2021 Spring Turkey Hunt

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

MN season A starts in one week. Post your photos, experiences, frustrations, and success here!

I am going during season B, starting April 21. Last year I went during season A and there was a noticeable increase in hunting pressure which turned the birds off. I hunt private land but neighboring properties had blinds on them so were were likely competing for the same birds. Plus I think people were cooped up during the stay at home order and it was the first year they completely lifted the lottery.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Im already frustrated. 2 weeks ago went and posted a new spot(was told to by owner) its the old ladies grandma. Everyone who has called was told no hunting and 1 guy who has hunted there in the past was told last fall that was the end. Went out yesterday followed some 4 wheeler tracks and found a new deer stand and 2 trail cameras. Only way in is on narrow driveway posted on both sides. Cameras and stand are in my garage now. If they call the number on the sign then they can get their stuff. Im not going til 2nd season im sure someone will be out there before me.

MNdrifter
    Participant

I’ve got two kids expecting birds this year since it’s my youngest first year, I highly doubt I will even buy a tag for myself. I’m guessing I’m going to have my hands full getting their 2 birds on the ground. Last year was our first year ever turkey hunting. I had to enlist my dad to help my son get his last year. It’s pretty addicting. Much like everything else in the outdoors.

Attachments:
    1. 3B6ACC83-271E-4AB9-8EC6-B1664EBD9877-scaled.jpeg

2. 82A1FA76-1742-4A9C-B79D-ACA7DADC049F.jpeg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ll be hunting season A up north on public so I’ll have endless areas to spot and stock should there be a lot if hunters. I went B season last year and only encountered one other hunter.

Getting exited…almost as much a deer season.

Ahren Wagner
    Participant
    Northern ND-MN

This will hopefully be my first turkey. Been practicing calling them in in my backyard with good success so that’s a good sign.

Cody Meyers
    Participant

I’m going season A also, based on what I’ve seen in the past, the number of posters on this short thread going season A, and the weather…I wish I had bought a Season B license. I’m hunting public also, hopefully there isn’t too much traffic.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

My Grandpa always hunted the season that fell during fishing opener because he knew he’d most likely be the only one out there!

Norsky
    Participant

I was able to stick one this morning, he was with three other toms and two hens, luckily the toms came to my decoys instead of following the two hens!

Attachments:
    1. 0BF8BE14-DDE5-4D0B-BF7B-03D84D1EEEDD-scaled.jpeg

MNdrifter
    Participant

One down. Little Jake was being an a$$hole to my decoys, so I told the boy if he wanted it to take it.

Attachments:
    1. CC61FA5C-08FD-4B04-8C62-009C0BAE62C3-scaled.jpeg

steelslinger71
    Participant

Called in this big boy this morning after getting blanked the first three days.

Attachments:
    1. 440C6A51-052B-4CCE-B87B-B2604212A4C2-scaled.jpeg

steelslinger71
    Participant

“Called in this big boy this morning after getting blanked the first three days.” />

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

Hoping this makes me ready for Wed. or Thur. this next week for our WI opener!!!

Mark

Attachments:
    1. 20210416_174627-scaled.jpg

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Nice birds boys! I’m hoping to join you once my back is healed up!
    toast

Nice grouping Mark! waytogo

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Hunted Southeast MN Season A. Birds were very fickle. Most came down off the roost and went the wrong way.
    After a few hours of running and gunning, we found a big Tom strutting on a field edge and put the sneak on him. Got within about 70 yards and went to work with some small puts and purrs. Took him about 15 minutes, but every call got him about 5 yards closer. 40 yards out, I couldn’t take it anymore and let him have it. I feel very fortunate to have harvested this big boy.
    23.8 pounds, 8.5 inch beard, and 1.25″ spurs.

Attachments:
    1. Turkey-2.jpg

2. Turkey.jpg

Justin riegel
    Participant

My 9 year old daughter and I have hunted public three years in a row. First two years we had some encounters. finally this year we were able to get one down. She was more excited when the bird fell than she gets for Christmas morning. Definitely a moment I will never forget. Now she is set on a new gun for 10th birthday.

Attachments:
    1. 20210416_191707-scaled.jpg

CKT Outdoors
    Participant
    NE

Hi i started a YouTube Channel CKT Outdoors it would mean a lot if you checked it out

Corey sunderman
    Participant

Hunted last weekend. Got first bird with new .410 turkey gun. 9 in beard 1 in h spurs and 21.25 lbs.

Roosted 2 new birds tonight and taking a buddy and his kid. Should be fun

Attachments:
    1. 28997.jpeg

Born
    Participant

Killed my first with a bow Sunday, scored 69.25 It was an amazing hunt, had a bunch of birds around me and one on the roost about 60 yards away. There were 4 birds on the ground below him before he flew down. I was going to kill first bird with a beard, had a couple jakes on my left but never got a shot. One of the four made its way toward me and I shot it at 18 yards. Heard the thwap and it run off. After it run off another bird took off after him, then all the rest took off after him, I could hear them kicking it’s dead as. When I went to collect it the other birds finally saw me and run off. I used a 3′ high x 20′ long piece of burlap for my blind.Public land. My first turkey with a shotgun had white in the tail feathers as well.

