Opening day smallies

• cbeeksma
    Participant
    Delta, WI

Opening day I had the pleasure of guiding Peter Vaillant, his brothers Matthew and Dan along with their father. What a great family of fishermen as they had me laughing and doing some netting all day long. We started with warm SW winds and fished the last 4 hours with a sharp drop in temps and a strong NE wind. Typical Lake Superior outing!

We landed 8 smallies from 14 to 20 inches (pic attached of Dan with a solid 5 lb fish) and hooked up on at least 10 more fish. We probably hooked up on fish with a 50/50 split on suspending jerkbaits and lipless crankbaits. Hot colors were the ticket though the glass minnow Husky Jerk accounted for a couple fish. We caught fish in 6 to 10 ft of water. There were alot of boats way up inside Sandcut but all left as we cruised in and we didnt touch a fish in the shallows. We had one fish that pushed 6lbs with that big spawn filled belly. A fun first bay trip of the year with more to come. Good luck and be safe.

Chris Beeksma

Get Bit Guide Service

[email protected]

scottys
    Participant
    Eagan, MN

Great report!! I will be up there on the 20th, hope the bit is still on. What are the water temps?

cbeeksma
    Participant
    Delta, WI

Should be an excellent bite on the 20th. Water temps were right at 50 deg but looks like some cool weather coming. Ok with me though as I love the prespawn bite. Right time of year to catch a 7 lber!!
    Chris

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Chris:

Nice to see you reporting again!!! I always enjoy seeing you guide people on the tube. I love that water and hope to get up there to fish it with the boat this year!!! Always a good time as I have ice fished there many years.

Mark

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Chris,
    thanks for the report. I didn’t get a trip worked in in 2005, but won’t make that mistake this year.
    Jack..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.