2021 Antlers

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

Hill hiker that is an awesome shed. Really cool looking.

waytogo waytogo i agree. since i cant find any on my own i have to live it through you guys!!!!!!! doah coffee waytogo

hillhiker
    SE MN

I’ve been walking a lot of miles trying to match the nontypical with no luck. So just incase I don’t get to show off the matched set here’s a pic of him from last fall. Definitely one of the cooler looking deer I’ve ever come across!

Attachments:
    1. 20201217_202319.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ve been walking a lot of miles trying to match the nontypical with no luck. So just incase I don’t get to show off the matched set here’s a pic of him from last fall. Definitely one of the cooler looking deer I’ve ever come across!

wonder if he “charmed” any ladies with that hardware!!!!! mrgreen whistling

bioguy

Found this guy just off an island on the ice in northern mn. Kids thought it was pretty cool.

Attachments:
    1. 20210313_133827.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Here’s my lame claim to fame. My buddy found this dead deer about 100yds from his property on public land. Unofficially scored 185 7/8 Non-Typical Gross. An absolute giant! Not sure how it died, guessing hit by a car as there wasn’t any sign of it being shot, but hard to tell.

Attachments:
    1. Deadheadstickers.jpg

2. Deadhead.jpg

3. Bogeydeadhead.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

Nice find Ice!
    That was a dandy. It’s a bad deal when it happens but it does. Car or wounded.
    Still will make a nice wall hanger and it looks like the mice haven’t even nibbled on the tines yet.

hillhiker
    SE MN

That’s a stud Ice! At least it was found and not left to be eaten by the mice and squirrels.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Yes, amazingly the little critters didn’t get to him. All the joints were pulled out of socket from coyotes, but he did have a cracked femur which is why we think it got hit by a car and succumbed to internal damage. Either way, we’ll never know for sure. But, it sure is a thing of beauty! Pics don’t do it justice.

haleysgold
    SE MN

My sister lives in Colorado and I sent some pics of sheds I picked up. She asked why I could do it here, isn’t it illegal?
    I saw the article from CO that taking antlers in RMNP was illegal as if effects the natural balance of the critters that need them to eat. And, most of the towns out there have ordinances against picking them up.

Dunno. I can’t see where depriving a few rodents from eating them would be a big deal?

Dan
    Southeast MN

That’s interesting…I agree, if you remove the antlers from each buck in the area from the food chain, would it really make that big of a difference?

If they do…I hope the rodents have better luck finding them than I do jester

Red Eye

I had heard one time it was to deter poachers from shooting elk and deer, stashing the heads and returning the nxt year to bring out their “sheds”. Not sure if true though.

buschman
    Pool 2

I do know out west there are seasons for shed hunting. They try to protect winter areas for the deer and elk in many areas. When opening day arrives it is crazy with people out picking shed. There is land specific areas were it is illegal. Here in MN the DNR natural preserve areas do not allow shed hunting for the reason stated above but guys and gal pull sheds off that land all the time. The DNR does not enforce this rule.

On a side note. We seen 3 bucks in the south metro still holding both sides!!!! I am going back out today or tomorrow to check on those guys.

buschman
    Pool 2

National parks do not allow shed hunting either.

hillhiker
    SE MN

That is a good point Buschman. If you want to be legal picking sheds off public in MN you do need to understand what lands it’s legal to do it on. I emailed the DNR about this a few years ago, and they said the only public land you’re allowed to take sheds from is WMA and state forest land in MN. County land varies by county. Whether a officer would ever question you on this who knows, but there are rules about this in MN.

jwellsy

so what do you do with all those shed antlers you find??????/

Here’s an option.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.