Attachments:
    1. 20210418_111427-Copy.jpg

2. 20210418_111347-Copy.jpg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Killed my first with a bow Sunday, scored 69.25 It was an amazing hunt, had a bunch of birds around me and one on the roost about 60 yards away. There were 4 birds on the ground below him before he flew down. I was going to kill first bird with a beard, had a couple jakes on my left but never got a shot. One of the four made its way toward me and I shot it at 18 yards. Heard the thwap and it run off. After it run off another bird took off after him, then all the rest took off after him, I could hear them kicking it’s dead as. When I went to collect it the other birds finally saw me and run off. I used a 3′ high x 20′ long piece of burlap for my blind.Public land. My first turkey with a shotgun had white in the tail feathers as well.

What’s this “scoring?” New to turkey hunting…

Born
    Participant

Go to NWTF there is a turkey scoring process. A score above 65 is a trophy bird.They are scored by the weight x1 Beard x2 and combined Spurs x10

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I hade a fun and successful weekend of hunting. I was able to call in a nice Tom for my cousin. It was his first time turkey hunting. I was able to follow up the next morning with one of my own. His was 24lbs and had a 9” beard. Mine was 21lbs and had a 8” beard

Attachments:
    1. E70C35A8-92F3-495B-9222-8505E06C533C.jpeg

2. B6FCDC06-C08C-496B-9881-78E6A3B0D169.jpeg

3. C9564063-4C5D-4BD3-8742-43B5138746E3.jpeg

4. B33C1468-A9B8-46C1-90A0-847F2963D19F.jpeg

5. 57ECF8DF-CE34-43EC-8323-F400F66DAAE9.jpeg

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I hunted season B for 5 days straight in the rain, wind, snow, and mostly miserable conditions. I saw 57 turkeys, which is by far the most I’ve ever seen during a season here in 16 years. Unfortunately, I could not get a single legal bearded turkey to come within range – only 2 hens came within 50 yards one time. They’d fly down into the middle of a field every morning and fly back to the roost in the evening. The closest a legal turkey came was 110 yards. Extremely frustrating. I tried calls and decoys but abandoned that after 2 days. Then I tried moving my blind a couple times too.

How in the f do you get a turkey that isn’t interested in calls or decoys close enough when all they do is move in the middle of an open field? I thought about digging a pit in the field and hiding in it.

AnotherFisherman
    Participant

Well done everyone! Looks like a grand time.
    The pictures are awesome!

Not to hijack the thread, but how were the ticks? I haven’t had a chance to get into the woods yet this late winter/spring.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Well done everyone! Looks like a grand time.
    Not to hijack the thread, but how were the ticks? I haven’t had a chance to get into the woods yet this late winter/spring.

I was a little worried about the ticks ( I hate those things ) In 2 days of hunting and sitting in several different locations we did not see or find any. It was a little on the colds side. Sat. morning was around 31 and Sunday morning it was only 27. That may keep the ticks away for a little while

boone
    Participant
    Woodbury, MN

How in the heck do you get a turkey that isn’t interested in calls or decoys close enough when all they do is move in the middle of an open field? I thought about digging a pit in the field and hiding in it.

As a general statement, turkeys are not real blind shy. Did you try putting your blind out in the middle of the open field where the turkeys were flying down to? Too late now, but that’s what I would try, and put out a decoy or two. No need to dig a pit. I’ve shot turkeys from a blind that I placed in a field that’s not within a 100 yards of anything taller than corn stubble or alfalfa.

This photo is from about 2016 but it shows the point.

Attachments:
    1. 031-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

As a general statement, turkeys are not real blind shy. Did you try putting your blind out in the middle of the open field where the turkeys were flying down to? Too late now, but that’s what I would try, and put out a decoy or two

Good to know. I know they aren’t blind shy because I’ve had them walk within 5 feet of it. Wouldn’t a blind in the middle of the field stick out like a sore thumb though? It seems very unnatural. I’ve always placed it in a location where it blends in with the surroundings. I’m done hunting this season now but there’s a good chance I’ll be hunting that area again next season considering how many live there.

Born
    Participant

gimruis you could hunt again this year during the f season, maybe you knew that. I have dug a pit sort of, One year I was dealing with a similar situation and I dug a furrow a little deeper and laid in it. That day another pair of hunters came to the same field and set up by a cedar tree that I sat by the previous day. I didn’t know they were there till it was too late. I called the bird right past them and they were able to kill it. The hunter was a young boy, so I was happy for him.

I had a couple of deer ticks climbing on my pants. I didn’t see near the numbers I have before. Hoping the deep snow killed a bunch of them this year.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Aren’t most turkeys done gobbling by C or D season and later? Doesn’t that make it a lot more difficult?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.