2021 Pheasant Reports

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But I definitely won’t apologize for the way my pheasant tenders turned out!

Pheasant tenders? I might have to try this. I still have several birds in my freezer to munch on.

E4mo

@labdaddy1 Sounds like a great experience for both you and your dog! The tenders look great, too.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

If anybody cooks Sous Vide, try this recipe for pheasants. The best I’ve ever had!! Super tender.

Search for “Buttered pheasant – SousVide Supreme”. It’s on Nevadafoodies.com

LabDaddy1

Gim- it was pretty good. It’s the same recipe I use for grouse tenders(grouse is MUCH better breast meat for it tho). I basically just breast the bird out, slice into “tender” sized pieces, rinse & dry, coat in flour with some seasoning, dip in egg/milk wash, then dredge in breadcrumbs/panko. Throw it in some hot oil just like you would do for fish, except a touch longer, maybe two minutes per side. Give it a try for something different!

Thanks E4mo, it definitely was a great experience.

Netguy- I’ve never had anything “sous vide” but that looks interesting. Maybe I’ll give it a try some time. Thanks for sharing!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I finally bought an Instant Pot when they started having a “sous vide” setting. I’ve done chicken breasts, pheasant breasts and legs/thighs and steak on sous vide setting. The chicken and pheasant breasts can be cut with a fork and don’t dry out. The steaks can be done to any degree of doneness you want, then brown them on the grill. Plus you can leave the meat in the hot water for much longer (hours) than the minimum cooking time before the texture changes.

LabDaddy1

I finally bought an Instant Pot when they started having a “sous vide” setting. I’ve done chicken breasts, pheasant breasts and legs/thighs and steak on sous vide setting. The chicken and pheasant breasts can be cut with a fork and don’t dry out. The steaks can be done to any degree of doneness you want, then brown them on the grill. Plus you can leave the meat in the hot water for much longer (hours) than the minimum cooking time before the texture changes.

Oh wow, that sounds good to me. Is an insta pot a pressure cooker? Ive never used one but may have to look into getting one. It’s pretty rare(no pun intended), in my experience, to find a way of cooking game that isn’t a tedious, watchful process where the meat doesn’t turn out dry besides a quick sear in a pan on pretty high heat. Yea the old staple of using a slow-cooker with cream-of-whatever soup can turn out decent but that’s not always the most appetizing way depending on your craving at the time…

I’m definitely no professional cook, but love to try new things. Any game that turns out nice and tender is a winner in my book.

Thanks for the info!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

An Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, sous vide plus more depending on the model you get. You can also get sous vide immersion heaters that can be used on any pot. Instant Pots are much more versatile.

Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.