2015 minnesota turkey hunting zones

• 692fisherman
    Participant
    champlin mn

does anybody know where I can find out what the zones are for the 2015 spring turkey hunt? I looked online a little and cant seem to figure it out

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Can we get someone who has a direct line to the Almighty to please get us some decent weather during the early weeks?

Good gawd, the last two years have been just absolutely horsesh!t as far as weather. Snow, rain, wind, standing water, deep snow, mud, muck. We’ve had it all.

I deliberately moved my selection back 2 weeks last year to try to get into some better weather. Ha! There was still snow in the woods, everything was under water, it was raining both of the days I took off to hunt.

And finally I got a tom coming in, he’s talking to me, and it was so wet that unbeknownst to me I had positioned myself on one shore of a newly-formed lake. And the tom was on the other side of that lake. I couldn’t figure out why he didn’t just come right down the ridge and straight to me. Then after he changed directions and disappeared, I walked up the ridge and realized the top of the ridge was a basin that was now a large pond about 3 feet deep.

Grouse

jerad
    Participant
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Having grown up hunting IA and then moving to MN in 08′, one of the things that just puzzles the crap out of me is why 99% of MN turkey hunters want to hunt the earliest seasons? I just wait and hunt the later seasons when the birds will actually respond to a call and I can kinda pick some nicer weather to hunt in.

river rat randy
    Participant
    Hager City WI

Having grown up hunting IA and then moving to MN in 08′, one of the things that just puzzles the crap out of me is why 99% of MN turkey hunters want to hunt the earliest seasons? I just wait and hunt the later seasons when the birds will actually respond to a call and I can kinda pick some nicer weather to hunt in.

..That’s what I have done for many yrs. The Hens are way way more split up. Most if not all of the Hens are on there nest. But butt the Big Boys are not done yet. They rrr looking for a little more action. I have been really amazed how far some Toms will ROAM looking to get lucky a time or two again. …rrr

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

The reason–at least what’s been told to me several times–is that especially north of the Twin Cities, there are fewer birds that are more hassled by hunting pressure. So after the first couple of weeks, they’ve had enough breeding time for the number of hens and they’ve been called to, chased, and shot at enough to become very wary.

No idea if that’s true or not. And believe me, I’d love to hear that it’s totally not if that’s really the case. It’s just the theory that many seem to work under.

Grouse

jerad
    Participant
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

The locals that I have talked to here have the attitude of “I want first shot at the birds”. I think that the birds are pressured alot at first and then the pressure gets less and less and the birds can calm back down for the later seasons. I like hunting when there are less people afield also.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Early or late does not matter to me. I just like going the early season MN cause i’m hunting later in other states. Bring the bad weather and rain or snow. Keeps all the people out and I can get permission a lot easier if something not working on my chuck of land. I’ve had luck knocking on doors when I have been scouting during bad weather because the hunters are staying home.Love the birds you can take in the snow. )

The weather does not ruin too much for turkey hunting for me often more other hunters or tresspassers ruin the hunts.

When I’m bringing out kids though that is tough. The rules for the kids are great and can a better chance out when the weather is a little better for them to hunt in.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

One turn off to later in the season, especially in East Central Mn, is it falls right in the heart of woodtick season. With one of the highest incident rates of Lymes in the country it may influence a hunter or two.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I applied for A again this year even after I told myself C only for a few years. The reality, I remember the last two spring hunts more than most others I’ve experienced. They are hard. I buried my pickup two years ago and had to dig it out with a freaking folding chair I carry. Ya, it sucked trudging through snow up to tookus, but man that hunt will stick with me for years.

I’m pumped for 2015 spring already!!

3 years ago on this property, we were up there 3 weeks before the season opened. It was that really nice winter we had. I watched 40 birds get called up to side of my pickup(20 yards). Hens and toms alike. Craziest thing I’ve ever seen. We sat and filmed them and my buddy had the gobblers going nuts.

692fisherman
    Participant
    champlin mn

thanks for all the responses guys!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.