2003 Johnson 8hp 2 stroke stored upright in the garage for 9 years

• picklerick
    Central WI

I bought it new and haven’t used it in years. Just wondering what a fair asking price is and what you would suggest replacing right away. One of my neighbors is interested in buying it and I don’t want to rip him off or have him dealing with things that should have been replaced immediately. Appreciate anyone’s input.

Timmy

Plugs & Impeller and see gow it runs?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In good to excellent condition it’s worth $600-800 all day long. In near-new condition, it is worth even more. These smaller outboards are getting increasingly difficult to find and buying new is even more.

I would do the impeller, plugs, and lower unit lube. The carb may need cleaning if it was not drained prior to storage.

I’ve worked on dozens of these small OMC outboards. They are fantastic machines.

picklerick
    Central WI

It’s my neighbor (never met him) across the lake who showed up at our rummage sale on Sun. He wasn’t interested in ice gear and asked if I had anything for open water. I have an Alumacraft TS-14 that hasn’t floated since 2012 flipped over by the lake and the outboard I used to run on it. Neither of us had a clue what the motor is worth and there weren’t any exact motors to compare online. Possibly because they’re still chugging along? I told him about $600 since I paid $1100 new and it was in great shape, just needed a cosmetic wipe down. Impeller, plugs, and lower unit for sure but some other dude from the area mentioned he worked at a small engine shop and mentioned something by/above the intake that should be replaced. Not sure what he was talking about, but it was right above the lower unit seam. I definitely didn’t drain the carb because I wouldn’t know how.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

but some other dude from the area mentioned he worked at a small engine shop and mentioned something by/above the intake that should be replaced.

“the intake” intake for the water pump? If so, I’m guessing he was referring to the impeller.

My concern might be the carburetor might need a rebuild kit, (new gasket, needle and seat). Gaskets dry out and leak. Needles and seats take a “set” in the rubber tip and often need replaced. A rebuild kit takes care of those issues.

If the sale includes a tank and hose, the primer bulb for the hose may need to be replaced. Just normal aging, regardless of actual usage.

picklerick
    Central WI

The tank became my vessel for draining my auger and tiller gas into so it’s a no go for attaching to a motor anymore. Anyone interested in buying this outboard? Make an offer. Would be willing to bring it within reasonable distance of Iron County, WI if Waupaca is too far of a haul. I realize that a good 95% of you are in MN.

picklerick
    Central WI

Coincidentally, I live in Manawa, WI and there used to be an OMC plant in town before I lived here. My old neighbor worked there.

pass0047
    Pool4

My dad had a 15 hp 2 stroke johnson that sat for at least 10 years up right. Started right up 3 pull

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The only way to know for sure would an outboard that’s been sitting on used for this long really needs is to fire it up in a test tank. I’ve rescued outboards from garage sales that had sat unused for 20 years. Some of them fire right up some of them need a lot of work.

Compared to other outboards of the era OMC outboards are elegantly simple. In my opinion the late ’80s and early 90s were the absolute Pinnacle of two-stroke outboard technology. They are so simple and so reliable it’s amazing. I think there will be OMC outboards still running a hundred years from now.

queenswake
    NULL

These small 2 strokes are worth a lot to me because of their torque. The same HP 4 stroke in these smaller motors can barely get a 12-14 footer on plane.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Short shaft or long ?
    That carb is about as simple as it gets. I would at least rip it apart and clean it no mater what.

isu22andy

My old man had a toro single stage snowblower that he got in the 80s that sat in the rafters of his shed for 15 years before I dug it out. He drained it of fuel and ran it dry when he put it up there . I got it down one year and put fuel in it , nothing else , not even a new plug . Been running 7 years since . Still going today . Used her this winter .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.