2022 NFL General Discussion

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I know there is a Vikings thread and another one specific to DeShaun Watson, but nowhere to talk all things NFL.

One thing I just remembered this morning but wasn’t 100 percent sure of I think Thursday Night Football is only on Amazon streaming service this year. Wonder how that will work need to check with the wife if we even have that

stout93
    Becker MN

I’ve watched less and less NFL the past few years. I remember I’d watch the pre game shows, then the noon game, then the 3pm game and then the Sunday and Monday night games. Now just watch the Vikes when they are on. Don’t think I’ve watched a Thursday night game in 5 years.

I’m more of a college guy anyway. College football Saturdays are the best.

JEREMY
    BP

Pretty sure you are right and I think its a crock. NFL ticket says all out of market games so I wonder if thats false advertisement if Thursday is only on Amazon.

lindyrig79

I’ve watched less and less NFL the past few years. I remember I’d watch the pre game shows, then the noon game, then the 3pm game and then the Sunday and Monday night games. Now just watch the Vikes when they are on. Don’t think I’ve watched a Thursday night game in 5 years.

I’m more of a college guy anyway. College football Saturdays are the best.

I’ve gotten to enjoy college football more in the past few years. I think it helps having my son into football now, and at least the Gophers kinda relevant

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the TNF games that are on Amazon are also on NFL Network. I could be mistaken though.

lindyrig79

Just found this article says Amazon paid $1 Billion to be the exclusive provider of TNF. I think Al Michaels is going to Amazon too. Which is kind of sad to me, I felt Chris and Al were about the best combo out there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Amazon paid $1B for Thursday Night Football, and will be the only location to stream. Check with your wife, you may already have Amazon Prime and not even know it. Or just see if you have Amazon boxes on the front step or hidden in the recycling bin daily/weekly rotflol

AFC West is going to be one of the, if not the #1, toughest divisions in NFL history. 4 top QB’s, stud pass catchers and pass rushers all over the division. NFC is pretty weak imo, Bucs, Rams and Packers will be right there, possibly 9ers if Lance is the guy they drafted him to be. Packers Defense is going to be nasty, and probably the best in Rodgers tenure, and the same could be said for their ground game. I just don’t think they did enough to replace Adams, and the OL is aging as well with unproven depth behind it. But I would not be surprised to see them back in the NFC Championship…for another choke job! tongue

Now come with me as I put my purple glasses on. Vikes offense is going to be excellent, like top 5/top 3 good. OL is actually rounding into form for the first time in a decade, and they have top of the league skill position players that suit game manager/system QB Cousins perfectly. Defensively if Z’Darius Smith and Hunter stay healthy this defense will look nothing like the last couple years. They should be attacking the pocket, and the corners will be dropping into Cover 2/3/4 zones most of the time which eliminates some of their weaknesses. Hicks/Kendricks are studs, and Harrison Smith finally has a co-hitman with Cine on the backend. Harrison Phillips is a big pickup along the Pat Williams/Linval Joseph level to clog up the middle and slow the run game. Biggest red flag is their depth, so if they stay healthy the only question is which creative way do they rip our guts out this year?!?!? SKOL!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Check with your wife, you may already have Amazon Prime and not even know it.

One of the funniest lines I’ve ever seen on this site.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

which creative way do they rip our guts out this year?!?!? SKOL!

Missed FG in the Championship Game!
    Oops you said creative, sorry.
    SKOL!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the Bills are the best team in the league. And except for losing the last two years against the Chiefs in the AFC Playoffs, they could have easily gone on to win a super bowl.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think the Bills are the best team in the league. And except for losing the last two years against the Chiefs in the AFC Playoffs, they could have easily gone on to win a super bowl.

Except that the Bengals won the AFC last year…Bills are very good, but have no running game and depending on aging Vonn Miller for a pass rush. I like Allen a lot tho and could see them closing the deal this year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Here are the current odds to win the Super Bowl. This is as of August 18.

Bills 6-1
    Bucs 8-1
    Chiefs 11-1
    Rams,Packers 12-1
    Chargers 15-1
    49ers, Broncos 17-1
    Cowboys, Bengals, Ravens 20-1
    Colts, Eagles 25-1
    Cardinals, Raiders, Saints, Vikings, Titans 40-1
    Patriots, Dolphins, Browns 50-1
    Steelers, Commanders 90-1
    Giants, Panthers 125-1
    Seahawks, Jaguars, Lions, Jets 150-1
    Bears 175-1
    Falcons 250-1
    Texans 300-1

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Check with your wife, you may already have Amazon Prime and not even know it.

One of the funniest lines I’ve ever seen on this site.

It’s so true too. Well done

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s going to be a lot of parity in the league this year among the mid-tier and top notch teams which makes for a good product as a fan.

I think the Packers and Vikings finish with identical regular season records. Both have talent in some key spots on both sides of the ball to carry them both to the playoffs (one as a wildcard team).

My off the cuff “rankings” for top 10 teams as of now:

1. Buffalo Bills – Allen is a stud. They have depth in most areas. They have a roster with some playoff experience that should start to shine through. The only question mark is maybe their secondary with a few injuries to start the year.

