2022 NFL General Discussion

• CaptainMusky

Judging a rookie coach who had the most wins in team history in a rookie season by 1 playoff game if awful knee-jerk. Were there some questionable calls on offense? Sure, but if they worked you wouldnt be questioning it. The defense was the demise of this team and why Donatell is still employed is beyond me. Players that have normally been old reliable like Kendricks were flat out awful Sunday. That was probably his worst game ever. He looked lost, is that on him, the scheme or coaching? Not sure but he never looked that bad.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

You’re not gonna win too many playoff games giving up 31 points. Agree, Kendricks did look lost, that really stood out to me as well.

CaptainMusky

Agree, Kendricks did look lost, that really stood out to me as well.

I was absolutely shocked at how bad he looked. He has always been one of if not the best players on the defense.

Ripjiggen

The defense is old and slow. Including Kendrick’s. With basically no young defensive players working out in the last 4-5 drafts that is what happens.

Justin Donson

Anyone else think it’s dumb that they had a playoff game on Monday?

Dallas gets 6 days in between games(and they need to travel) and the Niners get 8?

Dan
    Southeast MN

I think it may have been Tony Dungy that tweeted that the Niners will get 56 extra hours of rest compared to Dallas, and that doesn’t include Dallas flying back to Tampa and eventually flying to San Fran.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Rams played on Monday night in the wild card round last season and then again 6 days later. They also flew across the country from LA to Tampa and back.

They ended up winning the Super Bowl.

You could make the argument that Dallas received an extra day of rest between week 18 and the wild card round too, while the Niners had one less day.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Dallas gets 6 days in between games(and they need to travel) and the Niners get 8?

Not really, the millions and billions everyone associated to the NFL makes, is based off TV revenue, and Monday/Sunday Nights are the most viewed games. Gotta make hay when the sunshines. Plus, 6 days is plenty of time for rest and game planning. I don’t think the extra day (or 2 in this case) of rest is significant. And taking a custom built private flight isn’t a factor imo either. The Thursday Games after a Sunday game, especially if the Sunday game was against a division rival, is way worse imo.

lindyrig79

It may make it slightly harder for Dallas. But, as a fan, I really enjoyed having the playoff games spread out. Still having a playoff game on Mon night to look forward to was awesome.

Dan
    Southeast MN

But, as a fan, I really enjoyed having the playoff games spread out. Still having a playoff game on Mon night to look forward to was awesome.

Helllllllllllllllllll yeah!

Brittman

I am curious to how the defense plays out in the final rounds of the playoffs. 49ers, Bills, and Bengals are the top 3. Cowboys and Eagles are neck and neck at 7 and 8. Jags right in the middle. Mahomes and his Chiefs are slightly below middle of the pack followed by the Giants.

Brittman

The 49ers did the Rams a world of favor when they beat the Packers last year in the Divisional round.

Rams ended up home team vs. the 49ers instead of playing in Green Bay.

That must be really depressing for Packer fans.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    The defense is old and slow.

It will be a big turnover between now and next year for sure.

Hopefully but remains to be seen and easier said than done.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Should be a good weekend of football! I see it as 2 great matchups and 2 mediocre ones. 9ers-Cowboys and Bills-Bengals should be great, I’m rooting for the 9ers and don’t really care in the other. Love Burrow, but his OL is really banged up (again) and kind of like the idea of Bills-Chiefs at a neutral site in ATL. I think the Chiefs and Eagles should roll pretty easily.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m not so sure that Hurts is full healthy. They didn’t use him on any designed runs in week 18. That’s a big part of his game. Guess we’ll find out pretty quick. If they use him on designed runs like they did for 14 weeks, the answer will reveal itself.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Should be a good weekend of football! I see it as 2 great matchups and 2 mediocre ones. 9ers-Cowboys and Bills-Bengals should be great, I’m rooting for the 9ers and don’t really care in the other. Love Burrow, but his OL is really banged up (again) and kind of like the idea of Bills-Chiefs at a neutral site in ATL. I think the Chiefs and Eagles should roll pretty easily.

Let’s hope you are right on the Chiefs and Eagles. If they pick up the W (moneyline parlay), so does my wallet lol

Last week the Vikings/Giants over was a nice hit as well.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^Full disclaimer, the Eagles make me very nervous. Luckily I think the Giants are quite overrated (The Vikings defense was historically terrible), but expect a close game. I’m thinking the Eagles get it done by 4.

Keep in-mind the Eagles beat the Giants 22-16 when the Giants were sitting a lot of guys with nothing to play for, and the Eagles were fighting for a 1 seed with all of their starters (minus Hurts). whistling

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Saw something interesting today. The Average Age of the remaining 8 QB in the playoffs is Just over 25Years old. 4 of them are 25 or under. The other 4 are between 26-29. Hard to believe that Mahomes is the 2nd oldest at 27. Lots of good young QB’s showing up this year. If Tom Brady at 45 had won last week the average age would have really changed. Hard to believe that he is 20 years older than the average age of those remaining.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>
    The only thing I agree with in your whole post is Kwesi has his work cut out for him.

