2017 ice/fish reports

• glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

just a quick update on the horseshoe chain. last reports i heard was ice thickness varies greatly and most are avoiding the chain right now, same with rice lake, and last i heard……..2 days ago………..koronis was still mostly open!!!

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

I’d steer clear of the Chain for now. Even the shallow bays have highly variable ice. 5 inches next to 2.5. Its full of cracks too.

Sam
    Participant
    St.Francis

I’m hoping to get up there this year for some iced catfish do people drive out or is the atv recommended

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

that truely depends on when you decide to come up if you use an ATV or drive out. AND where you go. your better off asking closer to when you head this way. right now i wouldnt trust a wheeler.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

there where a few people out fishing on the chain………..not many. i did see one wheeler…….the rest walked.

tim hurley
    Participant

how far do you have to walk to get to a good area?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

not sure what you define as the good area, but from what i seen they were going off the winter access. some where in the bay, some where around what i believe is called dog island and others where around the point. there was noone near the meth hole. i did not drive around krons bay! there was no activity on cedar island side access except a spear shack. just beyond the acceccess in that small bay that butts up to the road there where quite a few out there, best i know is they fish panfish there but are small!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

my granddaughter, her boyfriend and a friend of there’s where out on big lake near the chain……….said there was a foot of ice. this was last nite. 12-26.

oh and only 3 crappies!!!!!!!!

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

I’m seeing vehicles parking on the ice near the Winter Access. Seems a little premature, but they’re still above water.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i drove by the chain Thursday early afternoon and didn’t see that, all where parked on the shoulder, but that was about 2 pm. i agree bass thumb!!!!

Stanley
    Participant

Does anyone know if the ice is safe enough to drive out to the meth hole towing a 8×17 ice castle? Looking for a place to fish this weekend with my son and a buddy and his son and thought that trying for some cats might be fun.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I drove by the chain this past Saturday afternoon and seen no activity near the meth hole.. there where vehicles with big houses other places. I don’t know how much ice is out there.

NPgolfer
    Participant

How much ice is out on the main channel?

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Haven’t been on the chain in a while. There is plenty of ice for vehicles, but your reference to the main channel has me confused.

Main channel, I think of the river, I’d never go near that.

NPgolfer
    Participant

Sorry glenn57, I meant “Meth Hole”…

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

There were vehicles around that area fishing Sunday afternoon with good size houses. Just need to know where and where not to go.

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

There’s a ton of ice out there now. Still don’t want to drive near the Meth Hole or any areas along the river.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

the winter landings really took a beating from yesterday. i couldn’t believe there was 3-4 vehicles out yesterday much less one out today. the river had at least twice the open water today then yesterday. there where a few that used wheelers to go out.

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

I heard there were a few trucks out yesterday. I can’t imagine the ice integrity is any good at the accesses. It doesn’t matter how thick it is in the middle. The weakest link breaks the chain.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.