2 Lines on Two In-Land MN Rivers (March 2023?)

• 3Rivers
    Participant

I had a conversation about the bill yesterday at the Roundtable. I asked about why it wasn’t in the House Bill. The best guess was that they held it out to be a bargaining chip in conference negotiations. My take on it is that meeting with Rick Hanson (Chair of the House Evo committee) is in order. It’s called giving the bill legs. Meetings, emails, commentaries in papers and magazines. The DNR can not lobby for bills – at least not in overt ways. Their a State Agency and dice their not opposing it, a grassroots effort

HAHA what a joke!!

I have another name for it, use your imagination. )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Their a State Agency and dice their not opposing it, a grassroots effort

It was their idea. doah

3Rivers
    Participant

And I love how this has been dragging on for nearly a DECADE and the suggestion is that a meeting with the House Chair is in order.

WHAT?????!!!!!

What about the 100 other meetings and time away from work and family and leisure that was spent testifying and meeting with the DNR, and the Senate and even the Governors own administration which ALL were in agreement.

Call it whatever you want, but it was nothing more than a complete stifle from the House and Hansen it’s committee which folded to Walz and his nod. Just another slap in the face with a sideways smile and pat on the back. The MNDNR wants help from it’s citizens. That’s great, but they will get nothing from me ever again, which is sad because I actually get along really well the fisheries guys out in the field and love helping them out when I can. But I’m done.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m too stubborn to quit. crazy

I conversed with Rep. Hanson by email yesterday. He blames Sen. Inglbretson. I talked with Sen. Bill over the phone last night, he blames Hanson.

I would rather have by dick slammed in a door then ever become a politician.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

He blames Sen. Inglbretson. I talked with Sen. Bill over the phone last night, he blames Hanson.

He’s to blame for a lot of the bills that are pushed and ones that fail.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well, Bill isn’t running for another term so there’s that.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Well, Bill isn’t running for another term so there’s that.

Thank goodness! Let’s hope he doesnt have higher asperations like Governor or Senator.

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

So if the DNR is for it…….. just caught up in litigation……. why enforce it then?? …… you know …. like Fireworks

Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

In past Hook and Bullet bills (during the session) things like letters of support from MOHA and other fishing groups were presented. Ongoing emails, commentaries in outdoor weekly’s and monthly’s. Sit downs with Chairs or their staff. You can go it alone but it doesn’t hurt to have help. Avoid blame. Open doors.

3Rivers
    Participant

Perhaps you are confused Buzz, this was a MNDNR policy change bill, not a grass roots thing.
    Brad Parsons Fisheries Chief: “we are requesting this change because we feel our large rivers are underutilized and the second line will provide extra opportunity for anglers”

I don’t think you understand how many sit downs there were leading up to this session.

3Rivers
    Participant

So if the DNR is for it…….. just caught up in litigation……. why enforce it then?? …… you know …. like Fireworks

Not gonna lie, I agree 100%

Hell it might even be worth an enforcement challenge this year….

Buzz
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Ok, I’m as new to the legislature making statute changes to fishing rules as anyone, I’m certainly not an authority. I haven’t understood that policy bills are supposed to be automatic and didn’t require much lobbying by the groups that would benefit. When we got the legacy funding, the DNR supported (and well that should) but we held rallies, submitted white papers and did all the lobbying that the DNR is prevented to do. Boots on the ground and visibly seem to work. It took us ten years to get the bill passed and each year we added more voices.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Anyone interested in going to the capital steps to rally these people to get the bill to the Governor?

Cody Meyers
    Participant

Anyone interested in going to the capital steps to rally these people to get the bill to the Governor?

I’d show up if there was a date or something organized. That is the sort of thing that’s easy to support, I’m frustrated by this….I can’t imagine how you and Darren feel.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From two different sources, it was Hanson that stopped this (and other bills from going through)

He eliminated it from bills that they (House and Senate) agreed on and added it to bills that he knew the senate would want to discuss further.

There will be a special session coming up, if you have a moment, please send a note to the Honorable Rep Hanson asking him to make sure this passes during the special session. He will likely come back and tell you that he did pass it on and the Senate rejected it, but what he won’t mention is what he added on.

[email protected]

Make sure you have a towel and vinegar near your computer. His emails have been covered in snake oil.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

From two different sources, it was Hanson that stopped this (and other bills from going through)

He eliminated it from bills that they (House and Senate) agreed on and added it to bills that he knew the senate would want to discuss further.

There will be a special session coming up, if you have a moment, please send a note to the Honorable Rep Hanson asking him to make sure this passes during the special session. He will likely come back and tell you that he did pass it on and the Senate rejected it, but what he won’t mention is what he added on.

[email protected]

Make sure you have a towel and vinegar near your computer. His emails have been covered in snake oil.

I just emailed him:
    “Hi Rep Hansen-
    Just wanted to send a quick note hoping you will stop standing in the way of the 2 Line Fishing Bill. I understand the horse trading you guys do, but this bill has countless hours of grassroots support AND DNR support. Hopefully you can leave politics out of this one and just do what is right. The outdoors community is watching.

Thanks,

Kory”

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Rep Hansen replied and CC’d Peter Strohmeier (not sure why?):

“Kory:
    You need to check your sources. I offered to take it and Sen Ingebritson refused.

Rick

PS. DNR was not in the room”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

the way i see it is the house (that) took it out of the bill to use to negotiate with the senate. All the offers the house tied the two line language to was not acceptable to the senate

Hence the towel and vinegar.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

So the two line bill for the rivers is as dead as the two line debate for lakes.

Why not team up and go for two lines statewide?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The two line bill for rivers is not dead.

I hate to put words in the mouths of our states policy makers…but,
    If they have a special session after mid terms, I fully expect the two line >for Rivers< to pass. If not special session, it will pass during the next regular session.

The reason for my opinion: The DNR is backing the rivers two line issue.

They are not backing the lakes portion.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.