You don’t really believe all that do you?

Yes, he does. He also stated that the Seahawks would be competitive in SF, and they were for about 17 minutes. Hasn’t said a word about it since.

He is accurate when he says the defense really did not improve though. The only statistical category was turnovers. Overall, they were ranked at or near the bottom the past 2-3 seasons under Zimmer. This year they were ranked 31st overall, out of 32 teams. I do think the team clearly responded better to a coach like KOC though, rather than the fear-based old school style of the Zimmer era the past couple seasons.

Actually, you need to go back and read everything I said about that 9ers game. I think there were some posts you missed. And you mischaracterized what I said to begin with. Purdy was shaky in the first half. Deebo made an all-world play to keep the 1st drive in the second half on track. It was a white knuckler right up until the Sea Chicken’s Center got injured when they were in the red zone with barely 3-minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. The next play was that questionable lineman downfield call that sent Coach Carroll into a rage. The 9ers never looked back, getting the fumble a couple of plays later against a discombobulated team. Purdy escaped the vise due to the refs getting involved. We will never know what the game would have been had not the Hawk Center been injured or the ref’s swallowed the whistle on that ticky-tack call. That was when the odds of game swung wildly in the 9ers favor.

Bass Pundit

Judging a rookie coach who had the most wins in team history in a rookie season by 1 playoff game if awful knee-jerk. Were there some questionable calls on offense? Sure, but if they worked you wouldnt be questioning it. The defense was the demise of this team and why Donatell is still employed is beyond me. Players that have normally been old reliable like Kendricks were flat out awful Sunday. That was probably his worst game ever. He looked lost, is that on him, the scheme or coaching? Not sure but he never looked that bad.

I am a Zimmer partisan. I think this should have been Zimmer’s team to rise from the ashes with. I fully fleshed out my position on this blog

The choice to use the throw to Cousins is a strategic mistake in that situation. I’ve got no problem with that play on third and short if we are in field goal range or on the goal line, but I would slate it for 2nd Down if I was inside the 5. That strategic blunder was all it took to lose the game. Could we have been stopped on a different play, sure. I wouldn’t have an issue if they stonewalled Cook or Cousins got sacked. Stupid time to try a trick play that goes to Cousins behind the line of scrimmage. Put it in your playmakers’ hands to get the first down.

I’m pretty sure I was upset with the Lions loss for a similar poor strategic reasoning.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Now that we are down to the final 4 teams, I think it is right where a lot of people ( Myself Included ) thought we would be. I’d really like to see a KC Vs Cincinnati SB, but I’m not sure KC can get past Cincinnati. For some reason Cincinnati just seems to have KC’s ticket. I think SF will take Philly. I just think their Def. is to good.
    Curious what all of your picks are for next weeks games and the SB winner. I’m going to say Cincinnati and SF with Cincinnati winning the SB.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Fun weekend of football even if most of the games weren’t all that great. Joe Burrow is just the man, what a great performance by him and that team. Steamrolled the Bills who never seemed to get anything going, and have Diggs doing Diva Diggs things, which every Vikes fan knew was coming at some point. AFC Game all depends on Mahomes and his ankle, if he’s good to go and make Mahomes type plays, that should be an epic game down to the wire. Without him, I think the Bengals win easily. Although I don’t think the Bengals OL will dominate KC like they did the Bills. NFC game going to need a LOT more out of Purdy and the SF offense, but the SF defense fly’s around and makes plays like we haven’t seen in a while. I’m hoping for a 49ers-Cincy SB, but would be fine with 49ers-Chiefs. Screw the Eagles.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya, the Eagles can go anytime here.

The AFC title game will largely dependent on the health of Mahomes.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What I want to see:

-49ers win and go on to win the whole thing (I like how Kittle and Warner play 100 miles an hour laying it all on the line every snap)

-Mahomes to be healthy and have an all time classic shootout with the Bengals with both competing at their best

What I think will happen:

-Eagles win (Hurts looks pretty healthy, and the 49ers really toned down what they allowed Purdy to do from a game plan perspective against the Cowboys)

-Cincinnati wins and it’s not a last second classic. The Mahomes injury could flare up on one of the first snaps, and he relies on his mobility so much to extend plays.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I sure hope Mahomes is healthy. I’d hate for Cincinnati to get the win Due to a injury to Mahomes effecting the outcome of the game. Knowing Mahomes, I doubt there is any chance that he is not starting next week. How well it is healed and how much it effects his play will need to be determined.

Bass Pundit

I think this is the end of the road for the 49ers and Chiefs. Really hoping Burrow and Cincy get the prize.

lindyrig79

Bengals / Chiefs should be a good game. Hoping Mahomes ankle isn’t too much of a factor in the outcome. And, I hope the Eagles get shot down. Probably unlikely but a guy can hope.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Someone put a 49ers jersey on the statue of Rocky Balboa in Philadelphia yesterday. Ballsy move

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Uh oh, Mr Irrelevant is hurt. Enter Josh Johnson.

Viewing 30 posts - 481 through 510 (of 600 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.