2017 Ram 1500 Trailer Brake

• tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I have a very basic question about trailer brakes since I have no experience with them. I’ve towed many trailers but never anything with integrated brakes more than surge brakes. I have a 2017 Ram Big Horn I purchased brand new. I do not see the trailer brake controller (pictured below) installed anywhere on the dash, but I’ve been told that when I connect a trailer with brakes the vehicle will recognize it and the instrument cluster will display the information and I am able adjust the gain from there. Is this true or do I need to purchase a controller, like below, for it to work? A few friends just purchased Chevy’s and they come with the controller slider knob standard on the dash.

Attachments:
    1. Trailer-Break-Controller.png

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a 2017 Big Horn that has that exact control pictured on the very bottom drivers side of the dash. Also everything (radio, climate control etc.) shows up on the display along with having a button/dial for it, so I’d think the trailer brakes are the same but I haven’t had to use mine yet to confirm. Hope that helps!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mine is like big werms right on the dash.
    But if not it is a easy install if you want to or need a brake controller

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

The aftermarket controllers are very easy to install, and I highly recommend getting an inertia based controller vs. time based.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Thank you, everyone. That’s what I was assuming – that I would have to put one in myself. Doesn’t look to be that difficult. You recommend the DrawTite?

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Drawtite is what I generally use.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve got a Tekonsha Primus IQ that I would recommend as well.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Tekonsha is good also

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Tekonsha. I put one in my 2017 Ram Bighorn – piece of cake. Seriously, less than 30 minutes from unboxing to done. Works great!

Scott

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.