What’s biting in the Bay?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What’s biting up your way now anyway?

One other question I had is ….Why is that area so good for smallies? Actually, I didn’t think they lived in that kind of envornment?

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Walleyes are starting to “outbite” the smallies now with water temps in the low 40’s. Smallmouth fishing is still good but they are becoming less aggessive. Guys are going out in boats and vertical jigging for splake, browns etc from Washburn to Bayfield. This is prime time up to ice forming on the bay. The smallmouths are native to the bay and no one really paid any attention to them until the 70’s. The water temps do get in the upper 60’s to low 70’s during the summer months so the smallies thrive in tremendous amounts of cover and of course so important, instant access to deep water. Plenty of forage to keep their bellys full. They do have very unique spawning habits in the bay preferring wood to spawn in compared to sand and gravel on inland lakes. I always say the bay is really a warm water fishery that just happens to be part of Lake Superior. Mother nature also does a good job of protecting these fish with weather that keeps anglers off the water and gives the fish needed breaks esp during spawn. I just know I am very fortunate to be able to guide on the bay and offer such great bass fishing.
    Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Spawning in WOOD? Are you sure you’re not talking catfish here?

When you say wood, are you talking deadheads or trees that have fallen into the water?

I took a glace at a map, that’s BIG water! But wouldn’t the smallies be in…closer to shore? I live along the St Croix River and our bass hold to the rocks (most of the year).

When’s ice up? Don’t tell me when the lake freezes over…

You mentioned Splake and Browns…what about Lake Trout? What’s the average size of the above…When you take out a customer…what should they expect as far as size and numbers?

Thanks Chris!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.