2022 MN Waterfowl Reports

• Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nothing for me last weekend on the pond at the farm north of Mille lacs. Plenty of shooting Saturday morning but not much moving for me. Back at it this morning. If I have time this weekend might have to try jumping some sloughs.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I had a full day grouse hunting and then out to western MN for pheasants. Then with the warm weather decided to finish the weekend with some fishing on Mille lacs. Will probably get back to the duck slough next weekend.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Yesterdays wind was horrendous where I hunted this weekend. Saw a few bigger groups of geese but the wind really kept them down and close. I’m not so sure the geese could have made it across the field to us if they tried as some points…

lindyrig79
    Participant

Got out for an evening hunt a couple days ago. There were a few local ducks around, woodies and mallards. Lots of swans and coots. Didn’t see any divers or bigger flocks of migrators. Guessing the nice weather and south wind had birds staying put.

Jackfish
    Participant
    Wayzata, MN

Going out with a bang in central
    Minnesota…

Attachments:
    1. 0C665698-2665-438E-9243-91987E067CEE.jpeg

2. F9FB3BDF-45D1-4FAD-962E-1F03E94C301A-scaled.jpeg

3. 6FDA9E36-5A93-4567-B1AC-2D4A09EC9E05-scaled.jpeg

blank
    Participant

Heck of a way to finish the season! Nice mixed bag.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Are those redheads on the top right of the pile?

What’s that one duck with the white spot on its head?

blank
    Participant

Looks like 4 canvasbacks. The white spotted one is a goldeneye.

Looks like gadwall, goldeneye, mallard, canvasback, and canada geese.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I keep forgetting to post in this thread. I’ve been out quite a few times in the last couple weeks with mixed success. The low water makes it super hard to get to my normal backwater spots. So I’ve been spending my time on fields or in south central MN, where I cut my teeth with waterfowl.

1 week to go before late season goose. Loosing steam now that I found some fishable ice in the metro…

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Minnesota…

Great pics, and beautiful colors on the ducks, way to whack em and stack em! BTW I didn’t know you could hunt Tonka! jk rotflol jester

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

1 week to go before late season goose. Loosing steam now that I found some fishable ice in the metro…

Fishable ice in the metro. Do share !!!!I figured we would be close by Thanksgiving around here, but kind of thought the Metro are would be a little behind.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Fishable ice in the metro. Do share !!!!I figured we would be close by Thanksgiving around here, but kind of thought the Metro are would be a little behind.

It was right up your alley too toast

Biggest advise I can provide when looking for EARLY ice is keep an eye on topography. Not the lake, the land around it. Steep hills around small ponds hold cool air and they freeze faster. A pond half this size down the street had about 1-1.5″. This one had about 3″.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0343.jpg

lindyrig79
    Participant

Nice Jackfish!! I’m jealous that looks awesome. I finished my waterfowl season on Nov 11 up at Mille Lacs. Did a diver hunt and got into the Goldeneye. But I’d love some nice mature Greenheads like that. Oh well maybe next year I’m going pheasant hunting this week.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Nice job Jackfish. I am jealous!!
    My waterfowl season was a dud. Got out twice for early teal and got my dog trained on water retrieves from a floating boat. Just before regular opener I tweaked my back and laid me up for October. flame Put the damper on fall fishing also. When I could hunt the normal spots had low water issues.

deertracker
    Participant

I have a couple great late season spots but my waders have leaked all season. So I’m done. doah
    DT

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Biggest advise I can provide when looking for EARLY ice is keep an eye on topography. Not the lake, the land around it. Steep hills around small ponds hold cool air and they freeze faster. A pond half this size down the street had about 1-1.5″. This one had about 3″.

Ya, I do remember from my metro days some of those small pounds that would always get fishable ice earlier than most larger lakes. I just did not realize even those had fishable ice on them yet.
    I like the Pink rod by the way. Only real men are confident enough to fish with pink rods rotflol

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.