch are also plentiful with Master Angler sized footballs not uncommon. A full-service marina makes it an easy go for the first trip of the season with the boat.

Pelican Lake – Walleye/Northern Pike

A great lake to hit opening week is this gem in the Western Region of the province. Great numbers of average sized walleye and plenty of pike will keep you active and is sure to satisfy an angler’s need to get something on the line after a long winter of waiting. Focus on shallower water at this time of year and you are a good bet to strike gold.

Attachments:
    1. Pelican-Lake.jpg

2. Portage-Spillway.jpg

3. Patterson-Lake.jpg

4. Lake-of-the-Prairies.jpg

5. Oak-Lake.jpg

6. Lac-Du-Bonnet.jpg

7. Falcon-Lake.jpg

8. Aikens-Lake-Wilderness-Lodge.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.