• buschman
    Participant
    Pool 2

Hi Guys, just a quick updated.. Horns are on the ground. My uncle found a 5 point side two weekends ago. 2.5 yr buck. We could not find the other side before the snow hit but he is bald now and lost it somewhere. Still a lot running around with head gear but it has started.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I’ve seen 5 bucks the last couple weeks in the metro, and only one had lost one side. Should be dropping soon tho!

huskerdu
    Participant

Anybody ever try somthing like this?

Attachments:
    1. image-1.png

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

No, and they don’t work.. They kill deer. Aside from the nasty death. I am 100% convinced that the only reason they would fall off in or around that thing is that they were ready and would have fallen off there regardless of if the antler got tangled in cords. Antlers are not like loose teeth. One day they are connected by bone, the next day the animal’s testosterone level reaches a specific mark and they pop off. That’ show it works.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

I don’t mean to sound harsh.. Just trying to educate.

I don’t blame guys for thinking that sheds fall by shed traps, or “fence jumps” or narrow creeks where they jump across and jar them loose. I’m certain this does happen on occasion but it’s merely a coincidence of the timing of when the buck was ready..

gonecribbin
    Participant
    reads landing MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>huskerdu wrote:</div>

No, and they don’t work.. They kill deer. Aside from the nasty death. I am 100% convinced that the only reason they would fall off in or around that thing is that they were ready and would have fallen off there regardless of if the antler got tangled in cords. Antlers are not like loose teeth. One day they are connected by bone, the next day the animal’s testosterone level reaches a specific mark and they pop off. That’ show it works.

If thats the case, why do most deer cast their 2nd antler days-weeks later?

riverruns
    Inactive

I agree I wouldn’t use it either. Also is that even legal? Not up on feeding laws.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I think shed traps are illegal in MN

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

2017 Minnesota Statutes

97B.22 COLLECTING ANTLER SHEDS.
    (a) A person may take and possess naturally shed Next antlers without a license.

(b) A person may not place, arrange, or set equipment in a manner that is likely to artificially pull, sever, or otherwise cause antlers of live deer, moose, elk, or caribou to be Previous shed or removed.

I wouldn’t have thunk!

sticker
    Participant

Thanks BK, I was pretty sure I had read that, but didn’t have the initiative to look it up like you did waytogo

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I went to see if anyone had snagged the dead head yet that I found earlier in the year. Apparently the deer have been checking on it as well including at least one buck! I glassed this deer in the cedars with two other bucks a week ago, and they were all still carrying then.

Attachments:
    1. 20180212_175511.jpg

2. 20180212_144324.jpg

sticker
    Participant

Nice find!!

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Its been a slow year so far. I walked 6 miles of awesome coyntry yeaterday for the old chewed up one below. Anyone else having any luck?

Attachments:
    1. 20180316_162349.jpg

saugeye-steve
    Participant

One day they are connected by bone, the next day the animal’s testosterone level reaches a specific mark and they pop off. That’ show it works.

Now that there is funny!

sticker
    Participant

I haven’t even tried yet, still too much snow at the farm and the bucks don’t winter at my home. I am hoping to get to the farm this weekend and look around.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I saw a couple bucks still carrying last week in the metro.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyebuster5 wrote:</div>
    One day they are connected by bone, the next day the animal’s testosterone level reaches a specific mark and they pop off. That’ show it works.

Now that there is funny!

How is that funny Steve? It’s how it works. Read up on it.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Almost every article I have ever read says the pedicle starts to weaken over the coarse of weeks after testosterone levels drop. Most articles state that once the pedicle gets to a certain point the antler will drop within 24-48hrs, but that point is usually not explained real well. So walleyebuster you are probably partially correct if the deer does nothing but walk in CRP, open timber, and fields. However deer are constantly hopping over trees and fences, crossing ditches/streams, or simply bumping into branches while walking a trail. Then in my mind it’s logical to think many antlers fall off, due to a weakened pedicle, before they are “ready” if you want to call it that.

Antler traps are another subject all together. I agree with you 100% that they are a bad idea. Forcing a deer to shed before it’s ready is probably not good. If an antler doesn’t separate relatively clean at the pedicle, and takes part of the skull with, it can cause infections. However damaged pedicles can cause some very cool antlers the following year!

