2017 1650 Lund Rebel LS Damage

• Gene Coltran

You know those utube videos about boat ramp fails? You know it can never happen to you……until it does.

I was retrieving my 2017 1650 Lund Rebel LS with a 60hp Merc and as I was pulling it up the ramp the winch let loose and it slipped off the end of the trailer and landed on the edge where the transom meets the bottom of the boat. I had neglected to hook the safety chain, my bad. dIt didn’t come all the way off the trailer but stopped resting, at an angle, on the transom edge and the back edge of the bunks. I used the winch to pull the boat back onto the trailer. The motor was tilted up and didn’t seem to be damaged. The transom is wrinkled and the back edge of the bottom of the boat is damaged. We are in the Puget Sound are in Washington State. The damage is insured.

Questions-
    1. In checking on the internet and the local Lund Dealers, there doesn’t seem to be anyone who repairs Lund boats with the thin skinned aluminum. The dealer where I bought it said they normally take pictures and send them back to the factory for an estimate. The boat then is shipped back to the factory for repairs. Is this what the folks on this forum have found? How difficult is it to repair hull damage on Lunds?

2. What other types of damage should I be looking for, such as damage at the points where the hull was resting on the ends of the bunks?

3. How should the hull be tested for leaks?

4. Would bouncing on the tilt mechanism of the Merc cause damage?

Thanks for your help on this.

Gene

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I would probably try talking my insurance agent into a new hull.

Hopefully the repair estimate comes in close to the cost of replacement.

Good luck!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I dropped a Boat the same way you did, kind of.:doah

Anyway instead cranking mine back on the trailer i threw it in reverse and pushed the boat back in the water. Mine hit hard enough to destroy the mounting brackets for the kicker motor. After settling down and removing the kicker i launched the boat again. I sat at the dock watching for the leak to start. It never did. Had the boat 4 more years and bone dry. Before hitting the panic button dunk it back in the water and see what happens.

fishspike

I agree with Dutchboy. Dropped my crest line the same way. Oblong the drain plug. Ran it for quite awhile. No issues

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.