A little help

• Steve Timm
    Participant

Hey all,

My mom lives in Hudson and it’s a good meeting point for the family. We will be up this weekend and was hoping to get out on the croix Saturday night for some ice fishing when the kiddos go down. I’ve never fished it and my brother in law is new to ice fishing and just looking to get on a few fish for him to enjoy it. Looking through the forums I’m seeing north Hudson and bay port a lot. Would anyone be willing to share a little info on general areas and depths to try? I’ve taken a few screen shots and marked up some areas I was looking at. Was thinking bay port area for crappies in the harbors? Maybe walleyes out towards the channel. On the north Hudson side just north of the launch has lots of good structure. But shoot I have idea. Any help or advice would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
    1. D1611556-4F3E-4182-8006-2D33330C3192.jpeg

2. 0DBB9517-DB1D-49B9-AC4E-7E51FED192FA.jpeg

saugeye-steve
    Participant

I personally wouldn’t spend much time in those spots by Bayport.
    Those spots on the Wisconsin side would be worth a shot however I have been out there this year quite a bit and as of Wednesday the ice was sketchy north of Hudson for driving.
    A very large crack occurred about 500 yards north of the landing.
    Were you planning on walking out?

Steve Timm
    Participant

Thank you saugeye. Was thinking ferry landing boat launch for walking out. Would be a bit of a walk up to those spots marked but not awful. Won’t have the atv with me so kinda limited. I was also looking south of ferry landing Infront of the lake that’s damned up. Some food structure off some shallow flats from what it seems? Any recommendations you would have?

saugeye-steve
    Participant

If you are planning on fishing at night I would simply set up near the main channel in deep water.
    The fish move around quite a bit in this river so any hole or break could produce.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Yeah, it’s a suspended crappie bite. There’s not much structure to key on so any point or transition is worth setting up on. I’d scout it during the day if you can. Trying to find a walk out spot in the dark might be treacherous.

I’ve always just hopped around the basin in front of bay port. Just hole hop and look for suspended fish roaming around. Might see a sauger or walleye on the bottom, too.

Steve Timm
    Participant

Awesome, thank you again!

Steve Timm
    Participant

Thank you for the info Matt. And you bet was going to try and go look at access when the boys go down for naps this afternoon. Bay port looks to have a little closer walking from access to fishing spots?

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Thank you for the info Matt. And you bet was going to try and go look at access when the boys go down for naps this afternoon. Bay port looks to have a little closer walking from access to fishing spots?

It’s still a pretty good walk out from bay port but it is probably shortest access to deep water. Plus, there will be a lot of sled tracks to make the walk a little easier.

saugeye-steve
    Participant

Steve,
    Did you get out?
    Any luck?

Steve Timm
    Participant

We did! No luck, but we had a blast. Ended up walking out from bay port. Had some bobbers go down but no hook ups. Great body of water and excited to get back out. I appreciate the info and reaching out. Fished out in 28 fow. Has suspended fish coming through and bottom. Lots of activity down there!

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

That sounds about right for that area. Glad you got out there!

saugeye-steve
    Participant

A vehicle went through the ice out from Bayport last night.
    Everyone got out ok.

Steve Timm
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to share some local advice and knowledge Matt.

Steve Timm
    Participant

Saug-eye, I heard about that. I’m glad to hear everyone was ok. We were out until 11 pm or so and hadn’t heard or seen anything. There were still quite a few folks out though. Mostly people walking out and around. Few vehicles out though still as well. Scary stuff.

Chey N.
    Participant

Anyone else have input about ice conditions? Hearing a lot about it being sketchy right now. Supposed to go out on Friday.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.