Cheq Bay ???

• Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

How has the Fall been up on the Bay??, anyone been out lately ?? thanks, Jack..

cbeeksma
    Participant
    Delta, WI

Fall fishing on the bay is a little slower than usual for October but the water temps are staying in the low 50’s. This past Friday Todd Plath and I caught 40 smallies in 4 hours. The majority of them were caught on Rattlin Raps in Chart/crayfish in 6 to 8 ft of water in slab wood. Yesterday Oct 17th the bite was slow after the strong NW gale we had on Fri. We still managed to catch 20 smallies on suckers, jigging spoons and Rattlin Raps. Also, a bonus 7 lb walleye!! Fish are really moving on and off structure. Rocks have been consistent but you have to check depths from 9 to 22 ft. We have found most of the smallies to be related to the edge of the shipping channel but not on the break. I think the next two weeks should be awesome!! In Ashland the water is quite dirty so needs to settle down to get these fish biting.
    Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Chris

Did the cooler summer effect your smallie fishing adversely? Down here on the big river things were a little “weird” in that some of our normal mid-summer hot weather patterns never materialized and it made for an interesting “learning” year.

Good to see you back in the forums. I for one missed your reports and all this pig smallie pics!

Jack Naylor
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Chris,

Thanks for the good note and update and for adding the pic of the super Smallie, I do not seem to able to make more than one trip up there a year, and that is usually in late Spring, a Fall trip sounds like a pretty good time. thanks again. Jack..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.