2022 NFL General Discussion

• CaptainMusky
    Participant

IMO, that should have never been a factor as that fumble recovery TD that got called back was wrong. That was 100% a catch, fumble, TD.

Yep, to the Philly fans complaining about that “hold” Philly had their fair share of calls go their way, that was only one of them. The other was that catch on the sideline. He wasnt in, two feet, bobbled the ball regained possession only one foot in.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

The guy that got called for the hold even said it was a fair call. In addition to the grab, he also pulled on the jersey. He said he hoped he would get away with it. Great on him for stepping up and saying it was the correct call rather than bitch about it and use it as a excuse.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Right call wrong call. Who got the calls?
    Just wish it didn’t end with a call deciding the ending for either team.
    I think you always root for that.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Right call wrong call. Who got the calls?
    Just wish it didn’t end with a call deciding the ending for either team.
    I think you always root for that.

I will say I think up till that call that I believe that Philly got the most benefit from calls in the game. In a normal game I’d say that call would be made 75% of the time. In a Big game like this I would have rather they had not made it.

Tlazer
    Participant

Even though he came clean and said it was holding, doesn’t mean he hadn’t did it many times before. I’ve seen it way too many times where they could have called holding many times throughout the game. But the one time they do call it seems to always be late in the game and have an impact on the outcome. Wish they would be more consistent with the holding calls throughout the game. Seems to happen more in playoff games too.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I will say I think up till that call that I believe that Philly got the most benefit from calls in the game. In a normal game I’d say that call would be made 75% of the time. In a Big game like this I would have rather they had not made it.

Agree with this. The Chiefs had a TD taken away and the Eagles got a catch to keep a drive alive that wasnt a catch. Im pretty sure they scored on that drive as well. Those two things right there and the game wouldnt have been close.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The Chiefs had a TD taken away and the Eagles got a catch to keep a drive alive that wasnt a catch.

The major difference with those two compared to a holding penalty is the ability to review the play, which they did. A holding penalty cannot be reviewed. An official has to make a call when they see it, or they don’t see it, and it cannot be looked at by 8 people using 30 cameras. Not really a good comparison IMO

CaptainMusky
    Participant

True about the ability to do a replay, but either way if those calls were made correctly the game would have been essentially over and that questionable call wouldnt have mattered.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

They better call it every time a jersey gets grabbed going forward…. especially against Philly.

On the catch bobble catch… on review, his left foot was still down when he regained and then his right.. that’s a good catch as called.

Brittman
    Participant

Tom and Bill … we would like to introduce you to … Patrick and Andy.

2 down and more to ____

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Joe Mixon has been sending out Valentines.

Same with Tua.

Attachments:
    1. 5E8F5CEC-C349-4DAC-958C-9718560ABAE4.jpeg

2. C7A915F1-6365-438B-8AA1-E0AE80696FC9.jpeg

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

The major difference with those two compared to a holding penalty is the ability to review the play, which they did. A holding penalty cannot be reviewed. An official has to make a call when they see it, or they don’t see it, and it cannot be looked at by 8 people using 30 cameras. Not really a good comparison IMO

Even after reviewing the two plays, I still feel they got the calls wrong. On the pass ruled as incomplete, I just don’t know how that was not ruled a catch and fumble. On the sideline pass I thought by the time he got total control of the ball that he never got two feet down. Had either call been ruled the other way initially, I think the review would have stayed with the original call on the field as well. In real close situations they tend to stick with the original call on the field.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Even after reviewing the two plays, I still feel they got the calls wrong. On the pass ruled as incomplete, I just don’t know how that was not ruled a catch and fumble. On the sideline pass I thought by the time he got total control of the ball that he never got two feet down. Had either call been ruled the other way initially, I think the review would have stayed with the original call on the field as well. In real close situations they tend to stick with the original call on the field.

I understand. I was simply stating that they had the ability to review those, and not the holding call late in the game, so comparing those plays to the penalty was just not a fair one.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I sure hope that Mahomes doesnt fall off the roof of that bus during the parade but he is torched.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I sure hope that Mahomes doesnt fall off the roof of that bus during the parade but he is torched.

he’s medicated due to his ankle!! woot rotflol

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I agree, it’s going to hurt like a mother tomorrow!! jester

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

The offseason has had some early headlines.

