A few observations in death alley

• Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Needed some serious stress relief so I sat out last night watching deer. I sprayed off a 1200’ x 48’ lane that weeds keep choking out clover in. Did a mix of beans, peas, carrots, and other stuff as filler. Was interesting to see the early grazing habits.
    I saw deer in death alley mid day. I was about 800 meters out, so no good visuals on buck/doe or what they were drawn to. Crawled up in the tower just after 6. By 7, half dozen bucks came in from a bedding area off my property. 3 very mature. Easily could see their racks and massive bodies at 350 meters +. Over the next 45
    Minutes they pushed out all the does and fawns that walked in. While glassing them, could see they were grazing off the tallest plants which were the soy beans.

When they moved out, the Does and a few yearlings moved in. Like the bucks, grazed off the top of the beans. Additionally, they were plowing up the carrots. Didn’t appear as anything else was being touched.

Meanwhile I could see the corn stalks waiving as yearlings were tearing the crap out of the corn. Watched them until dark. Never saw a mature deer in the corn.

Oats – nothing, not a single deer

Clover – very minimal. Deer stopped, grazed for 10-39 seconds and moved on.

New seeded alfalfa- nothing

Attachments:
    1. 3FAE9D04-91CD-4609-977C-E0CC33AA38C0.jpeg

2. 00DD9473-C21C-4BC1-AB70-3494F13E7334.jpeg

3. 93EA991F-D7F3-422F-8E41-6432FA9587E4.jpeg

mike mulhern
    Participant

I have stated many times if I only had room for one deer related food plant it would be soybeans the best year long food for deer. It has a few weak periods like when the leaves turn brown and the seeds havent hardened yet. After a rain and the pods and seeds soften again. But when the snow hits and its really cold the deer are feeding in my cut over beans looking for scraps. I leave an acre or so every year just for the winter factor.

mike

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Over the last 25 years of having this farm, beans, peas, and late oats have been the top 3. Everything has its time and place but those 3 consistently get hit

mike mulhern
    Participant

I have the same number of years and clover is an early spring attractant and then again fall after the first frost they hit it pretty hard for a few weeks as the beans come back to ripen. about that time corn has a huge role around here. right now the apple tree I have brings in the bucks on this early ripening apple.

mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.