2022 Live From The Tree

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I also solo hunt from the ground, and have had a lot of success in previous years, but I don’t stay on the move. I’m usually setting up on trails into or out of bedding areas, and playing the wind. Bearcat I’d love to hear more of how you operate ground hunting?
    [/quote]

I usually hike in early and have a spot in mind to sit and or maybe sit in a stand for a couple hours. But I tend to get bored pretty quickly, I then just slowly creep around 20 yards at a time and then sit for 10 or 15 minutes and repeat. Some times I move 100 yards and then stop. It really depends where I am hunting. My 2 biggest bucks I have shot 1 with a bow and 1 with a shot gun have been shot while mid day creeping around. I try to be quiet but I don’t stress about being to quiet. If I push through swamp grass or loud ground I just throw out a few grunts maybe kick some leaves around. I actually shot a doe last night doing the same thing just to burn up a bonus tag. Muzzle loader her I got 10 yards from where I thought my buck was and she stood up so I took her to make some good sausage. I sat in a stand a few hours yesterday but just got to bored. I have kicked and spooked deer as well but I have had great success within my means of hunting. I would do drives but I don’t hunt with others. I’m usually all my self or now the last 2 seasons with my son. His doe this year came from a slow walk around 11 am. Much harder with him though he can’t walk quietly

Attachments:
    1. 20221211_170838-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

LOL Apparently you’re still learning the fine art of deer stalking or that big bruiser you’ve been referring to would not still be on the hoof teasing you.
    [/quote]

He has been a step ahead of me for a while now. I spent every evening of muzzle loader in the woods. And 540 am to 5 pm this weekend, I never seen a sign from him. I did have a decent shooter come by yesterday but didn’t take a shot. I did shoot another doe that we ground all up last night for sausage. I’m taking a few evenings off and then hope for a shot with the bow.

Attachments:
    1. 20221211_170838-1-scaled.jpg

Jimmy Jones

You seem to have a plan. Good luck!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You seem to have a plan. Good luck!

Not going to lie, my faith in getting a shot at him is going away day by day. It’s getting even harder with ice all around us.

Jimmy Jones

The next couple days of weather will suck for hunting, but its during the really miserable times to be out there that a guy can catch even a wary old buck slipping up.

Again, good luck.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Are you gun, archery, or muzzle loader hunting them?

In this area it was shotgun hunting. It’s nice if there is a wind that is strong enough to rustle the corn blades so there is a constant background noise. It muffles any noise you make as you go through the rows.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Didn’t feel like any of my other sits this year were anything worth posting about, but after that snowfall the woods look just awesome.

Attachments:
    1. 20221216_150842-1-scaled.jpg

CaptainMusky

Yes it is certainly beautiful out there. Good luck to anyone still chasing!

Jimmy Jones

Ma and I ran errands about noon today and drove by one of the many places here in town where deer like to hang out and there was a doe standing back in the trees and brush. Did she ever stand out wrapped inside all the white. Personally, I like the brown on brown, but I don’t think this white is going anywhere too soon.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well made it out this AM. Nothing yet but the trails are pounded.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wish I would have taken a picture of this mornings sit, was absolutely beautiful out there. But my toes almost froze off by 9ish and I had to leave. Was a entirely different look then early on this season. But dang was -5 a cold one

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well out this evening and spooked 4 on the walk in. Should hopefully get a cut at one. Chilly sit

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well ended up seeing 12 deer. Had a group of four end up in bow range but couldnt get drawn fast enough on the first two at 20. Got to full draw on the last 2 but I wasn’t super confident in the distance judgement. Know where to go now! Should hopefully fill a tag or two before season ends.

MX1825

A leftover for next year on my son’s property.

Attachments:
    1. aa56ca3a-.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Anyone else still getting after it? Im hoping to get out a handful more times before season closes. Going back into the spot I saw 12 tomorrow night. Hoping to put a tag on one.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Going back into the spot I saw 12 tomorrow night.

Jesus dude, below zero and 40 mph wind gusts in a tree stand? Are you a polar bear?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Jesus dude, below zero and 40 mph wind gusts in a tree stand? Are you a polar bear?

Just a guy with a dream and too much motivation waytogo but in all seriousness its a spot thats very well protected from wind so im not very worried about the wind aspect.

CaptainMusky

There is no way I would be spending any amount of time outdoors the next few days. Its already brutal out and the fun hasnt even started yet.

deertracker

my record temp in a tree is -17 with 30mph winds. I only lasted about an hour and a half. I was afraid my bow was going to snap when I pulled it back. rotflol
    DT

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The wind is, like usual, the X factor. I’ve done a whole day sit at -5, but it was sunny and super calm. Didn’t see a thing.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

-17 ambient temp is chilly. Im glad it wont be that cold.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m still out as well, I won’t be going till Saturday morning. But Saturday I’ll do a morning sit. Had seen the target buck again yesterday coming home from the archery shop. He was out on the field edge. So I know he is still around. If you can keep the wind off you and your fingers and toes warm then it’s not bad out. The wind tho gets nasty

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im excited to see the picture of that buck dead with your bow on him

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Im excited to see the picture of that buck dead with your bow on him

Oh man, that makes 2 of us.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well spooked two on the way in. Didnt go nearly as deep. Was very surprised. Hopefully it happens!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Saw 6 total. Hoping monday they get up a little earlier. Nothing got to me in time for a shot.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Saw 6 total. Hoping monday they get up a little earlier. Nothing got to me in time for a shot.

You have balls of steel man. Love the dedication. It was cold and windy. I sat home all day today just going stir crazy. It’s the longest I’ve sat at home in a while. I’m ready to be back in the woods

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I appreciate it! Honestly Its all the gear system I have dumped money into for late season. I broke it down in your other post too. But worth every penny. Was pretty comfortable. Sat in tree a total of 3 hours not including walking in,hanging my sticks/platform and tearing everything down and waking out.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well spooked 4 setting up. Had three come through outside of bow range just before close.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s going to be a beautiful sit tonight

Viewing 30 posts - 421 through 450 (of 467 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.