2011 250 Mercury Verado shift actuator alarm (critical)

• Alex Templeton

Evening folks, I have a 2011 250 verado that’s giving me intermittent fits. Motor runs like a top, no shifting issues no sputtering no clunks. When my issue first started I was on plane running around 4300rpms alarm went off and my motor went into a limp mode chugging not willing to take any action from the throttle. I shut down started back up and the issue went away for the remainder of the day. The next outing it did it again this time while powering up to get on plane. I again shut down and went about my day. got to the ramp and went to power load the boat and again this alarm went off, this time the motor acted as if it were in throttle only. Running at 3800rpms constantly. I again shut down and got it cranked up on the trailer. Got home checked every connection I could find I came to find a loose negative connection at the battery, and what I believe to be a blown or roached fuse. (Looks burnt) but tests on the bottom side of the fuse the same as the voltage off the battery. It is a 100amp blue inline fuse sucked into some real tough heat shrink. I believe they are called MICI fuses? I am yet to put the boat on the water since, but is this something that would cause the alarm?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. ED683351-CFD0-4AED-A3C7-A3F2C3EDB561-scaled.jpeg

Iowaboy1

That fuse end does look nasty, it may read battery voltage but that doesnt mean it will carry a load.
    As far as the shift fault, that motor is sensitive to voltage issues and its possible that fuse isnt helping matters if it cant carry the load of the system.

Another thing you can check out that seems to be a common problem is the neutral switch, from there, binding linkages/bushings and lastly the shift actuator itself.
    Also make sure the alternator is doing its job.

mojogunter

I can’t help with the problem, but if you want to get it out of limp mode quickly, shut off the engine and turn the power back on without starting it. With the power on but not running shift it into reverse wide open and leave throttle in that position for 30 seconds. That will erase the code. Move the throttle back to neutral and start the engine. If there is no issue it will be out of limp mode. My motor gives a shift alarm when I first start the engine if the temperature is about 40F or colder. Once it is running and warms the lower unit up it is good to go the rest of the day. 45F or warmer never an issue.

cheers

I have no knowledge about your motor but on my Opti Max the alarm had a code that would identify the issue. You need to pay attention to the number of beeps and duration . Something like 3 short beeps then 2 long , pause then repeat

Alex Templeton

Thinking you may be right with the neutral switch, or possibly the throttle only switch, RPMs just above idle are all over the place when in gear. Smart craft read out fluctuates from 750-890, down to 550 new today it the alarm will half ass chirp the RPMs will drop down to 525 and the motor will either rev up like it’s in throttle only (after being put back into neutral) or die.

Adam Steffes

I would say take it to the dealer and let them diagnose what codes it is throwing. You can probably do the work once they figure out what is wrong.

Alex Templeton

I’ve had it to two different dealers, still no solid answers, it’s throwing 219, 9,& 181 faults

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.