2. Tampa Bay Bucs – Their division is weak and they should sweep it without issues. Brady could come in rusty, but it ultimately won’t matter. He’s the ultimate professional and wouldn’t have come back had he not been confident they can make a run at another Lombardi. The offense has some special pieces. You cannot cover everyone they have simultaneously, and Brady knows it.

3. Kansas City Chiefs – They will be battle tested within their own division. Mahomes can take over games even without Tyreek Hill. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the offense run even more smoothly now with one less element of drama demanding targets. Andy Reid is also the best offense coach on the planet.

4. LA Rams – The roster remains largely intact from a SB which is an impressive feat in itself. They’re not any younger, but they now know what it takes to win. Stafford reportedly is banged up, which could quickly plummet their stock.

5. San Francisco 49ers – I think people are wrong when they say it’s all on Trey Lance. He has a tremendous supporting cast and a coach who can scheme with the best of them. They’re arguably one of the deeper teams in the league as well. They may have some growing pains from Lance in spots, but the physicality this team possesses will pay dividends more often than not.

6. LA Chargers – This team keeps adding pieces year after year to build it the right way and for the long haul. They remind me a lot of the Bills a couple years ago. They will be a substantially better team than a few who make the playoffs by default from bad divisions after their weekly gauntlet in the West.

7. Minnesota Vikings – It pains me to put them ahead of the Packers, but they have very few weaknesses. The only real question marks I see are how the O line performs and how the secondary does against some of the league’s better offenses. Hunter should have a nice bounce back with Smith garnering a lot of attention on the opposite side. Jefferson should lead the league in yards at the WR spot. Cook is a pro bowl talent when healthy. The new coaching staff seems to have the locker room completely on board.

8. Baltimore Ravens – I’m not overly high on Lamar Jackson as a franchise elite qb like some are. However, their ability to run the ball, get him on the edge, and use RPOs makes them a tough prep for any team in a week’s time. They are another team like the 49ers whose physicality tends to win them a handful of games alone each season.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – Yes this looks low. They went to the SB and Burrow should only get better. I just don’t see their roster being as talented as some above this spot collectively. The defense played really well late last year to match their offense. I’m not sure I see that happening again.

10. Green Bay Packers – They have invested in their defense, but at what cost? One could easily argue this is the least talented WR group in the entire league which could cause fireworks with Rodgers. Add to that the realization that their all pro Tackle is not healthy still (and May never be)…and it’s hard to see them as more than a wildcard team. Rodgers will have his MVP type drives and moments, but this team still has a lot to prove to be a contender.

Honorable Mention: Cowboys, Colts, Eagles, Titans, Raiders

lindyrig79

There’s going to be a lot of parity in the league this year among the mid-tier and top notch teams which makes for a good product as a fan.

I think the Packers and Vikings finish with identical regular season records. Both have talent in some key spots on both sides of the ball to carry them both to the playoffs (one as a wildcard team).

My off the cuff “rankings” for top 10 teams as of now:

1. Buffalo Bills – Allen is a stud. They have depth in most areas. They have a roster with some playoff experience that should start to shine through. The only question mark is maybe their secondary with a few injuries to start the year.

2. Tampa Bay Bucs – Their division is weak and they should sweep it without issues. Brady could come in rusty, but it ultimately won’t matter. He’s the ultimate professional and wouldn’t have come back had he not been confident they can make a run at another Lombardi. The offense has some special pieces. You cannot cover everyone they have simultaneously, and Brady knows it.

3. Kansas City Chiefs – They will be battle tested within their own division. Mahomes can take over games even without Tyreek Hill. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the offense run even more smoothly now with one less element of drama demanding targets. Andy Reid is also the best offense coach on the planet.

4. LA Rams – The roster remains largely intact from a SB which is an impressive feat in itself. They’re not any younger, but they now know what it takes to win. Stafford reportedly is banged up, which could quickly plummet their stock.

5. San Francisco 49ers – I think people are wrong when they say it’s all on Trey Lance. He has a tremendous supporting cast and a coach who can scheme with the best of them. They’re arguably one of the deeper teams in the league as well. They may have some growing pains from Lance in spots, but the physicality this team possesses will pay dividends more often than not.

6. LA Chargers – This team keeps adding pieces year after year to build it the right way and for the long haul. They remind me a lot of the Bills a couple years ago. They will be a substantially better team than a few who make the playoffs by default from bad divisions after their weekly gauntlet in the West.

7. Minnesota Vikings – It pains me to put them ahead of the Packers, but they have very few weaknesses. The only real question marks I see are how the O line performs and how the secondary does against some of the league’s better offenses. Hunter should have a nice bounce back with Smith garnering a lot of attention on the opposite side. Jefferson should lead the league in yards at the WR spot. Cook is a pro bowl talent when healthy. The new coaching staff seems to have the locker room completely on board.

