2016 250 SHO MAKING OIL

• fischman

My motor now has 100 hours on it and still seems to be making oil, Can only get about 25-30 hours on the oil then it is right up to or just past the full mark. Anybody else having this problem with these motors?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Im not familiar with that particular engine but I would smell your oil and see if it’s smells like gas.
    Your engine could be running rich and the excess fuel is ending up in your crankcase.
    If it smells like gas change it right away and get it in to have it checked out.
    Gas in your oil will cause major engine failures eventually.

grizzly
    nebraska

they all do

BrianF

It’s a common problem with that engine, but solvable.

Couple of things, if you’re running synthetic oil, change the oil/filter and return to conventional. That will help.

Also, you need to run the engine continuously at WOT for a long time to seat the rings. Mine didn’t quit making oil till I did this (25 mile run at WOT 2X).

Finally, you’ve got to prop the engine right. If you’re over-propped and not turning 6000 rpms at WOT, then the motor will continue to make oil.

Those engines are great, but they like to be run hard, at or very near the 6000rpm mark.

These things did it for me after battling ‘oil making’ for quite a while – 144 hours if memory serves. Many calls to Yamaha master technicians, hours of on-line research, and numerous trips to my mechanic to change oil/filters at Yamaha’s suggestion.

Like I said, a common problem but very fixable. Nothing is wrong with the motor, just some break-in and operating nuances to understand and work with.

fischman

I am using synthetic oil, Changing it to conventional tomorrow.
    I am running a 19 pitch bravo 1 LT and turning 5800 RPMS at WOT.

l have made some 15-20 mile runs at 3/4 to full throttle but with synthetic oil.

May need to put the 3 blade SWS prop back on to get up around 5900-6000 RPM.

BrianF

At 5800 rpms, you’re running close to recommended. You can probably seat the rings with just a change back to conventional oil and some very long runs at WOT. Get the engine hot and keep it there. Let it cool down by idling. Repeat.

You’ll read this repeatedly when doing on line research…run this motor like you stole it and you’ll have less problems than if you baby it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Once broke in you can go back to full synthetic. Brad Penn makes a great break in oil.

fischman

Thanks for all the input guys, I changed the oil today so now I need to go out and run it hard.
    Hopefully this does the trick, Will report back with results.

andys
    kasson

Leave the motor trimmed down that will work it a bit harder and break it in faster, thats how I did my f150,worked great..

fischman

I ran the motor yesterday for 27 miles at WOT 5800 rpm,let it idle to cool down then ran another 27 miles at WOT.
    Checked the oil today and it rose quite a bit for one trip, From about 1/3 up the dipstick to over half.
    Doesn’t look like this worked or should I change the oil and see if it rises from there?
    Damn this is frustrating!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Running an engine at a constant speed is not best for breakin. Also breakin will happen fairly early in the engines life. IMO I would be working with the dealer to document your concerns and see what they will do to help fix it. You should not be getting that much gas into the oil, something is not right.

BrianF

Yeah, call Yamaha if you haven’t already. Tell them all the things you’ve done to try to remedy the issue and see what they say. Can you let us know?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I highly encourage you to get to a good Yamaha dealership to double check everything and not assume good or bad. There can be several contributing factors to these symptoms.
    I doubt any of us reading this post can fix it over the internet ! :]

fischman

I have already made an APPT with the dealership and the Yamaha Rep will aslo be there to look at it, Thanks for all the input guys.
    I will report back when i find out the problem.

fischman

Dealer just contacted me on my motor and they found that both of the thermostats were in backwards from the factory, So the motor was never warming up to temp.
    Still waiting to hear what the Yamaha Rep has to say about this.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Dealer just contacted me on my motor and they found that both of the thermostats were in backwards from the factory, So the motor was never warming up to temp.
    Still waiting to hear what the Yamaha Rep has to say about this.

OMG !

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

Go on “The Hull Truth” website, this topic has thousands of threads and opinions. My 300 has 300 hours still making oil. It gets run hard when possible but where I fish the big bodies of water keep the throttle pulled back. Mine spins up to 5900 rpm. There is a design flaw in this motor. Like it or not that’s the fact. I repowered my Pursuit with twin 250 Mercs. Trolling day after day no oil making issues. My Yamaha is a great motor but doesn’t inspire confidence when you go 40 miles to camp one way and wonder if the film strength is being deleted in the oil.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.