9 days and counting

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

After two years of nagging, my friend is finally forcing me to shoot his .50 next weekend. I really dont want to but I gave in to the pressure. Hopefully my shoulder or retina’s dont give in to the pressure! jester
    Every year he gives me a round so I already have ammo to shoot.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

That’ll be fun. They’re heavy enough that the recoil isn’t bad! Expensive to shoot!!!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I shot a 50 cal revolver once. ONCE

Yeah those are gonna hurt… You get every ounce of recoil into your hand! No shoulder, floating barrel, or heavy rifle to hold those things back!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This one has a bipod and a muzzle break so the recoil shouldn’t be crushing but I better double up on ear protection.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good luck suzuki.Have you got a nice live target lined up like a ground hog or a wolf maybe?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good luck suzuki.Have you got a nice live target lined up like a ground hog or a wolf maybe?

Just paper. The range would frown on us shooting the gongs with that thing.

stevenoak

Definitely double up the ear protection, good muffs over plugs. Recoil is surprisingly not bad. Standing behind the muzzle brake off to the side is almost worse. Fun to watch the impact, but I don’t enjoy anything that noisy. $6 a bullet, but not like you are going to shoot 20 rounds.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Actually the report isn’t too bad either if your the guy pulling the trigger. It’s the bystanders that need the double ear protection.

We shot a 50 at Bill’s many years ago. They had a 50 S&W that my wife and daughter shot. JJ didn’t you pull the trigger on that S&W as well?

Dan
    Southeast MN

Definitely double up the ear protection, good muffs over plugs. Recoil is surprisingly not bad. Standing behind the muzzle brake off to the side is almost worse. Fun to watch the impact, but I don’t enjoy anything that noisy. $6 a bullet, but not like you are going to shoot 20 rounds.

Actually the report isn’t too bad either if your the guy pulling the trigger. It’s the bystanders that need the double ear protection.

Really good advice there. I wear double ear protection anyway nowadays as my entire adult life I’ve had employment that required a lot of range time. Highly recommend double ears, like I said I wear them all the time, even for handgun and AR-15 shooting.

I saw you mentioned a bipod, do you know if you’ll be shooting from a bench/table or prone? Either way, a good shoulder position getting a lot behind the gun to absorb recoil will be good for you.

And yes, the muzzle brake deflects at a 45-degree angle going back on both sides. I’ve been an instructor for the .50 BMG and where I ended up having to stand a lot based on the course of fire I got beat in the head a lot by that.

You’ll like it. As I said, as the shooter just get a good stable shooting position and I bet the recoil and muzzle blast won’t bother you near as much as you think.

*One additional thing I just thought of: I’m only familiar with the .50 BMG so not sure what the one you’ll shoot will be like. But if it’s like that I’d recommend bringing your non-firing hand back on the buttstock, on ours there was a spot to place your hand. The charging handle is part of the bolt and you don’t want your hands anywhere near that. So if you’re right handed, bring that left hand back.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Unable to quote Dan. Tried twice. Yes its the .50 BMG
    Thanks for the insight and advice. The AR’s should feel like BB guns afterwards!

Coletrain27

I don’t know why everyone is making a big deal about a .50??? They shoot them semi auto 7438 yards standing up in the movies no problem

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

We shot a 50 at Bill’s many years ago. They had a 50 S&W that my wife and daughter shot. JJ didn’t you pull the trigger on that S&W as well?

Yes, I remember shooting that gun! peace

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Did it. Hit my target. Didn’t enjoy it. Never again.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve put quite a few hundred rounds through a Barrett M82 and a Noreen ULR. The semi auto’s are way softer than you would think. They’re a hard push. The Noreen…ouch. But it’s “light”.

Most of the rounds in the Barrett were suppressed, but you aren’t suppressing much…obviously. They’re a riot! As long as you aren’t paying for ammo…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.