Take my info for what you want. I am no biologist but I have read up on it a lot!

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Almost every article I have ever read says the pedicle starts to weaken over the coarse of weeks after testosterone levels drop. Most articles state that once the pedicle gets to a certain point the antler will drop within 24-48hrs, but that point is usually not explained real well. So walleyebuster you are probably partially correct if the deer does nothing but walk in CRP, open timber, and fields. However deer are constantly hopping over trees and fences, crossing ditches/streams, or simply bumping into branches while walking a trail. Then in my mind it’s logical to think many antlers fall off, due to a weakened pedicle, before they are “ready” if you want to call it that.

Antler traps are another subject all together. I agree with you 100% that they are a bad idea. Forcing a deer to shed before it’s ready is probably not good. If an antler doesn’t separate relatively clean at the pedicle, and takes part of the skull with, it can cause infections. However damaged pedicles can cause some very cool antlers the following year!

Take my info for what you want. I am no biologist but I have read up on it a lot!

Right..Exactly what I am saying. The levels drop and when it’s ready the antler will pop/fall off. My point is that I got laughed at for saying exactly that. ) My point also being is that in that 24-48 hour timeframe that you mention there is an exact second where it loosens enough to separate from the pedicle. And I can tell you from hundreds and hundreds of hours of shed hunting that maybe 5% of the sheds I have found are in an area where it could have been “knocked off” or caused by jumping a fence or a ditch where it was “jolted off” 95% of sheds are found either in a bedding area or a food source.

I giggle at different outdoor forum topics where guys post “where to find sheds” or articles on the same topic and the first 3 bullet points are fence jumps, creek jumps and trails where they get caught on brush or trees. In the future I am going to fuel that fire and point out the falsity of that so guys stay out of my bedding areas and food sources and continue to walk fence lines all day long (more sheds for me!) ) Rock on boys!

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I think people maybe misunderstood you a bit, but I still think you need to rethink your logic to some degree. The main reason there are more antlers in food and bedding is because the deer spend nearly all of their time in those areas. Your odds can’t help but go up if you spend time in those areas. Very few people will dispute that.

I personally don’t think many antlers make it to the point that they just pop off as you put it, but hey what do I know.

Now let’s get this back track. Let’s see some antlers people! Here’s the most recent its not big, but atleast I’m finding a few.

Attachments:
    1. 20180329_164940.jpg

sticker
    Participant

Dang I want to shed hunt badly. The recent snow makes it kind of difficult, but I am heading to the farm next weekend no matter what the weather.

Keep up the good work Hillhiker waytogo

Here’s a pic of a pile of deer out of my son’s back window last night.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1168.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

WOW!

Nice Herd.

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

I walked just over 9 miles in some nasty country yesterday. I came out with one for the effort, but it’s one of the bucks I was hoping to find and the biggest shed of the year. I saw the buck a few times throughout last year, but never did get him on camera. This is the slightly weaker side at 66 7/8″ which should put him in the low 150’s. Some good potential for what is a 3.5 or maybe 4.5 year old deer! Next weekend me and my dad are walking the neighboring farm so I might still get to match him up.

Attachments:
    1. 20180407_075006.jpg

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Forgot the antler pic…

Attachments:
    1. 20180408_144843.jpg

sticker
    Participant

SWEET!!! I wish it would quit flippin snowing so I could get out and look. They are talking another 3-8″ for the farm this coming weekend flame That would put a hold on going again flame

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

The snow has definitely made shed hunting tough this year! Hopefully this next storm is the last one for your farm

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

I found a shed Sticker! wink

Attachments:
    1. Shed.png

sticker
    Participant

Finally got up to the farm. Long 4.5 hour drive with the road conditions Friday, but we got there. Went out Saturday morning for a stroll and found 3. First one was from a buck we call Super G2. I think he was a 3.5 year old last year.

Attachments:
    1. 3-sheds.jpg

sticker
    Participant

Got me another decent shed over the weekend. I put on some serious miles this weekend, but just found the one. He is going to be a beauty this year!!!

Attachments:
    1. shed.jpg

hillhiker
    Participant
    SE MN

Looks like a good one! I’m planning for one more hike this weekend before I totally hang up the boots for the fishing rod. It was awfully nice out in the boat last weekend!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.