8. Baltimore Ravens – I’m not overly high on Lamar Jackson as a franchise elite qb like some are. However, their ability to run the ball, get him on the edge, and use RPOs makes them a tough prep for any team in a week’s time. They are another team like the 49ers whose physicality tends to win them a handful of games alone each season.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – Yes this looks low. They went to the SB and Burrow should only get better. I just don’t see their roster being as talented as some above this spot collectively. The defense played really well late last year to match their offense. I’m not sure I see that happening again.

10. Green Bay Packers – They have invested in their defense, but at what cost? One could easily argue this is the least talented WR group in the entire league which could cause fireworks with Rodgers. Add to that the realization that their all pro Tackle is not healthy still (and May never be)…and it’s hard to see them as more than a wildcard team. Rodgers will have his MVP type drives and moments, but this team still has a lot to prove to be a contender.

Honorable Mention: Cowboys, Colts, Eagles, Titans, Raiders

Not bad Bucky!

buck-slayer

Im in fantasy football so that keeps me tuned in a lot on the different games. Despite the drama with Aaron Rodgers I love rooting for the Packers. Also love to go to Lambo Field an experience in its own.

Ryan Schwartz

I used to be more into the NFL, but watch less and less each year. The rule changes have altered the game too much for my liking. I get it’s for player safety, but it feels like watered down football. If the Bucs, Packers, or Rams are playing a marquee game, I’ll tune in. Grew up a Vikings fan in the 80s/90s, but don’t feel a connection to them much any more. The 1998 NFC Championship Game ripped out a majority of my Vikings soul and the 2009 NFC Championship Game took out what was left. I’ve gravitated more towards the NHL/Wild. The skill level of those guys have really come along way in 20-30 years.

brentbullets

It is my understanding that you need Amazon Prime to watch the NFL on Thursday nights going forward. I won’t miss it as I only watch a few games a year and am normally asleep before halftime of any night game.

Go Cowboys though.

Sylvanboat

Here are the current odds to win the Super Bowl. This is as of August 18.

Bills 6-1
    Bucs 8-1
    Chiefs 11-1
    Rams,Packers 12-1
    Chargers 15-1
    49ers, Broncos 17-1
    Cowboys, Bengals, Ravens 20-1
    Colts, Eagles 25-1
    Cardinals, Raiders, Saints, Vikings, Titans 40-1
    Patriots, Dolphins, Browns 50-1
    Steelers, Commanders 90-1
    Giants, Panthers 125-1
    Seahawks, Jaguars, Lions, Jets 150-1
    Bears 175-1
    Falcons 250-1
    Texans 300-1

Put it all on the Bears. Sure thing. You heard it here.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL they are such a mess. The Bears are who we thought they were.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They really are. Feels like the Bears and Lions are switching roles for the foreseeable future. The Bears missed on Trubisky, I think Fields as well (tbd) and it’s going to set them back for years.

lindyrig79

How bad are the Seahawks?!? You know it’s bad when the Bears come in and shut you out until garbage time. What were they thinking trading away Russel Wilson??

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

They really are. Feels like the Bears and Lions are switching roles for the foreseeable future. The Bears missed on Trubisky, I think Fields as well (tbd) and it’s going to set them back for years.

The Bears talent cupboard is empty. I too think Fields will be a bust, but he literally has NO help to bring him along or make plays that save drives.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Mooney is good, but I think he’s already planning his exit. Kmet is good too. But ol is terrible and the tab for traded picks is due.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Did all teams sit their stars and most starters this pre-season? If that is the way it is going to be, what is the point of watching? It will be interesting to see what a fan base will tolerate. They should charge a buck admission for what I saw in the Vikings game this week.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I read an interesting article on line about preseason games. Eliminate another preseason game, add 1 more regular season game. Add another bye and make mandatory a player site out 1 regular season game.

Not saying it is good or bad but Yea I agree those preseason games are a joke. But I don’t know how else they evaluate the new players???? doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Did all teams sit their stars and most starters this pre-season?

Yeah most teams have moved to playing the starters about one series per preseason, it’s dumb. I agree with the article Glenn read, go to an 18 game season, 2 byes (I wouldn’t require the mandatory rest week) and 2 preseason games. This gives the NFL 20 weeks to sell for TV deals (18 games + 2 byes) rather than 18 now (17 games + 1 bye), helps with player safety with the extra bye, and eliminates the preseason robbery of season ticket holders.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Same here BigWerm. The club could do it without someone else telling them they have to with the mandatory rest.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

As guaranteed money on player contracts becomes more and more common and in greater amounts, teams will “load manage” with their players. The NBA is the poster child for it, but the MLB isn’t far behind with their random IL stints for injuries that seem all but made up (think Bilateral leg weakness, or Buxton’s weekly workload). The players’ contracts and long term guaranteed money start to become bigger priorities than the on the field product for a game or two.

lindyrig79

My fantasy football draft is this weekend and I need to start prepping a bit. One of my strategies that has worked quite well over the years is to avoid players from bad teams. There are exceptions, but it is one of the factors that I use.

Who do you think will be some of WORST teams in the league this year??

I think the Seahawks will be terrible without Russel Wilson. I also think the Falcons and Jets will be bad.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 600 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.