2021 Antlers

• hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

On the board early this year with a decent one to start things off. I was just checking cameras last night and stumbled into this just off the field. I definitely wasn’t expecting to find one this early.

Attachments:
    1. 20210106_080805.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

I saw a buck yesterday on my way to Elk River with only one antler. I guess its time to start walking around a little more. Nice Find!

AnotherFisherman
    Participant

With these nice temps we’ve been getting, great excuse to go out for some walks! Nice find Hillhiker!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

On the board early this year with a decent one to start things off. I was just checking cameras last night and stumbled into this just off the field. I definitely wasn’t expecting to find one this early.

Make sure you put a snack in that spot for the buck when he returns like the tooth fairy.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Hillhiker, you’re like the shed-whisperer! Nice find! toast applause

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I suppose I should have left my apple core for him! I know of a couple other bucks that have dropped a side, but I’m trying to hold off on pushing through some of the better spots at this point.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Hillhiker, you’re like the shed-whisperer! Nice find! toast applause

Me and the mutt just spend a lot of time wandering around in the woods!

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Went for a quick walk on public after work today, and picked up 3 including the first set of the year. The dog also went bombing off the hill, and led me to the first dead head. I have a big walk planned for tomorrow to hopefully find a big set assuming he dropped his other side by now. Cameras are still showing most bucks carrying both sides.

Attachments:
    1. 20210108_184508.jpg

2. 20210108_151247.jpg

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

so what do you do with all those shed antlers you find??????/

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

The nicer ones are displayed around the house. I’ve given some of the smaller ones away to friends for dog chews and rattling antlers, otherwise they get thrown into a rubbermaid. If I can fill enough tubs I’d consider selling them for a free hunting or fishing trip someday. I really just love wandering around in the woods and the antlers are a nice bonus at the end of a long hike.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

The nicer ones are displayed around the house. I’ve given some of the smaller ones away to friends for dog chews and rattling antlers, otherwise they get thrown into a rubbermaid. If I can fill enough tubs I’d consider selling them for a free hunting or fishing trip someday. I really just love wandering around in the woods and the antlers are a nice bonus at the end of a long hike.

waytogo waytogo I figured you’d make some kind of fancy lamp or furniture or something. waytogo

Andy Young
    Participant

How many hours do you typically walk for each shed you find? Seems like my average is 8 hours per shed. I’m in it mostly for those exercise but love finding the antlers.

Haven’t found any this year but only have spent about 3 hours walking.

Biggest I’ve ever found was an 82” 7 point from a buck I had been hunting for five seasons. I was almost as excited to find the shed as I would have been to shoot him.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Early in the year, as in pre feb, I would say 8 hours of walking per shed would be about what I spend. Of coarse there’s less antlers on the ground then, and I do my best to stay out of bedding areas early on with hopes of not pushing the deer around too much. In another two to three weeks the antler count will start climbing much faster depending on how much snow we get.

Yesterdays walk cruising the side hills between bedding and crops. It paid off with one decent shed.

Attachments:
    1. 20210123_090409.jpg

2. 20210123_085540.jpg

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Todays walk produced no antlers, but I checked two benches I suspected a big one recently dropped on. The dog was putting on a hill climbing clinic this morning! Can you find him in the first pic not so patiently waiting for me.

Attachments:
    1. 20210124_102709_001.jpg

2. 20210124_104146.jpg

Pailofperch
    Participant

Keep it up hillhiker! All bucks around me still have ivory.
    I can hear the dog up there, “Are you coming!”

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Do deers drop they’re rack a lot? Oh and where should I go to look for a rack? My cousin Bill Parkins found one but it had the head still on it last year.

They drop them every winter. Be ready to put on a lot of miles especially if looking on public land. There’s been a lot of competition for them the last couple years. Start walking deer trails, if you don’t find any walk some more trails. If you put in the work, and stay on fresh sign, you’ll eventually run into one.

deertracker
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hillhiker wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Trolly Mctrollerson wrote:</div>
    Do deers drop they’re rack a lot? Oh and where should I go to look for a rack? My cousin Bill Parkins found one but it had the head still on it last year.

They drop them every winter. Be ready to put on a lot of miles especially if looking on public land. There’s been a lot of competition for them the last couple years. Start walking deer trails, if you don’t find any walk some more trails. If you put in the work, and stay on fresh sign, you’ll eventually run into one.

I walked onto the hill at my uncles Jim Parkin land by dear river mn and he said their was a big buck like 14 points up on the hill this year do you think if I walk up that hill out his racks up their somewhere thanks ?

No. I already asked your uncle Jim if I could walk the land. I found it last week. woot
    DT

Pailofperch
    Participant

No. I already asked your uncle Jim if I could walk the land. I found it last week.
    DT

Oh did you?!?!

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    No. I already asked your uncle Jim if I could walk the land. I found it last week.
    DT

Oh did you?!?!

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

I thought Jim said I could go look for the 14 pointer, ha! Now on the off chance the troll is asking a real question the answer would be maybe they’re there but likely not. Deer can move a lot especially when winter rolls around!

Now back to business, lets see some pics of some antlers guys. I will be putting on the boots shortly to put on some miles. It’s been driving me nuts not getting out all week, dang work!

Pailofperch
    Participant

I’ll get out early next week. Looks like another round of snow in the forecast for mid-week. Fingers crossed!

deertracker
    Participant

My girlfriend and I walked her tree farm last Saturday. Pulled my cameras on our way out. All of the biggest bucks were still holding. doah I was seeing some deer that had dropped though. I didn’t put the cameras back out.
    DT

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

My girlfriend and I walked her tree farm last Saturday. Pulled my cameras on our way out. All of the biggest bucks were still holding. doah I was seeing some deer that had dropped though. I didn’t put the cameras back out.
    DT

a lady friend with hunting land……….how convenient!!!!!! devil whistling mrgreen mrgreen

deertracker
    Participant

a lady friend with hunting land……….how convenient!!!!!!

107 acres to be exact…. whistling
    DT

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    a lady friend with hunting land……….how convenient!!!!!!

107 acres to be exact…. whistling
    DT

waytogo waytogo rotflol rotflol

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I haven’t been out much in the last couple weeks but I stumbled into this one during a short walk this afternoon. Not a bad young deer.

Attachments:
    1. 20210212_162821.jpg

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I saw 3 bucks by my house that were still holding earlier this week. And today saw 13 deer out my office window with no horns, but the average weight was probably around 80 pounds on the hoof so I don’t think any of them had horns to begin with rotflol

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I have a couple cameras out on private and still have many bucks carrying as of last weekend. So far this is all just from public. I’m hoping I’ll still stumble into a couple of the big ones I know dropped early in January. However I think a few people knew about those bucks because the boot tracks where they live is crazy compared to years past at this time. I have a funny feeling they may be gone already. I’ll probably look one more time tomorrow, but it’s time to move on until the snow melts.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Just wanted to bump this up as I just saw 2 of the 3 big bucks by my office, and they were still holding. First time I’ve seen them since this fall, and getting a shed hunter or two coming thru a couple times a week now too.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I’m still hitting the public hard around me so I haven’t been into check cameras, but everyone I’ve talked to said the bucks are showing up bald more frequently now. The number of people in the woods last weekend was crazy even in the hard to get to spots. It’s been making for some slim pickings compared to most years.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Made it out to the corn stubble for about hour of walking today. About 10 mins in the dog spun around and led me to these. It ended up being one of the 8 points I saw multiple times last fall, but could never get a shot.

Attachments:
    1. 20210225_155205.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.