The Lamar Jackson situation is interesting to follow. The Ravens have decided to use the non-exclusive franchise tag. This locks him in at a salary around $32 million, while letting him speak with other teams. Those other teams’ offer sheets then go back to the Ravens to either match, or take x2 first round picks as compensation.

My Prediction: No team takes the Ravens up on this offer. Offering a huge contract is one thing to a QB, but the fully guaranteed part is a huge risk. Giving up x2 first round picks in the NFL is a lot. These picks are generally contributing players locked in on affordable contracts. Expect this same drama to unfold again this season, and Lamar will likely miss time with any nagging injury. I think he sealed his fate by sitting out their playoff game despite probably being healthy enough to play.

The Aaron Rodgers situation hasn’t gone away yet. He’s essentially retiring, being traded to a team he will agree to play for, or coming back to Green Bay. The “talk” is that the Packers want to see him move on but we’ve seen NFL reporters fabricate stories related to Rodgers before. The Jets sent people (including their coach) to California to meet with Rodgers. In the end it doesn’t matter what the Jets or Packers or any other team wants…Rodgers holds all the cards.

My Prediction: Rodgers ends up being traded to the Jets, but not for nearly the haul some think. The Jets would be crazy to give up tons of future assets. The Jets roster is in a very similar situation to that of the Packers talent wise…with more cap flexibility. Rodgers would be joining a group with young WRs that have flashed talent but lack chemistry with their QB. The Jets coach is relative young like Lafleur. The defense is supposed to be in the top third of the league. If this trade goes through, I am guessing the Jets sneak into the playoffs as a Wildcard team and are eliminated in the first round. Then we look forward to another offseason similar to the last couple with Rodgers.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

its crazy how many big name players are getting cut loose due to salary cap issues.

rodgers…meh……sooner he rides off into the sunset the better!!!!!!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

The latest on Erin is hooking up with the Kardashinans and giving them Diva lessons.

Lets not forget Cousins used the franchise tags with Washington and that turned out pretty well for him. If a career backup like Smith and a average quarterback like Carr get paid, Jackson with his potential will get paid.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Packer fan here and I’m sick of the Rodgers drama crap. The guy claims he’s not self entitled and yet announces to the world that he is doing a strange darkness retreat to think if he wants to retire or not. Use to love the guy but man just announce your coming back to play football or retire already. Packers are kinda screwed money wise for whatever he does so I’m just over it and announce what you are going to do.

Tlazer
    Participant

Can you believe Jones the QB of the Giants just signed a 4 year $160M contract? Salaries are going crazy in the NFL. I’m sure Jefferson will get over $20M a year when he resigns. That’s why most teams are always in salary cap he//.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

At this point I don’t even think the salary cap is real. rotflol The Vikings have supposedly been in salary cap he// for a decade, but the only casualty has been losing a vet here or there with some money left (ie Kendricks).

And I think you accidentally hit a 2 instead of a 3 at the beginning of JJ’s next contract. He will get north of $30M averaged out over the course of the contract. Here’s the WR right at or close to $20M avg/year: Brandin Cooks, Mike Williams, Amari Cooper and Chris Godwin. Tyreek Hill’s new deal was the first to cross $30M/year.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

At this point I don’t even think the salary cap is real. rotflol The Vikings have supposedly been in salary cap he// for a decade, but the only casualty has been losing a vet here or there with some money left (ie Kendricks).

And I think you accidentally hit a 2 instead of a 3 at the beginning of JJ’s next contract. He will get north of $30M averaged out over the course of the contract. Here’s the WR right at or close to $20M avg/year: Brandin Cooks, Mike Williams, Amari Cooper and Chris Godwin. Tyreek Hill’s new deal was the first to cross $30M/year.

The Vikings would race to ink him for $30 million a year given comparable contracts and the projections for salaries to only grow. Hill is the highest paid currently and he will turn 30 this year. JJ’s window is substantially longer and his game doesn’t rely nearly as much on his speed.

I’d bet JJ’s camp won’t respond to negotiations starting with anything less than $35 million a year when the time comes.

