2019 Big Stone Ice Out Status

• Aaron Snyder

Hello!

I was hoping to get out to Big Stone for the first time before MN opener and while the Mississippi is still high. Looks like ice out is normally sometime in mid-April and it ranges +/- 2 weeks.

How are things looking there now? Any guesses from the locals?

Thanks for any information people can provide.

Aaron

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Pretty sure Big Stone is flooded. Give Arties Bait in Ortonville a call.They are really good at giving current reports on their facebook page too.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I was fishing on 2+ feet of pretty good ice yesterday. It will be a while yet.

zooks

Pretty sure Big Stone is flooded.

The far south end of the lake always floods because the Whetstone pushes into the lake ahead of the dam that starts the MN river. You’ve got 25+ miles of lake north of that with good, clean ice otherwise and agree it will be a while before there’s open water.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>beardly wrote:</div>
    Pretty sure Big Stone is flooded.

The far south end of the lake always floods because the Whetstone pushes into the lake ahead of the dam that starts the MN river. You’ve got 25+ miles of lake north of that with good, clean ice otherwise and agree it will be a while before there’s open water.

Good to know! Thanks! I took Arties reports as the whole lake. My apologies!

MJM

Saw some drone video from Sunday, small open water at creek mouths. Maybe Easter if rain and warm winds.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

If we could have a day with a decent wind I think it will all go. Middle of the lake is open all the way across. The warm today and rain tomorrow might do the trick too.

Mos’

Asked last year but I’ll ask again.. are we looking at the north end full of those weeds again??

tornadochaser

Asked last year but I’ll ask again.. are we looking at the north end full of those weeds again??

Likely the “new” normal as improved water quality = more weeds.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

The weeds have been 1-3feet tall the last few months of ice fishing. They are here to stay IMO. June can suck to fish but after they pull out it isn’t so bad then except for cleaning off the shorelines.

Mos’

That’s fair/understandable. I ask because typically I am casting the shorelines up north early for fish.. past couple of years that was not happening with the weeds. South end fishes a little differently with deeper water from what I understand. Mostly pitching jigs to islands down there or is there a shoreline bite as well?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Plenty of good shoreline fishing in the South half. I wish the North half would come back, but it forced me to learn the lower half better.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

A couple buddies and I plan on heading to Big Stone May 4, first time for us. We will see how things play out but looking at lake maps it seems walleye have plenty of spawning ground throughout the system. For those that fish it often do they make any type of run North for spawning?

Andrew Pansch

It will be off by the weekend. My guess is Friday as That ice doesn’t have much left in it. Good rain in the forecast and warm temps the very latest Sunday.

Mos’

Is Traverse ice out pretty consistent with Big Stone’s? Is it fished similarly? If I cannot make it all the way down to Ortonville and the ice is of Traverse as well would give more fishing time vs drive time!

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Anybody been out lately? Heading there Saturday, looks like it’s supposed to be nice out. Lots of boats I imagine plus tourney going on. Excited to get out.

Aaron Snyder

Great weather today, terrible bite. Got skunked after 13 hours on the water. Tried fishing North, South and in all depths with all presentations.
    Water temps were at about 52.
    Didn’t actually talk to anybody that caught an ‘eye.

Mos’

Sounds about right.. made my second trip of the year down there and still no walleye to be found for me. I got 2 white bass casting a crank bait at Goose Island.. thought I would have gotten into a lot more then that but just the 2

A – Aron
    Red Wing

Heading out this weekend with the family. Still pretty slow ?

tornadochaser

Heading out this weekend with the family. Still pretty slow ?

No. You’ll catch fish. Likely 4-5 species depending on presentation.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.