July fishing conditions

• eleclady
    Participant

Hi-
    I forum jumped from the St. Croix River- my usual fishing grounds – as I will be the area a few days around July 4th. What might be a good target species to fish at that time of year & what special fishing licenses are needed? I figure a great lakes stamp would be required to fish the bay or anywhere on the lake and maybe a trout stamp too if that species is targeted?

My evenings will be at the Big Top, but it seems a shame not to spend at least one or two days fishing while I’m there! Any help to an angler unfamiliar to this area would be appreciated.
    Eleclady

cbeeksma
    Participant
    Delta, WI

Hi Eleclady! First, the smallie bite can continue shallow into the first week of July. Look for new cabbage weeds in 8 to 12 ft of water. Can be a great topwater bite also during calm conditions in shallows esp of long sand points. You only need a Great Lakes stamp if you are targeting and keeping trout and salmon. Most of the trout and salmon fishing will be out on the “flats” between Madeline and Long Island. Lake trout is usually the target species. In the bay you can chase smallies in the weed beds that stretch from the mouth of Whittlesey creek on the far west side of Ashland north to West End park in Washburn. Weed beds in town and on the east side of the bay are also good for both smallies and northerns. There is a consistent after dark trolling bite for walleyes also on the Ashland side. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions etc. The Big Top is a great place to hang out in the evening.
    Chris Beeksma

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.