2020 MN Fishing opener reports

• Nate
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Went to ML on Saturday, out of Fisher’s, and caught 53 walleye and a pike. We were out for about 8 hours, and while the snowstorm pushed a lot of the traffic off the lake, it didn’t bother the fish.

As for size, no supertankers, but the smallest was 17 and the vast majority were 18-20. The biggest was 24.5.

It was a good start to the year, and getting home in time for dinner scored a couple points with my wife.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Hit the River North of Sartell and caught some smallies and northern with old man in AM. In the afternoon took my two girls out and caught some rainbows. Rainbows were biting and provided some good entertainment.

I can only think of one lake in the Sartell / Sauk Rapids area that has rainbows. I’ve never targeted them out there. I will have to give that a try someday. if its the lake I’m thinking of its loaded with Small bass (12-14″) and when I say loaded its a understatement. Nice deep cold water lake. I usually take my cousin out there each fall and we keep a few limits of those small bass for him to stock his freezer for a few meals over the winter. He now says those cold water bass are as good if not better eating than walleyes are.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Hit the lower St. Croix this weekend for a full day on Saturday and it was pretty slow. Caught 3 nice 16″ saugers and 6 other species (Sturgeon, Smallmouth, Sheepshead, White Bass, Perch, and Shad), all on jig and a minnow. Nothing on plastics or raps, and not a ton of boats other than people bottom fishing by the Kinnickinnic. Weather was great until it started raining pretty good around 6 pm.

Deuces
    Participant

Great pic Graham! waytogo

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Really slow opening day for me in the cold spring area. Only managed 2 Eyes, a handful of pike and Bass, and way to many Catfish. The water temps were in the 53-54 range after being at 60+ about a week ago. I’m sure the falling water temps didn’t help at all. There was also almost 0 weed growth – I think this was also a big factor. Hopefully with some slightly warmer temps on the way later in the week into early next week the bite will improve.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Really slow opening day for me in the cold spring area. Only managed 2 Eyes, a handful of pike and Bass, and way to many Catfish. The water temps were in the 53-54 range after being at 60+ about a week ago. I’m sure the falling water temps didn’t help at all. There was also almost 0 weed growth – I think this was also a big factor. Hopefully with some slightly warmer temps on the way later in the week into early next week the bite will improve.

i took a drive around the chain, it wasnt for the lack of people trying. the accesses by the cold spring hwy 23 bridge, 22 access and the access down by or past Thyens lake was full of vehicles. and this was about 10;30 ish!!!!

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

The Chain was much more busy than I’ve ever seen it. I kind of thought that with the whole Virus issue and the Really cold temps that the # of people would have been way down – NOT !!!!

weedis
    Participant
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>weedis wrote:</div>
    Hit the River North of Sartell and caught some smallies and northern with old man in AM. In the afternoon took my two girls out and caught some rainbows. Rainbows were biting and provided some good entertainment.

I can only think of one lake in the Sartell / Sauk Rapids area that has rainbows. I’ve never targeted them out there. I will have to give that a try someday. if its the lake I’m thinking of its loaded with Small bass (12-14″) and when I say loaded its a understatement. Nice deep cold water lake. I usually take my cousin out there each fall and we keep a few limits of those small <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass for him to stock his freezer for a few meals over the winter. He now says those cold water <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass are as good if not better eating than <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes are.

Yea Im sure it’s the lake your thinking of. As for the trout, best time to go is now before the water gets warm and they move deep to the thermocline. Early morning or late afternoons are best. Troll small size 8 husky jerks, original floaters and jointers. Don’t need to run too deep as they are towards the top of water column. I was running 90-100′ behind boat. There are plenty of bass in there. I haven’t targeted them in quite a few years but used to in the younger days and there was plenty.

mnfisherman18
    Participant

Im a little late but wanted to report back on my northern MN opener. The bass were on fire but it was really slow from a walleye and crappie perspective… except a lone 31.25 inch PB for me Saturday afternoon right after the blizzard started to clear.

Caught it in about 7 FoW on a shadow rap, frantically unhooked (completely devoured the rapala), took pictures, and back she went. My only regret is not getting a picture with the old man, but it was only us in the boat. Now researching past posts on here related to replica mounts.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

except a lone 31.25 inch PB for me Saturday afternoon right after the blizzard started to clear.

Pics or it didn’t happen! lol. I would take a 1 walleye weekend any day if that was the 1 walleye! Congrats

tim hurley
    Participant

Congrats on the 31-great fish!

mnfisherman18
    Participant

Picture of the fish:

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1841.png

michael keehr
    Participant

Late to the party as usual we were on Mille Lacs again this year as well we caught fish but was probably the slowest evening bite we have had in 8 years. We did get in on some nice crappie on friday and 2 really nice sunfish. The bite at sunset on Saturday and Sunday was just not what it had been in years past. The water temp where we caught the crappie dropped almost 9 degrees from Friday to midday saturday.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Was out on turtle lake in Shoreview. Slaughtered em.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Did you catch you own spot tails crappie?

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Got back out on tonka this evening for opener part 2, fished from 3:30- 7:30 and got 3 nice eaters and my dad released a 22.5″. It was a good night, lots of boats on the lake.

Trev
    Participant
    Battle Lake, MN

One of our groups from Saturday. Otter Tail

Attachments:
    1. E180FCD0-F375-419B-94FD-2A30AC0FE3CB.jpeg

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Got back out on tonka this evening for opener part 2, fished from 3:30- 7:30 and got 3 nice eaters and my dad released a 22.5″. It was a good night, lots of boats on the lake.

Nice Dustin. What depths you finding them?

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Under 30 feet, spot tails work best. I have a minnow trap next to the access.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.