Draft picks are only going to become more and more valuable as these contracts explode. If you “hit” on a 1st rounder it’s like winning the lottery. For reference, the #1 overall pick made $6.7 million last season. Cine drafted by the Vikings at the end of the first round made only $2 million. Look for the players union to request this structured salary grid for draft picks to be completely blown up or eliminated like it used to be in the next round of negotiations.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

The latest on Erin is hooking up with the Kardashinans and giving them Diva lessons.

Lets not forget Cousins used the franchise tags with Washington and that turned out pretty well for him. If a career backup like Smith and a average quarterback like Carr get paid, Jackson with his potential will get paid.

Jackson’s game is different than Cousin’s. Cousins also has a track record of being extremely healthy. Lamar Jackson is worth more to Baltimore than he is to anyone else in the league with the familiarity of system and having it built around his skillset. I think deep down he’s regretting turning away the Ravens previous offers. They were reportedly all over $40 million a year but not 100% guaranteed. Carr got “paid”, but on a yearly average it’s not that much more than Jackson’s tag number. Jackson is swinging for the fences based on what he did 2 years ago. So far the market is telling him otherwise.

duh queen
    Participant

Why is it that when an overpaid, self-indulgent, prima-donna QB locks himself up it’s called a “darkness retreat” and the media fawns over it. But when terrorist monsters of dangerous thugs get the same treatment, it’s called solitary confinement and it suddenly switches from a way of “finding one’s self” to cruel and unusual punishment. The only thing cruel or unusual about this whole situation is the way the media is treating us with its non-stop, 24/7 coverage of people we don’t even care about. Hmmmm.

duh queen
    Participant

Admittedly, I’m skeptical of the legitimacy of the NFL games. Waaaay too many convenient calls/turnovers/fauxpas for it to all be on the level. Now, with that said, what do you suppose might be the easiest way for the league to influence(read “rig”) games? By the QB. Thus the league is ponying up boatloads of cash to either keep them silent, or buy them. …..just sayin’

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

The Vikings would race to ink him for $30 million a year given comparable contracts and the projections for salaries to only grow. Hill is the highest paid currently and he will turn 30 this year. JJ’s window is substantially longer and his game doesn’t rely nearly as much on his speed.

Agreed. You could have a Hill/JJ comparison/discussion but otherwise I’d take JJ over all of them. And if their contracts set the market then the major difference is JJ’s age and having been relatively injury-free. Those are hard comps because JJ has plenty of more years ahead of him compared to the rest.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I’ve learned more about this non-exclusive franchise tag in the past 24 hours than I ever knew. I could definitely see teams go in this direction more in the future.

So the way I understand it, the Ravens could put the exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson for a bunch of money ($45 million) and he stays with them for a year, pretty concrete.

Instead they sign him to a non-exclusive franchise tag for less money ($32 million). A different team could make him an offer and if he likes it the Ravens have 5 days to match the offer. If they don’t, Jackson leaves and the Ravens get TWO first-round picks in compensation.

Draft picks…FIRST ROUND draft picks….are huge in the NFL. I can’t see a lot of situations where a team would be willing to pay more money AND lose two first-rounders. Sure, maybe a “just a QB away” team, but then you’ve gotta win immediately or sign the guy to a massive contract, but you’ve got no first-rounders to get skilled talent at a cheap, rookie deal price. Or maybe the Texans, who have a lot of draft picks. In some cases two first-rounders isn’t that bad if it gets you an already established top-level NFL QB.

Or…you do what the Ravens did and pay the guy less money than the franchise tag and basically dare another team to offer him higher. If they do, you get two first-rounders from them.

Plus there’s always the possibility at some point throughout the year they start getting along again and do work out a multi-year deal. Of course, Lamar could always hold out this year, not sure how that works with the Ravens holding his rights….but I still think it’s a good move for a team.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Admittedly, I’m skeptical of the legitimacy of the NFL games. Waaaay too many convenient calls/turnovers/fauxpas for it to all be on the level. Now, with that said, what do you suppose might be the easiest way for the league to influence(read “rig”) games? By the QB. Thus the league is ponying up boatloads of cash to either keep them silent, or buy them. …..just sayin’

Did you use a whole role of tinfoil for that hat.

Viewing 30 posts - 571 through 600 (of 600 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.